Who owns the west?

That's a lie, we the people are represented IN the federal government and only represented by the federal government in the very specific enumerated powers granted that government by the States. Such as interstate and international trade, and foreign affairs.
Quit deflecting.

We the People are represented by the Federal Government in managing our federal land. The states do not own the land that they, as territories, transfered for the people to the Federal Government as part of state hood.

Horseshit, fakey. the states never transferred jack shit to the federal government. Even if that's how it happened, where does the Constitution authorize the federal government to own vast tracks of unoccupied land?

Last edited:
That's a lie, we the people are represented IN the federal government and only represented by the federal government in the very specific enumerated powers granted that government by the States. Such as interstate and international trade, and foreign affairs.
Quit deflecting.

We the People are represented by the Federal Government in managing our federal land. The states do not own the land that they, as territories, transfered for the people to the Federal Government as part of state hood.

Excuse me, but the feds are not The Empire. Beyond the mandated and extremely limited responsibilities assigned the federal government under the Constitution, the states are sovereign. No land was "transferred" by way of statehood.

If you're going to make stuff up, at least make it entertaining.
The states never held ownership of the public lands before they became states. They were territories completely controlled by the federal government. The only transfers of ownership occurred when the federal government ceded parcels of territorial property to the newly formed states for use as townships and state facilities such as schools. Those specifics were written into the state constitutions before they became states and were declared states by Congress.

SCOTUS will have to reinterpret Article VI, Section 3, Claus 2 of the US Constitution for changes to open the way for new policies of how public lands are handled. That said, the issue of today is not about the broad issue of public lands, but rather the subject of a President being able to declare certain specific public lands as protected under the heading of "Monuments".

bripat's above is easily rebutted by Camp in #42. Any further bripat nonsense about the feds owning nothing will be ignored by me and reported to the mods as trolling.

Last edited:
bripat's silliness above is easily rebutted by Camp in #42. Any further silly bripat nonsense about the feds owning nothing will be ignored by me and reported to the mods as trolling.
You apparently don't understand simple English. Camp refuted nothing i said.

Americans have paid for public lands with blood and treasure. Americans have financed and invested in the upkeep and protection of those lands year after year since they became territories and later as public lands within states. Whenever the topic of transferring those lands to new owners it is nothing more than schemes to allow private interest to exploit the wealth and investments of the American people.

bripat's silliness above is easily rebutted by Camp in #42. Any further silly bripat nonsense about the feds owning nothing will be ignored by me and reported to the mods as trolling.
You apparently don't understand simple English. Camp refuted nothing i said.
What did you find inaccurate in my post?
I found nothing inaccurate. It just didn't contradict anything I said.
I was not responding to you or your posts. I was responding to a post by Billy and refuting that post in particular.

The federal government, who represents We the People, owns most of the West.

Not the locals. Not the extraction industries. We the People.

17991812_1633826349980536_2711867128343119536_n.jpg

Show me the constitutional authority for the feds to retain land in a territory granted Statehood.

It IS in the Constitution. For acquisition of DC, forts, monuments, etc. But it's vague. And certainly not in perpetuity and forever within a fully functioning State...
You're correct that it's in the Constitution, but you've cited the wrong Article. Actually, it's in Article IV, Section 3, Clause 2 and not too terribly vague;

"The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state."

Americans have paid for public lands with blood and treasure. Americans have financed and invested in the upkeep and protection of those lands year after year since they became territories and later as public lands within states. Whenever the topic of transferring those lands to new owners comes up it is nothing more than schemes to allow private interest to exploit the wealth and investments of the American people.

There are only three Constitutional circumstances wherein the federal government may claim state lands in perpetuity.

Parks and monuments are not included.
Those lands never belonged to the states

I'd be willing to sell them at fair market value

TO ALL YOU STATES RIGHTS FOLKS SUFFERING FROM KNOWLEDGE DEPRIVATION:

If you go to a car dealer and buy a car with cash & obtain the title, who owns the bloody car? You, the car dealer, or the damn State you live in?

Here is a similar example relating to the thread's topic;
In 1803, the US bought from France what is known as the Louisiana Purchase for $15 Million. Who owned that 827 square mile track of land and took title to it? Was it the United States in the name of the People of the United States, was it France, or was it the non-existent States that would eventually be formed within that vast Territory? Time for some of you partisans to do some basic logical thinking!!!!

There are only three Constitutional circumstances wherein the federal government may claim state lands in perpetuity.

I would support a lottery for thousands of individual lots with all kinds of caveats and restrictions on the lots. Imagine being able to win a transferable lot at Yellowstone.

Quit deflecting.

Excuse me, but the feds are not The Empire. Beyond the mandated and extremely limited responsibilities assigned the federal government under the Constitution, the states are sovereign. No land was "transferred" by way of statehood.

You have to understand though, fakey Mcfakerson is an avowed authoritarian. There is no such thing as too much government power in his eyes.

Quit deflecting.

You have to understand though, fakey Mcfakerson is an avowed authoritarian. There is no such thing as too much government power in his eyes.
You are so butt hurt. :lol: The fact is that federal land is . . . federal land. If you think that is "authoritarian," that's your problem. The feds could sell or grant the land to the various states. That is another issue. If you have any question about the federal authority in this matter, consult Art IV Sec 3.

I would support a lottery for thousands of individual lots with all kinds of caveats and restrictions on the lots. Imagine being able to win a transferable lot at Yellowstone.

Imagine your house being in the middle of the caldera and yellowstone erupting.

Forum List

Back