Who Believes Bush Controls Gas Prices?

RATFLAMO!!! What a great post!! You have described yourself down to a T...unbelievable, that the one thing that really pisses you off is the one thing you do constantly....

Perhaps you could be specific and point out where you have called me to the mat, requiring me to back up a claim, and I had dodged and deflected and ignored you.

As now I am calling you to the mat.:teeth:

Perhaps you could be specific and point out where you have called me to the mat, requiring me to back up a claim, and I had dodged and deflected and ignored you.

As now I am calling you to the mat.:teeth:

I have done it several times already. You have failed on every occasion. Why would you start now? Why should I do so again only for you to do the same? I won't waste my time...neither will you....

I believe that the president affects oil prices, indeed I do.... in fact every time the President of Iran says that he intends to blow Israel off of the face of the map, the price of oil goes up.

Actually the president does have control over a large strategic reserve of Oil in the United States. It is a privilege accompanying the position of commander and Chief.

The reserve was created shortly after the 1973 Arab Oil embargo as a response to the threat of OPEC boycott. I am unsure of the total number of barrels in the reserve but do know that it is enough to sufficiently punish the OPEC cartel should they decide to impose an embargo. This would suggest that the quantity is enough to send oil prices tumbling for at least several days. (This assumes a massive release).

I do not know whether we have tapped into this reserve (it is literally a stock pile of oil) but have not recently seen anything in the news about it.

If you would like to honestly know if Bush is manipulating oil prices before the election than see if he has authorized use of our strategic reserves.

Of course it should not matter, The party of family values and fiscal responsibility has done enough damage that small changes in gas prices should not matter. Then again, the public does have a short attention span.

Huck

Holy Hell!! how moronic. Believe me no oil reserves have been used to alter the supply and effect gasoline prices for the purpose of the election. It would be political suicide, pounced upon a by a savage media freenzy.

Holy Hell!! how moronic. Believe me no oil reserves have been used to alter the supply and effect gasoline prices for the purpose of the election. It would be political suicide, pounced upon a by a savage media freenzy.

As far as the price of gasoline is concerned, the GSCI (Goldman Sachs Commodity Index) weighting for unleaded gasoline was adjusted from 8.45% to 2.3% in early August (subsequently we began seeing large drops in the price of gasoline). The GSCI is the premier commodity index to which over $100 billion of index commodity funds are tied. In order to abide by these new weightings, a lot of unleaded gasoline futures contracts had to be sold by these funds.

As far as the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is concerned, I do not know if any more oil has left the reserve recently. But the oil released after Katrina has not been replaced. This came directly from a USGovt Dept of Energy spokesman. According to Federal Law, such drawdowns are to be replaced within 60 days.

If anyone believes that we do not have manipulated (not controlled, but manipulated) financial markets, they are being naive. Heck, our currency is manipulated. It has been going on for decades. Has anyone ever heard of the The Working Group for Financial Markets or the Counterparty Risk Management Policy Group (I know BaronVonBigmeat has)?

Brian (A conservative wondering if there are any left)

As far as the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is concerned, I do not know if any more oil has left the reserve recently. But the oil released after Katrina has not been replaced. This came directly from a USGovt Dept of Energy spokesman. According to Federal Law, such drawdowns are to be replaced within 60 days.

We live in an open and free society with freedom of the press. The release of oil from the SPC would envolve numerous bureaucrats, refiners and distributors, the event would be noticed. If such an event occured for the purpose of increasing the supply of gasoline to help reduce the price for US consumers during an election cycle the mainstream media would have an gigantic spontaneous orgasm all over themseleves reporting such an event. There has been no such reporting. Such a notion my hold water for the tinfoil hat crowd, but in reality it is absurd.

Oh, didn't you know? There's a computer in the Oval Office that Bush uses every morning. It simply has four blanks labelled "Unleaded," "Premium," "Supreme," and "Diesel" with a "submit" button at the bottom.

We live in an open and free society with freedom of the press. The release of oil from the SPC would envolve numerous bureaucrats, refiners and distributors, the event would be noticed. If such an event occured for the purpose of increasing the supply of gasoline to help reduce the price for US consumers during an election cycle the mainstream media would have an gigantic spontaneous orgasm all over themseleves reporting such an event. There has been no such reporting. Such a notion my hold water for the tinfoil hat crowd, but in reality it is absurd.

Just to be clear here ... as stated in my earlier post, gasoline prices were markedly affected by the timely adjustments in the GSCI (early August). These adjustments had a predictable effect on the price of gasoline (putting downward pressure on the price). This action by Goldman Sachs has been widely reported and criticized by many.

Just to be clear here ... as stated in my earlier post, gasoline prices were markedly affected by the timely adjustments in the GSCI (early August). These adjustments had a predictable effect on the price of gasoline (putting downward pressure on the price). This action by Goldman Sachs has been widely reported and criticized by many.

Wow that's great, thanks for just being clear. You keep quoting me for your responses. I never once mentioned the adjustments by Goldman Sachs. I was responding to Huckleberry's absurd notion that the President could have used the SPR to influence gas prices.

Wow that's great, thanks for just being clear. You keep quoting me for your responses. I never once mentioned the adjustments by Goldman Sachs. I was responding to Huckleberry's absurd notion that the President could have used the SPR to influence gas prices.

You may have meant to respond to Huckleberry but you quoted me in your response in error. Hence, my previous post. Next time quote Huckleberry for you response.

Brian

You may have meant to respond to Huckleberry but you quoted me in your response in error. Hence, my previous post. Next time quote Huckleberry for you response.

Brian

I was originally responding to Huckleberry's post not yours. Your first post in this thread is #50. Huckleberry's post is #47 to which I responded in post #49. No error was made.

I did quote your portion of your post that dealt with the SPC, however for some reason you wanted to clarify your point about Goldman Sachs, fine.

Probably just a misunderstading.

*note - edited to remove an unnecessary snide remark.

Forum List

Back