Who else is smoking meat?

What are the safe woods you use for smoking the meat?

I hear that Pine is dangerous, because the smoke is toxic to the food?
Its a pellet grill, and i buy Traeger pellets every time. Im a big fan of pecan at the moment.

Thats really my only beef when it comes to pellet poopers.
For the most part you cant tell the difference between pecan and oak when compared to using splits.

....oh,and the clean up Sucks!!!

I found the most useful thing about em is it's damn near impossible to fuk up a chunk of meat unless it's caused by human error.
It's damn nice to put a brisket on Saturday and pretty much forget about it until after the game on Sunday.
The clean up is super easy. There are barely any ashes to vaccuum out. Takes me 5 minutes to get it done.

Oh I dont mind the ashes.
It's the grease drippings that I hate. I need to be a bit more liberal,that just made me feel a little nauseous,with the aluminium foil use. That make it much easier to clean.

The reverse flow Lang is an absolute breeze and can be done in less time than your meat needs to rest.
View attachment 340479
When you pull off the meat you toss in a couple splits and open the vents wide open and let it get good and hot.
When it does you open the smoking chamber and hose everything down and close the lid,do this several times and she's clean as a whistle.
Open the drain into a bucket and flush it down the shitter.
Then of course I've got a small shopvac for the fire box.

Not sure you know what a reverse flow pit is but you'll notice the chimney is on the wrong end.
The smoke runs under a plate from the firebox and then reverses course and goes over the the meat and out the chimney. Hot spots are almost completely eliminated and the fat drips onto the 1/4' thick steel plate adding a shit ton of flavor.
View attachment 340482
There really isnt any grease inside of it yet. Ive done like 12 cooks of various times (short to long) up to this point. I put foil on the drip pan, which drains out the side into a bucket with a disposable alluminum liner. Once i remove the old used foil from the drip pan, there are just a few ashes left inside.

Its a pellet grill, and i buy Traeger pellets every time. Im a big fan of pecan at the moment.

For the most part you cant tell the difference between pecan and oak when compared to using splits.

I found the most useful thing about em is it's damn near impossible to fuk up a chunk of meat unless it's caused by human error.
It's damn nice to put a brisket on Saturday and pretty much forget about it until after the game on Sunday.
The clean up is super easy. There are barely any ashes to vaccuum out. Takes me 5 minutes to get it done.

It's the grease drippings that I hate. I need to be a bit more liberal,that just made me feel a little nauseous,with the aluminium foil use. That make it much easier to clean.

The reverse flow Lang is an absolute breeze and can be done in less time than your meat needs to rest.
View attachment 340479
When you pull off the meat you toss in a couple splits and open the vents wide open and let it get good and hot.
When it does you open the smoking chamber and hose everything down and close the lid,do this several times and she's clean as a whistle.

Not sure you know what a reverse flow pit is but you'll notice the chimney is on the wrong end.
The smoke runs under a plate from the firebox and then reverses course and goes over the the meat and out the chimney. Hot spots are almost completely eliminated and the fat drips onto the 1/4' thick steel plate adding a shit ton of flavor.
View attachment 340482
There really isnt any grease inside of it yet. Ive done like 12 cooks of various times (short to long) up to this point. I put foil on the drip pan, which drains out the side into a bucket with a disposable alluminum liner. Once i remove the old used foil from the drip pan, there are just a few ashes left inside.

Yeah...I need to start using more foil.
Another thing that sucks whether it's a pellet pooper or an offset is the layer of smoke that builds up on the inside of the lid and starts flaking off onto you meat.
To actually get the pellet pooper showroom clean would be a MOFO with all the pieces and not having a way to pressure wash it easily.
Man I miss living in the country where I could just haul em to a designated Pitt washing area.
Any grease or meat bits where cleaned up by the coons or opossum by morning.

