Why are so many WRs whack jobs?

Teams that have the TE in the FB position in short yardage and RPO
And the reason they are running that TE in the FB position is because they probably don't have an actual FB on the roster so it's just a "TE" playing FB in that specifc instance.

They could play, they'd just have to adapt.

As much as it is to glorify gritty 70's and 80's defense... fear of a massive cheap shot shouldn't prevent receivers from running routes. CB's and Safety's in the 80's were cheap shot artists who often tried to concuss and injure defenseless receivers. I see no honor in that. If you're really a good CB or safety, shut them down using skill and defending them.
They were certainly players that went over the line. But just regular jostling for position or bumping a receiver during his route was accepted as an occupational hazard.

Don’t you know? The Dolphins are going to sit Tyreek Hill this year so they can get the rookie 3rd string TE from Indiana on the field more
Yeah I heard that. I also heard that the Chiefs are going to not have Mahomes on the field nearly as much and put in a TE in his place to run that "trendy 3 TE set" everyone is apparently running.

They were certainly players that went over the line. But just regular jostling for position or bumping a receiver during his route was accepted as an occupational hazard.
Sure. Why do you think the WR's of today who are bigger faster and stronger than the WR's in the 80's would struggle with that?

Yeah I heard that. I also heard that the Chiefs are going to not have Mahomes on the field nearly as much and put in a TE in his place to run that "trendy 3 TE set" everyone is apparently running.
Just imagine if historically great offensive teams had the 3 TE set.. I mean, how many more TD’s Peyton Manning would have thrown on the Colts in 2004 if they had only sat Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Brandon Stokely… and focused on Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard (TE2) out wide, and Ben Hartsock (TE3) in the slot. Manning threw for 49 TD’s that year with only mostly throwing to wide receivers, just imagine if he would have thrown to Hartsock 12 times a game???

Sure. Why do you think the WR's of today who are bigger faster and stronger than the WR's in the 80's would struggle with that?
Because they'd actually get hit. Bumped off their routes. Those guys weren't always polite or gentle about it.

Because they'd actually get hit. Bumped off their routes. Those guys weren't always polite or gentle about it.
So. They are bigger and stronger than the WRs it was happening to then why would that be some sort of a disadvantage? They are also faster. Again how would that be a disadvantage? Just because the rules changed and they don’t have to play under the old rules doesn’t mean they can’t.

So. They are bigger and stronger than the WRs it was happening to then why would that be some sort of a disadvantage? They are also faster. Again how would that be a disadvantage? Just because the rules changed and they don’t have to play under the old rules doesn’t mean they can’t.
It would be a big adjustment as they have never really played under those conditions. Just the newer rules that outlawed the aggressive defense by DBs. Not even just big hits. Just a little nudge can affect a timing route. Those older players knew the tricks (legal or otherwise) that they could get away with without drawing a flag. They could play in those conditions, but it would take some time to adjust to that style.

John Bolton was being interviewed on the Daily Show. In short, he sees Trump as a dangerous man who should NEVER be president EVER again. But he is going to vote 3rd party this year. He can't get himself to vote for Biden.

I guess I would be the same. If I ever could not vote for the Democrat I'd probably just stay home.
Stay home!

WRs and QBs are Prima Donnas baby. That's just how it is. :dunno:

When you can burn and juke the whole team, there's something to that..

It would be a big adjustment as they have never really played under those conditions. Just the newer rules that outlawed the aggressive defense by DBs. Not even just big hits. Just a little nudge can affect a timing route. Those older players knew the tricks (legal or otherwise) that they could get away with without drawing a flag. They could play in those conditions, but it would take some time to adjust to that style.
So if you change the rules the players will have to adjust. That’s your big revelation? You’re allowed to check WRs at the LOS still btw.

So if you change the rules the players will have to adjust. That’s your big revelation? You’re allowed to check WRs at the LOS still btw.
You just love being dense. By the way, you used to be allowed to bump receivers downfield. Not so gently. So you think a bump at the LOS is the same as being bumped downfield?

Forum List

Back