Zone1 Who coined the phrase, “God is Love?”

Cougarbear

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2022
I’m asking this because I was reading an article about David Archuleta’s mother leaving the Church because her son came out as being gay. She said she couldn’t stay because she couldn’t understand the stand of the Church concerning LGBTQ behaviors and actions because she says “God is Love.” God may be love be God also has set commandments and boundaries for our indulgences. Homosexual acts are out of bounds in both old and New Testaments. God destroyed the world with a flood and destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah along with many other cities and people for the same things. And Jesus is Jehovah. While God love us, he loves our obedience much more. So, where did this phrase come from?

That would be John who coined the phrase. Or God himself, if you believe every word in the Bible was the word of God, and merely transcribed by the hand of man.

1 John 4:16

If there's any record of someone else coining that phrase before then, I'm not aware of it.

Last edited:
It it still love if we reprimand our children for playing with matches in our homes? Or is it love to let them choose to light the furniture on fire and burn the house down? Rules for proper conduct in society are necessary for mankind to exist together. God has revealed his laws to show us the right and correct way to live a happy and fulfilling life here on earth and in eternity. To me, God is the revelation of goodness and light and we can have more joy and happiness in our life by living his laws and commandments than by choosing to ignore them. Giving us those rules is an act of pure love.

That would be John who coined the phrase. Or God himself, if you believe every word in the Bible was the word of God, and merely transcribed by the hand of man.

1 John 4:16

If there's any record of someone else coining that phrase before then, I'm not aware of it.
I appreciate the quote. However, it doesn’t say God is love as if he had no anger or jealousy towards us. So, does God also hate as well? I ask this because as Archuleta used as a reason to leave the Church, I believe he loves us but he demands obedience and order in His house. So, how was destroying Sodom and Gomorrah and rejecting homosexual behavior an act of love?

I appreciate the quote. However, it doesn’t say God is love as if he had no anger or jealousy towards us. So, does God also hate as well? I ask this because as Archuleta used as a reason to leave the Church, I believe he loves us but he demands obedience and order in His house. So, how was destroying Sodom and Gomorrah and rejecting homosexual behavior an act of love?

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah happened before God sacrificed his son Jesus, in order to take upon Himself all of mankind's sin. Yes He was hard on his beloved Jews, but they kept turning their backs on Him.

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah happened before God sacrificed his son Jesus, in order to take upon Himself all of mankind's sin. Yes He was hard on his beloved Jews, but they kept turning their backs on Him.
So, is God Love?

So, is God Love?

Of course, but also judgement. That's something the touchie-feelie churches don't like to talk about. I don't believe I've ever heard a sermon based on the book of Revelations.

To maintain a society of those who honor and sustain the law, we must punish and rid ourselves of those who seek to circumvent the law and overthrow it. God does this same thing when mankind gets so wicked that that society cannot sustain a good and wholesome ways of life. The days of Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah are a few examples of when God had to intervene and rid the population of extreme evil. When God comes again at his second coming, he will again rid the earth of wickedness and establish his righteous reign as King over the earth. The wicked will be burned as stubble. From the eyes of the wicked, this may seem cruel and bad but from the eyes of the righteous these judgments are a sigh of relief and welcomed judgment. All who are destroyed are not completely destroyed but will live on and be resurrected and live in a much better place than this world we now live in.

There are like 80 sins in the Bible (leaving out any that may be added by the Book of Mormon) so I am not sure why christians obsess about this one. Regardless, if the LDS church was no longer working for the Archuleta family then it is only proper they find themselves a new faith community to further their spiritual journey among.

Of course, but also judgement. That's something the touchie-feelie churches don't like to talk about. I don't believe I've ever heard a sermon based on the book of Revelations.
Absolutely! God is a God of order, laws and commandments. His house is a house of order and a house of poor. The antithesis of a house of ill repute. God is slow to anger. But eventually he passes judgment.
His Church must also be a house of order following His laws and commandments. Love one another while righteous discipline as well. Restricting callings in the Church should get someone to straighten out. For many it does. But for those who seek Sodom they struggle a lot. People like Archuleta’s mom simply forget that God wants obedience to his laws and commandments. Instead, they make God into something He isn’t.

I am guessing a Moron who never read the story of Noah and the flood.

They just saw the cutesy wootsey Noah's Ark depictions that are oh so adorable with the colorful cute animals and what not.

I thought it was Moses?

Absolutely! God is a God of order, laws and commandments. His house is a house of order and a house of poor. The antithesis of a house of ill repute. God is slow to anger. But eventually he passes judgment.
His Church must also be a house of order following His laws and commandments. Love one another while righteous discipline as well. Restricting callings in the Church should get someone to straighten out. For many it does. But for those who seek Sodom they struggle a lot. People like Archuleta’s mom simply forget that God wants obedience to his laws and commandments. Instead, they make God into something He isn’t.
Actually, spell check is ridiculous. I meant to write that the Lord’s house is a house of order and a house of PRAYER 🙏 These woke members who leave demand that anything goes including blurring the lines of male and female behaviors in His house. While we accept all repentant sinners, when they are openly sinning and causing people to lose their eternal and potential exaltation in the resurrection, they must not attempt to use the power and authority of God, the Priesthood. And therefore are not able to receive Church callings and sometimes are restricted with partaking of the Sacrament as well. Bishops have this right and authority. Not mothers of unrepentant sinners. Who does she think she is? She’s acting like a new employee who tries to tell her boss how to run his business.

Because of a principle and the concept of moral turpitude.

Corrupting another person's morality is wickedness. Which is what the LGBT crowd is all about. They want to corrupt everyone's morals. Tolerance? They have never been about tolerance....they want acceptance, endorsement, and applause.
They will accept nothing less.

Which is why the church has been against these sins forever....the exact same as God. They are not good for you no matter how "good" the momentary pleasures are. In the long term they will destroy you and the society that accepts it and endorses it.

Meaning members LGBT is not about the betterment of a society its very much about its destruction. It's about individualistic pleasure at the expense of others. The church and God has been against that since the beginning of life on Earth in the Garden in Eden.

So if you think that the Church is against LGBT for some archaic reason you are correct....if you think that this is arbitrary you would be incorrect. I have yet to see anyone promoting LGBT without a certain measure of self-righteousness....which only God is Righteous....no one and nothing else is. You can either have God's righteousness and enter into eternal life or you dont....good luck without God's righteousness....I don't think anyone will make it without.

Forum List

Back