View attachment 340479

View attachment 340482

Another thing that sucks whether it's a pellet pooper or an offset is the layer of smoke that builds up on the inside of the lid and starts flaking off onto you meat.
To actually get the pellet pooper showroom clean would be a MOFO with all the pieces and not having a way to pressure wash it easily.
Man I miss living in the country where I could just haul em to a designated Pitt washing area.
The Traeger Ironwood series vents the smoke downward out the back. Its a "true convection" system, so it constantly pushes out the old smoke. Maybe that is preventing build up at the top.

View attachment 340479

View attachment 340482

The Traeger Ironwood series vents the smoke downward out the back. Its a "true convection" system, so it constantly pushes out the old smoke. Maybe that is preventing build up at the top.

I can see why you dont notice the buildup after looking at one online.
The dark color of the interior of the Traeger is just hiding it. My Mak is mainly stainless steel including the lid. It gets a golden patina over time that eventually turned black and started flaking off.
I really need to pull all the interior pieces out that can be removed and take em to the car wash with a couple cans of oven cleaner.

View attachment 340479

View attachment 340482

The dark color of the interior of the Traeger is just hiding it. My Mak is mainly stainless steel including the lid. It gets a golden patina over time that eventually turned black and started flaking off.
I really need to pull all the interior pieces out that can be removed and take em to the car wash with a couple cans of oven cleaner.
I LOVE that idea! I will definitely try that.

View attachment 340479

View attachment 340482

Here's what I'm talking about...
E12A8527-8579-4106-A78E-0053BE184B21_1_201_a.jpeg

As far as color goes

Did that pork tenderloin today, first attempt at smoking. Came out pretty good but I think the rub actually detracted from the flavor, tender and moist but really peppery with only one teaspoon of pepper. Don't think I'll use a rub any more or I'll omit any pepper, chili powder, etc and maybe just do a sweet rub.

Did that pork tenderloin today, first attempt at smoking. Came out pretty good but I think the rub actually detracted from the flavor, tender and moist but really peppery with only one teaspoon of pepper. Don't think I'll use a rub any more or I'll omit any pepper, chili powder, etc and maybe just do a sweet rub.

Yeah,pepper is more of a beef thing.
While sweet rubs are good for pork. You cant go either on chicken but I still lean sweet.
Did ya brine it first?

While sweet rubs are good for pork. You cant go either on chicken but I still lean sweet.
Did ya brine it first?
Yup, brined it but only for 5 hours, forgot to put in in the brine last night before going to bed so did it first thing when I got up. Had some problems at first with the temp but worked it out.
Next time I do a tenderloin it'll be a sweet rub only. Next though I want to do a poor man's brisket (chuck roast), I'll try it without a rub also, see how that turns out.
From now on no matter how I cook pork it gets brined first....... :)

Did ya brine it first?
Yup, brined it but only for 5 hours, forgot to put in in the brine last night before going to bed so did it first thing when I got up. Had some problems at first with the temp but worked it out.
Next time I do a tenderloin it'll be a sweet rub only. Next though I want to do a poor man's brisket (chuck roast), I'll try it without a rub also, see how that turns out.
I strongly suggest Meat Church Seasoning. Their "Holy Cow" rub is perfect for chicken, pork and beef. They also have the "Honey Hog BBQ" for pork specifically. I have a cupboard full of their rubs now because its a home run every time. You can order from their website, Amazon or get it at your local Ace Hardware.

The Meat Church youtube videos are well worth watching too. He has outstanding recipes for smokers.

Here is one for whole chicken...

Rubs are hillbilly shit best left at the county fair. Marinate your meat for 16-24 hours with the flavors you desire and select a good wood that you, or others, think is right for the cut

Rubs are hillbilly shit best left at the county fair. Marinate your meat for 16-24 hours with the flavors you desire and select a good wood that you, or others, think is right for the cut
Yup, I've seen brine recipes that have apple juice or apple cider added as well as other ingredients. Should work in place of a rub. The first rub I tried a week ago, ended up cooking the roast in the oven, was HEAVY on paprika which I love. Halfway through the cooking it started to smell like hot dogs which the wife hates. Tasted good but I had to eat an entire roast on my on over 5 days..........

