The Questionable Advantages of a 4WD Truck

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am not a big fan of 4WD trucks. The mechanical components of 4WD add cost, weight, complexity, hamper handling and reduce fuel economy, and provide no benefit whatsoever for the vast majority of the miles that one drives. Even in the Snow Belt (which is becoming less snowy as the years go by), the times when 4WD is NEEDED are few and far between. (The UP and upstate NY and Erie County PA are exceptions, to be sure).

Having learned to drive with non-positraction rear-wheel-drive cars, I recall that one did pay attention in Winter as for traveling in hilly terrain, and you had to be reasonable about what you were doing and take some precautions (good snow tires, maybe put a couple bags of sand in the trunk) but "we" seldom got stranded.

Now, with limited-slip diff's and traction control in almost all RWD vehicles, there is truly no need for 4WD unless you are a girly-man wuss (or a woman), or you are that rare character who takes his truck off road with some regularity.

Several years ago I had an S-10 4-banger/auto with RWD. I put a couple bags of rock salt in the back of the bed (secured in place), and did fine with just normal snow tires in Winter. As I ponder my next truck purchase, I think I'm going to go against the grain again and get RWD. My manhood is safe enough and the arguments for 4WD just don't hold up for me.

I had a four wheel drive in the mid 1980's and it came with studded snow tires. I never used either..and no one knew how to work on them.

Depends on where you live and for what reason you drive.

Where I live the family mostly uses a front-wheel drive sedan but keeps a 4-wheel drive for the days of 18-inch snowfall and also for carrying big loads which we do only occasionally. I can see a day coming when we can just keep the sedan and hunker down when the snow is too deep. An additional factor will be the cost of insurance. The FWD is getting to an age where liability-only insurance would suffice.

4WD is handy where i live because we have mountains and loads of dirt roads that go up into them. In general, if you are just dealing with snow, on reasonably level ground, RWD is fine. If you are doing serious off road work, then 4WD is essential, as is a winch!

I am not a big fan of 4WD trucks. The mechanical components of 4WD add cost, weight, complexity, hamper handling and reduce fuel economy, and provide no benefit whatsoever for the vast majority of the miles that one drives. Even in the Snow Belt (which is becoming less snowy as the years go by), the times when 4WD is NEEDED are few and far between. (The UP and upstate NY and Erie County PA are exceptions, to be sure).

Having learned to drive with non-positraction rear-wheel-drive cars, I recall that one did pay attention in Winter as for traveling in hilly terrain, and you had to be reasonable about what you were doing and take some precautions (good snow tires, maybe put a couple bags of sand in the trunk) but "we" seldom got stranded.

Now, with limited-slip diff's and traction control in almost all RWD vehicles, there is truly no need for 4WD unless you are a girly-man wuss (or a woman), or you are that rare character who takes his truck off road with some regularity.

Several years ago I had an S-10 4-banger/auto with RWD. I put a couple bags of rock salt in the back of the bed (secured in place), and did fine with just normal snow tires in Winter. As I ponder my next truck purchase, I think I'm going to go against the grain again and get RWD. My manhood is safe enough and the arguments for 4WD just don't hold up for me.
I could take you places where you aren't going to get without 4WD. And that is in the summer. Spent a large part of my early life in an area that you did not get to town without it. In winter you drove in 4 high because you needed to get there. You always kept 4 low for those times 4 high got you stuck.

Don't buy one.

Yea if you don’t need it, don’t bother with it.
Tires and traction control make such a huge difference, even if you are going on dirt trails you don’t need 4x4.

People also think you need to have all wheel drive for snowy areas. For city driving you don’t, you just need dedicated snow tires, they make all the difference in the world.

Yea if you don’t need it, don’t bother with it.
Tires and traction control make such a huge difference, even if you are going on dirt trails you don’t need 4x4.

You do on the roads I run.

4WD is handy where i live because we have mountains and loads of dirt roads that go up into them. In general, if you are just dealing with snow, on reasonably level ground, RWD is fine. If you are doing serious off road work, then 4WD is essential, as is a winch!

My mother had to have a 4WD where she lived in Eastern Oregon ... and three weeks food supply during the winter months ... 50 miles of steep hills between her and any kind of store ...

Also, some people's jobs take them out on logging roads that aren't always in the best of repair ... the kind of roads where carrying a chainsaw in mandatory ... 4WD (and a winch) are great in case they get into trouble ... it happens ... the Motor Pool at the Air Force base I was stationed at had the rule "if you think you'll need 4WD, don't go" ...

Plus some think it's fun 4-wheeling in some swamp ... I don't see it but whatever blows up your skirt ...

