Who is the best hollywood actor/actress?

I'm going with Kathy Bates for best actress. lol

misery-kathy-bates.jpg

Bates is good. But she usually plays the same kind of part...not necessarily a DIFFERENT part for each flick. She is like John Wayne. She stays as Bates no matter what film she is in.

yeah....EGR was good, but that is all he is known for mostly. Same concept, same character, just a different movie.

Robert DiNiro....good as baddie, funny in the Fockers.

The BEST of the best has to have been in all kinds of roles, and made you believe he or she WAS that character and ability to pull it all off...as each different character.

If you haven't seen it, find Scarlett Street, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, Mr Winkle Goes to War, several other films that had little to do with gangsters.

Granted, I can't remember him as a singer or dancer, but he was far more than a thug.

Havent' seen anyone post Jack Lemmon, Paul Newman, Burt Lancaster

Bates is good. But she usually plays the same kind of part...not necessarily a DIFFERENT part for each flick. She is like John Wayne. She stays as Bates no matter what film she is in.

Have you seen American Horror Story? She plays a carnival freak with a beard. She was also in the TV series "Harry's Law" and says NBC treated the show like shit. They cancelled it after two seasons, even though the show had 11 million viewers, and earned 4 Emmy nominations. I'm not a regular TV watcher, and don't watch popular series made for TV, but this one was different. It was very good. I can't believe they cancelled it after only two seasons.

Her role in Fried Green Tomatoes (an excellent movie) was also very different from her role in Misery, however, she is very good at playing a strong female lead.

The one that can play ANY part with ease? And when they memorize their roll, they do it so well you actually believe they are that character no matter what movie they are in?

I liked Robin Williams. He was a serious bumbling but brilliant doctor in Awakenings. He was a great dad with issues, in Mrs. Doubtfire. He was the really bad guy in Insomnia. He could play any part with ease.

Who is the best actor EVER, in your opinion?

Ever? Well that is tough.

Cary Grant comes to mind- he could do anything.

Jimmy Stewart was fascinating- he reinvented his career multiple times and was a great actor.

Dick Powell was another.

Of our current actors:
Saw someone else mention Daniel Day Lewis- certainly he is a great actor.
I am also partial to Robert Duvall- an under appreciated actor.

I am leaving out many whose names I can't think of.

Great career

Went from Fu Manchus daughter, to the wife of an alcoholic detective, to the wife of a war weary husband returning from war.

Movie actor, Daniel Day Lewis.

I would also give a definite nod to Stephen Root. Don't know who this is? He has a huge resume and is great in every role he does.
Stephen Root - IMDb
Look at this resume.

For actress I'd have to go with Meryl. Charlize Theron in Monster was over top good but Meryl Streep has done it over and over for a whole career.

The one that can play ANY part with ease? And when they memorize their roll, they do it so well you actually believe they are that character no matter what movie they are in?

I liked Robin Williams. He was a serious bumbling but brilliant doctor in Awakenings. He was a great dad with issues, in Mrs. Doubtfire. He was the really bad guy in Insomnia. He could play any part with ease.

Who is the best actor EVER, in your opinion?

I don't know about best, but my favorites are:

Actor: Robert DiNero
Actress: Vera Farmiga.

John Goodman. Bad guy, good guy, funny guy, serious guy, lots of guys in that big body of his. Talent.

Have you seen American Horror Story? She plays a carnival freak with a beard. She was also in the TV series "Harry's Law" and says NBC treated the show like shit. They cancelled it after two seasons, even though the show had 11 million viewers, and earned 4 Emmy nominations. I'm not a regular TV watcher, and don't watch popular series made for TV, but this one was different. It was very good. I can't believe they cancelled it after only two seasons.

Her role in Fried Green Tomatoes (an excellent movie) was also very different from her role in Misery, however, she is very good at playing a strong female lead.

She’s overlooked and forgotten; to our collective detriment.

John Goodman. Bad guy, good guy, funny guy, serious guy, lots of guys in that big body of his. Talent.
I like Goodman too. Barton Fink is one of my favorite films.

Like Hanks, I think he is very good and believable at whatever he plays. The difference between Goodman, Hanks, and the guy who I think is the finest actor I’ve seen around today (D. Day Lewis) is that I get the feeling that Lewis doesn’t go home to his house in Belfast or England after the shooting is done and on day one is surfing channels and eating potato chips. He seems to embody the role in such a way that is uncommon and even scary like Theron in Monster.

View attachment 71905

I love the channel TCM and watch any Cary Grant movie that is listed

Along with

View attachment 71908
View attachment 71909

I really have a long list of actors that I love..
John Wayne played the same roles...just in different movies.
Amen. John Wayne always played John Wayne under various characters' names.

My fave male actor is Robert DiNero.

I’ve never quite understood what the big deal about Dinero was. I’ve liked him in a lot of movies that I saw (Men of Honor, Awakenings, Heat, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Heist, Goodfellas,) I always thought his performances ranged from very good like in Awakenings to flawless like in Goodfellas. Then he produces a dog of a role like in Heist or Men of Honor

Forum List

Back