Who Is At Serious Risk From COVID?

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
Who is most at risk for serious illness from COVID-19?

The risk of developing dangerous symptoms increases with age, with those who are age 85 and older at the highest risk of serious symptoms. In the U.S., about 80% of deaths from the disease have been in people age 65 and older. Risks are even higher for older people when they have other health conditions.

COVID-19: Who's at higher risk of serious symptoms? - Mayo ...https://www.mayoclinic.org

The risk of developing dangerous symptoms increases with age, with those who are age 85 and older at the highest risk of serious symptoms. In the U.S., about 80% of deaths from the disease have been in people age 65 and older. Risks are even higher for older people when they have other health conditions.

COVID-19: Who's at higher risk of serious symptoms? - Mayo ...https://www.mayoclinic.org
Squished by the Carbon Footprint

People in areas of reduced auto emissions, which have wiped out all viruses since 1920.

Not for the last month. Most older Americans are vaccinated. My son told me over half the people crowding the ER with Covid cases night before last were under 40 and not vaccinated.

OP: Who Is At Serious Risk From COVID?​

Answer: Stupid people, those who aren't vaccinated, don't wear masks in public, don't respect social distancing and don't wash their hands.

The unvaccinated.

Been watching the death count in MN.....SINGLE digits, mostly old farts
Could be different where you are. You guys do have a vaccination rate 15 point higher than ours. Your state is to be commended that at 59%. Ours not so much at 45%.
Seriously, most of our old farts (myself included) got vaccinated. I don't actually know anybody over 60 touting their non-vaccinated status, unlike that Republican politico in Texas, vehemently anti-vaccine 5 days ago, dead due to Covid today.

Not for the last month. Most older Americans are vaccinated. My son told me over half the people crowding the ER with Covid cases night before last were under 40 and not vaccinated.

The question is are they crowding the ER due to needing to be admitted, or because on average younger people are less likely to have steady doctors and insurance. You also have to take into account the panic effect if young people get sick thinking they are going to DIE DIE DIE if they have flu level symptoms.

The true metric should be ICU occupancy and deaths.

The question is are they crowding the ER due to needing to be admitted, or because on average younger people are less likely to have steady doctors and insurance. You also have to take into account the panic effect if young people get sick thinking they are going to DIE DIE DIE if they have flu level symptoms.

The true metric should be ICU occupancy and deaths.
We have our fair or unfair number of people of lower income that do not have access to insurance at work or who are on Tenncare and still get most of their medical treatment through Emergency Room services. For ICU occupancy, we are maxed out and the wait to get out of ER to any room is 4 1/2 hours or more. He said they were stacked like cord wood and on oxygen because their O2 levels were below 80%, so they needed treatment somewhere and realized it. He said it included kids, at least one as young as 6 months old. The hospital put up a tent outside the ER to increase ER potential by 75 patients, and have stopped receiving transfers from other hospitals in surrounding town, even if the own that hospital, also, as they are out of capacity, with the Covid patient load as well as the average daily load. They did not even have to do that, last year.

We have our fair or unfair number of people of lower income that do not have access to insurance at work or who are on Tenncare and still get most of their medical treatment through Emergency Room services. For ICU occupancy, we are maxed out and the wait to get out of ER to any room is 4 1/2 hours or more. He said they were stacked like cord wood and on oxygen because their O2 levels were below 80%, so they needed treatment somewhere and realized it. He said it included kids, at least one as young as 6 months old. The hospital put up a tent outside the ER to increase ER potential by 75 patients, and have stopped receiving transfers from other hospitals in surrounding town, even if the own that hospital, also, as they are out of capacity, with the Covid patient load as well as the average daily load. They did not even have to do that, last year.

Is this hearsay or are there actual numbers?

In NYC my mother spent 24 hours in the ER before admittance for a MRSA infection 2 months ago, and COVID cases weren't the reason.

In NYC my mother spent 24 hours in the ER before admittance for a MRSA infection 2 months ago, and COVID cases weren't the reason.
This isn't New York and do not have that city or state's bed availability. For us, 4 hours is almost unheard of locally. Bed capacity at JMCGH is around 600, a very modern facility that has grown overtime to a regional hub, even doing some organ transplant. We live under the flyway from to or three other towns north of here, the air traffic over my pool is spooky quiet for a change. They bought another hospital in town, with a 367 bed capacity and limited emergency room services, now their north campus, the director of WTH is reminding people to go during this time.
WTH is fairly impressive in facilities and capabilities, always has been very forward-looking and probably the largest employer in this county and surrounding counties, with own hospitals in 3 other towns. My wife worked for them 22 years before retirement. My son and his significant other, he lives with work for them now.

This isn't New York and do not have that city or state's bed availability. For us, 4 hours is almost unheard of locally. Bed capacity at JMCGH is around 600, a very modern facility that has grown overtime to a regional hub, even doing some organ transplant. We live under the flyway from to or three other towns north of here, the air traffic over my pool is spooky quiet for a change. They bought another hospital in town, with a 367 bed capacity and limited emergency room services, now their north campus, the director of WTH is reminding people to go during this time.
WTH is fairly impressive in facilities and capabilities, always has been very forward-looking and probably the largest employer in this county and surrounding counties, with own hospitals in 3 other towns. My wife worked for them 22 years before retirement. My son and his significant other, he lives with work for them now.

Attached is a page with some numbers for various States of ICU beds and beds in general, and the portions that are COVID cases.

This page doesn't show the dire situation you are alluding to.

COVID-19 Data Dashboard – Patient Impact & Hospital Capacity

Attached is a page with some numbers for various States of ICU beds and beds in general, and the portions that are COVID cases.

This page doesn't show the dire situation you are alluding to.

COVID-19 Data Dashboard – Patient Impact & Hospital Capacity
I am sure the state overall has the capacity with major hospitals in Memphis 86 miles away and Nashville 135 miles away, not to mention what is probably available in Knoxville and Chattanooga, 350 plus miles away. I am not alluding to anything, just stating the facts from the health department, the city and county mayors, and the hospital administrator in their special report this morning.

She got MRSA at home?

I am sure the state overall has the capacity with major hospitals in Memphis 86 miles away and Nashville 135 miles away, not to mention what is probably available in Knoxville and Chattanooga, 350 plus miles away. I am not alluding to anything, just stating the facts from the health department, the city and county mayors, and the hospital administrator in their special report this morning.

Do you have a link for those reports?

This isn't about you in particular, this is about the simple fact that information can be spread via things like twitter, and then spread through more mainstream sources, that are quite frankly made up bullshit.

Do you have a link for those reports?

This isn't about you in particular, this is about the simple fact that information can be spread via things like twitter, and then spread through more mainstream sources, that are quite frankly made up bullshit.
How about these. You probably didn't hear about it up there, as to us it is a local story.
1628202356127.png

Even the CDC (surprisingly) has an accurate graph illustrating the age groups and 85+ is the highest risk by far. The problem is a lot of these facilities aren’t separating them from others when they report age brackets —the 85 plus is often added to 70 age bracket which blurs the reality.

The current number of total number and total number of deaths indicate a 99.983% survival rate…not 98% survival as has been previously reported and often mentioned on this board. That information is using CDC’s statistics that they came out with recently that on July, 28, 2021 there were 609,853 deaths reported out of 34,722,631 cases, or a 0.01756356% death rate.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back