Who else is smoking meat?

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
I just bought a Traeger Ironwood 885. Im shocked by how easy it is to use and how effective it is. I made pulled pork with an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder. I had never smoked anything in my life, yet that pulled pork was as good or better than anything ive ever eaten at any legit BBQ joint. The next day i made babyback ribs which turned out absolutely perfect. They may have been the best ribs ive ever had.

Who else is smoking around here? What smoker do you have? Do you have any good recipes?

Here is a pic of my brand new smoker...

ironwood-885-woman-grilling.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain.

I agree that pulled pork tastes better than BBQ places. So do my ribs.

I will usually smoke 4 butts (shoulder) because it takes a good 14 hours till they are done. Lot of time to smoke one butt

I also make my own BBQ sauce and rubs. Much better than you buy in the Supermarket

1588609788133.jpeg

I just bought a Traeger Ironwood 885. Im shocked by how easy it is to use and how effective it is. I made pulled pork with an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder. I had never smoked anything in my life, yet that pulled pork was as good or better than anything ive ever eaten at any legit BBQ joint. The next day i made babyback ribs which turned out absolutely perfect. They may have been the best ribs ive ever had.

Who else is smoking around here? What smoker do you have? Do you have any good recipes?

Traegers are great. That’s what a volunteer of ours uses.
I smoked a pork roast yesterday, but on a propane/wood smoker. It was really good.

As far as pellet poopers go I have the Mak Two Star General.

1588615483197.png

0073992B-3959-4C66-A0A6-EC806DA37991.jpeg

While I love how easy it is to use it still doesnt compare to my offset smoker which is the Lang when it comes to real smoked BBQ.
Love the reverse flow design!!
5051C1EB-4C0C-4D6A-B23B-99681B2EBAE3.jpeg

Also have the Kamado Joe which I'm very pleasantly surprised with!!! It'll sear at 800 degrees or you can slow roll it at 250.
It actually holds temp better than my oven.

C211A2AE-3E9F-4CD8-9AC4-23D0BDEBE5F2.jpeg

Thats the old Pitts and Spitts in the background that I sold to buy the Lang. It was just to big to fire up for a couple racks of ribs and a couple of chickens and it was a wood hog from hell!!!

What I really like about the Mak is the remote.
I can control everything from my bed for those loooong smokes.
I've taken to starting a large packer brisket on the Lang for around five or six hours for the superior smoke flavor and then tossing it on the Mak to finish while I sleep.
You really cant beat the accuracy of the pellet poopers.

I find it hard to keep lit.

Yeah got a weber smokie thing but usually use a Masterforge. Both charcoal and profane. Do lots pulled pork!

Get some paper can biscuits. Roll them out and poke into a muffin tin. Insert pulled pork, top with shredded cheese, bake 10 min or so. Gotta lay down to eat them.

Yeah got a weber smokie thing but usually use a Masterforge. Both charcoal and profane. Do lots pulled pork!

Get some paper can biscuits. Roll them out and poke into a muffin tin. Insert pulled pork, top with shredded cheese, bake 10 min or so. Gotta lay down to eat them.

You want some good biscuits?
Cut some large Grands into quarters and toss em around in about an inch of bacon grease until they brown.

Total Heaven!!!!

Idk, ..I have a like-new upright smoker..

but I know how to use the sideways one my neighbor threw out.

Maybe he did some BBQ with it too,

It smokes and smokes good.
It's a umm.."New Braunfels"
:dunno:
I could throw ribs in it tomorrow, but my food is covered for the time being.

Cut some large Grands into quarters and toss em around in about an inch of bacon grease until they brown.

Total Heaven!!!!

That sounds good!

Total Heaven!!!!

That sounds good!

They'll be the fluffiest and crispiest biscuits you've ever eaten!!
We'll sit around a thawed stick of butter and some preserves and go to town!!

I have an old rusty stick burner I've been using for years. I agree with everyone that doing it for yourself tastes a whole lot better than anything you can get commercially. The only photo I have handy is one of a pork butt I did just recently. The bark was awesome.
IMG_0781.jpg

Is this OK ? I don't buy. I build......and grow...

View attachment 332001View attachment 332003

I could easily build whatever type or size smoker out there.
The question is do I want to spend the time.
I used to get people telling me all the time...You're a Machinist why didnt you just make one?
Simple answer....I can work for a week and pay for it or I can work on it during all my free time for two months.
I use my skills to modify products that are already in existence.
It's cheaper and a lot more fun trying to show you know better than the manufacturer.

I'm a cheap bastard....... I just assembled a Royal Gourmet offset smoker yesterday, the wife wanted me to start grilling again. Never used one so I'm watching a lot of You Tube videos, gonna have to try the poor man's brisket.

c5f39a984d9add2647a44cb6061f212f.w2002.h2002._CR0%2C0%2C2002%2C2002_SX750_SY750_.jpg

Well, my meat USED to smoke when I was a much younger man. My girlfriends and I (Just one at a time, unfortunately.) would get going SO hot and furious, it DID smell like SOMETHING was smoking! Oh wait, I'm thinking of the wrong kind of meat, the "other white meat", so to speak. My bad!

I'll pre-fire my grill tomorrow, clean it out and fire up the smoker. Have a bone in Boston Butt marinating in my home made rub in the fridge. Natural hardwood charcoal and apple wood......... thup:

Forum List

Back