Did ya brine it first?
I strongly suggest Meat Church Seasoning. Their "Holy Cow" rub is perfect for chicken, pork and beef. They also have the "Honey Hog BBQ" for pork specifically. I have a cupboard full of their rubs now because its a home run every time. You can order from their website, Amazon or get it at your local Ace Hardware.

The Meat Church youtube videos are well worth watching too. He has outstanding recipes for smokers.

Here is one for whole chicken...

Nope. I'll control what goes into/onto my meats but thanks anyway.

Did ya brine it first?

It helps with yard bird as well.

I just bought a Traeger Ironwood 885. Im shocked by how easy it is to use and how effective it is. I made pulled pork with an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder. I had never smoked anything in my life, yet that pulled pork was as good or better than anything ive ever eaten at any legit BBQ joint. The next day i made babyback ribs which turned out absolutely perfect. They may have been the best ribs ive ever had.

Who else is smoking around here? What smoker do you have? Do you have any good recipes?

Here is a pic of my brand new smoker...

ironwood-885-woman-grilling.jpg
I'm a smoker. I'm also a southern boy stuck in California and Californians dont know diddly about barbeque so I had to take it upon myself to make my own. I also broke down and got a pellet grill after getting to old to stay up nights to tend the fire for those long butt and brisket smokes. After doing a lot of research I got a Grilla Silverback figuring it to be the best bang for the buck. It's very efficient as far as fuel use and doesn't need a blanket to maintain temp in cold weater. It's bigger than I need most of the time but it's better to err on the larger side rather than end up too small. If you're a beginner I'll give you some words to live by first of all, KISS keep it simple stupid. For example for ribs you dont need to wrap, spray, spritz or anything just rub them at least a couple of hours before cooking them put them in the smoker close the lid and let them cook. I do ribs at 225 for six hours and they come out right every time. I got so I dont even remove the silver skin because it mostly cooks away and it's on the back side anyway. Ribs are about the only thing I cook by time. Almost everything else cooks to temperature so get yourself some good tools to monitor temperate during the cook and to check after the cook to ensure its properly done. I use a Maverick XR50 wireless during cooks and a Thermapen MK4 instant read to make sure the temp of the meat is were I want it at the end. There are many many other choices out there but with a few years under my belt I've settled on these for several reasons. So that's it, keep it simple and have fun. Just remember that if you're looking you ain't cooking so keep that lid down.

Me! I did some beef ribs today.

They don't work like pork ribs. :(

The taste is great! A lot tougher, though.

My thermometer is my fingers on the smoker top.

Balderdash!!!
You can get beef ribs every bit as tender as baby backs.
Just think of em as brisket on a bone and cook the same way.
These babies tasted like a very rich brisket....and you only need one bone per person.
41708CD6-EA29-47C7-A2FB-6ECAF09F5806.jpeg

Balderdash!!!
These babies tasted like a very rich brisket....and you only need one bone per person.
View attachment 342057
I loathe brisket. Mainly it's probably my hiatal hernia. We got some when we went down south at some Golden Corral..eh..no thx. It was brisket vs. Prime Rib, we like the Prime Rib mo bettah!
My ribs were good, Something tells me I'd have to find a whole standing rib roast with ribs for it to be right.

Balderdash!!!
View attachment 342057
I loathe brisket. Mainly it's probably my hiatal hernia. We got some when we went down south at some Golden Corral..eh..no thx. It was brisket vs. Prime Rib, we like the Prime Rib mo bettah!
My ribs were good, Something tells me I'd have to find a whole standing rib roast with ribs for it to be right.

Nah...just get beef short ribs. They usually come with three ribs and they have enough meat on em to feed four easily.
1590684946676.png

Balderdash!!!
View attachment 342057

Nah...just get beef short ribs. They usually come with three ribs and they have enough meat on em to feed four easily.
View attachment 342062
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :aargh:

Forum List

Back