I haven't owned a truck without 4 wheel drive since 98.
I have never had to fix a 4 wheel drive system.... ever.
Of course I drive Toyotas so thats no surprise.
It all depends on whether you need it our not....I need it.
Even the Wife drives a 4x4 for those times she wants to meet me up at camp.
Try to drive sixty miles down Padre National Seashore without it....you wouldnt make it two miles.
Try driving the logging roads to the fish camp after the logging trucks have been through...forget it.
It's all about what your doing with your vehicle.

Oh...and ya cant forget the fun side of having a 4x4.
6ABA22E3-65A9-43A9-9425-E3A1380EF195_1_201_a.jpeg

OK, OK, OK, everybody HERE needs 4WD. But as I go about my business here in Western Pennsylvania (my business is mainly taking naps, now that I'm retired), basically every household has two 4WD or AWD vehicles. My point is that unless you post HERE, it is almost never necessary, and it is a colossal waste of money, along with other disadvantages mentioned above.

Most people seem to be convinced that you just can't get around without it, notwithstanding the fact that people got along without it for decades. And rather than choose rational tires, they go around on fcuking summer tires, then wonder why they get stuck on hills (when they go out before the snow plows).

As for FWD, I have recently learned that there are "all season" tires out there that are smooth and quiet in Summer, and have excellent traction in snow. Indeed, my VW Sportwagen gets around in Winter as well as the neighbors' Jeep/Fiats.

I love my old 4x4. The last of the real Z71 trucks from 1998. I help my father out with his ranch/farm fairly often, and not only do I end up driving through fields both wet and dry, I'm usually pulling a trailer and he lives be down 7 miles of bad road to start with.

I don't need it every day, hell that old truck sometimes goes a few months without leaving the driveway, but when I need it I really need it.

There's also a certain amount of security in knowing if I gotta go somewhere I can get there in almost any conditions.

I will be driving a 4x4 the rest of my life. Brutal winters and towing a trailer, 4x4 is a must. A few muddy jobsites I have had to lock into Low.
I even have hill descent control for Low and unreal how well that works on a slippery snow covered hill. Just crawls down without having to brake.
Good set of tires and while others are spinning their wheels on ice, I get awesome traction.

OK, OK, OK, everybody HERE needs 4WD. But as I go about my business here in Western Pennsylvania (my business is mainly taking naps, now that I'm retired), basically every household has two 4WD or AWD vehicles. My point is that unless you post HERE, it is almost never necessary, and it is a colossal waste of money, along with other disadvantages mentioned above.

Most people seem to be convinced that you just can't get around without it, notwithstanding the fact that people got along without it for decades. And rather than choose rational tires, they go around on fcuking summer tires, then wonder why they get stuck on hills (when they go out before the snow plows).

As for FWD, I have recently learned that there are "all season" tires out there that are smooth and quiet in Summer, and have excellent traction in snow. Indeed, my VW Sportwagen gets around in Winter as well as the neighbors' Jeep/Fiats.
everything you just wrote suggests the whole world just flew by you and you didnt even notice it,,,

I haven't owned a truck without 4 wheel drive since 98.
I have never had to fix a 4 wheel drive system.... ever.
Of course I drive Toyotas so thats no surprise.
It all depends on whether you need it our not....I need it.
Even the Wife drives a 4x4 for those times she wants to meet me up at camp.
Try to drive sixty miles down Padre National Seashore without it....you wouldnt make it two miles.
Try driving the logging roads to the fish camp after the logging trucks have been through...forget it.
It's all about what your doing with your vehicle.

Oh...and ya cant forget the fun side of having a 4x4.
View attachment 333675
I just knew somebody was gonna so here we go.

adw.jpg

Get an AWD it is better than just a RWD. I am in California. The first rain after months of dry make the roads very slippery. I appreciate the AWD.

It might work for you in the areas that you go. To some it has become a status symbol.

We had an old WW2 ambulance that was used in the war. It was manufactured in1941 if you put that thing in 4WD it would damn near climb a tree. We would take that up to Widerness areas sometimes going for a mile or so up creek beds.

I have one that I used hauling our RV around the country. Sometimes I put it in 4WD to get up muddy roads to campgrounds. Now I don't need it but it has been paid for for years. It only has 150,000 on it so it is just broke in.
If I wanted to deal with payments I would trade off our car rather then the truck.

It just depends on the driver. My little old front wheel drive caviler station wagon used to blow away 4wd Jeep's in the snow.

We camp a lot. The 4WD in my old Suburban gets us places we wouldn't without it.

But even more importantly, if you have to back a trailer uphill, putting your truck in 4WD low means you move the trailer steadily, and you don't have to get a high speed running start to put the trailer where you want it. It also means I can pull other people out of ditches and stuff.

Forum List

Back