Who cares about the poor the most?

Democrats wanna raise the minimum wage which results in fewer poor people. Republicans don't. Pretty clear who cares most.

Am for raising it to whatever amount keeps a full-time minimum wage worker above the Federal Poverty line. No reason a full-time worker should be below that threshold.

I think you should get paid $15/hr for posting on USMB.

Democrats wanna raise the minimum wage which results in fewer poor people. Republicans don't. Pretty clear who cares most.

Am for raising it to whatever amount keeps a full-time minimum wage worker above the Federal Poverty line. No reason a full-time worker should be below that threshold.

I'm fine with keeping the minimum wage where its at and giving them welfare to make up the difference. That way no one gets confused on what such a wage increase actually is and business owners have no excuse to raise prices.

I would say that you care so much you've dropped all reasonable logic by the wayside as to assume that more money for the unskilled equals the abolition of poverty. I assure you this is not the case. http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/329391-the-fallacy-of-the-living-minimum-wage.html

I doubt its Christians. Many of them on here would expect that guy to get up off his lazy ass and find a job.

Need a broader brush sweety?

holitech-broad-brush-probe.jpg

You're kidding...right?

This is the thinking of many Progressive secularists. They have no responsibility other than expanding the government to take care of all of life's needs, including the need to take care of the poor for them.

Provide for the common good..... How do you interpret that?

I could give you my opinion, or I could give you the opinion of the author of the General Welfare Clause, James Madison.

"If Congress can supply money indefinitely to the general welfare and are the sole and supreme judges of the welfare, they may appoint teachers in every state, county, and parish and pay them out of the public treasury, that they may take into their own hands the education of the children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the nation; they may assume the provision of the poor, they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads; in short, everything from the highest objects of state legislation down to the minute objects of police, would be thrown under the power of Congress........were the power of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for, it would subvert the very foundation and transmute the very nature of the limited government established by the people of America."

Consider yourselves subverted.

It's too bad this is not taught in schools and that the populace is so ignorant of their roots. Then again, do you really blame the government covering it up? I would.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just watched "A Christmas Carol" again.

"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"
- Ebenezer Scrooge

- Ebenezer Scrooge

One of the best stories ever.

Helping the poor has to be done with a lot of thoughtful decision. I grew up very very poor mostly homeless. People helped us all the time, they gave us food until they wearied of the burden. We were given clothes, sometimes a few days of shelter.

As I grew up I developed an absolute burning hatred for these do gooders. We depended on the kindness of strangers (family had long since become disgusted with the eternal hand out palm up). If not for the helpers my parents would have been forced to get a job and stop being on the streets.

I would not help someone if they were bleeding in the gutter and I had the last band aid. I'll take in any animal though. If some poor soul wants my help the better have four legs and a tail.

- Ebenezer Scrooge

Helping the poor has to be done with a lot of thoughtful decision. I grew up very very poor mostly homeless. People helped us all the time, they gave us food until they wearied of the burden. We were given clothes, sometimes a few days of shelter.

As I grew up I developed an absolute burning hatred for these do gooders. We depended on the kindness of strangers (family had long since become disgusted with the eternal hand out palm up). If not for the helpers my parents would have been forced to get a job and stop being on the streets.

I would not help someone if they were bleeding in the gutter and I had the last band aid. I'll take in any animal though. If some poor soul wants my help the better have four legs and a tail.
Then why did you call it, "One of the best stories ever?"

- Ebenezer Scrooge

You sound like a sociopath.

The question "who cares about the poor the most" presupposes that caring about the poor is a responsibility.

It is only your responsibility if you feel that it is your responsibility or if someone forces you to assume responsibility.

Clearly there are those who don't feel this way.

Having said that, it would appear that those of faith are much more likely to help the poor.

Religious Faith and Charitable Giving | Hoover Institution

I would argue that we help the poor best when helping ourselves and capitalism has done more for the poor than any religious or bleeding heart liberal organization. Bill gates, for example, does way more good via jobs created by his greedy corporation as opposed to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

95% of MS worker bees are Indian Business-Visas; if that's your vision of building a string America.
His Foundations are mostly farces are they don't hold nearly as much in funding as they claim and most of that money is spent, shockingly, in Africa and Indian, the world's largest bastions of cheap labor.

- Ebenezer Scrooge

Merry Christmas.

Forum List

Back