Who are the Israelis?

40 Bnei Akiva emissaries sent around the world
World Bnei Akiva movement completes training of 40 'Shlichim' to support Jewish communities around the world.

About forty Shlichim (emissaries) from the World Bnei Akiva movement finished their training Wednesday night with a ceremony that lasted several sessions and culminated this week in a three-day workshop in Migdal Oz in Gush Etzion.

Afterwards Roi Abecassis, the movement's Secretary General, wished success to the Shlichim and told them: "You are a pioneering force of the State for the [Jewish] communities. With your presence you send the message that we are united with them. Together with you, we will strengthen Jewish identity and connection with Israel and encourage Aliyah." The Shlichim and staff read together the 'Tfila (prayer) for the Shaliach' that mentions: "Make us a partner in fulfilling the vision of the prophets in restoring your people of Israel to Zion and Jerusalem."

The Bnei Akiva movement noted with satisfaction the fact that despite the coronavirus it is already possible to send Shlichim for the benefit of the Jewish communities around the world. The Minister of Aliyah and Absorption, Pnina Tamano-Shata, sent a recorded greeting to the Shlichim and said: "I have no doubt that during your mission you will bring hearts together and bring about Aliyah as well."

968332.jpg

RE: Who are the Israelis?
⁜→ rylah, et al,

BLUF: I would not have thought this would be such a problem. This seems much to do about nothing.

The woman leading the lobby to promote relations with Christians
815830.jpg
(COMMENT)

I must be naive in this respect. I would not have thought the relationship between the two faith-based systems even needed such a formal support system.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

RE: Who are the Israelis?
⁜→ rylah, et al,

BLUF: I would not have thought this would be such a problem. This seems much to do about nothing.

The woman leading the lobby to promote relations with Christians
815830.jpg
(COMMENT)

I must be naive in this respect. I would not have thought the relationship between the two faith-based systems even needed such a formal support system.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R
Well, there're no mosques in Vatican, or churches in Medina,
but Jerusalem is important to more people than followers of each of those.

There're several that function more as direct channels between communities and the govt.
This new one will be working with Nigeria and the republics of Congo.

The quiet revolution on the Temple Mount

Under the radar, a quiet revolution is taking place, as the number of Jews visiting the Temple Mount surges.

Jewish visitors to the Temple Mount, once a rare sight, has become commonplace, with the number of Jews visiting the holy site surging by several hundred percent in recent years. Data on the annual number of Jewish visitors to the Temple Mount shows a consistent upward trend.

But what is less well known is the quiet revolution taking place on the Temple Mount, thanks to the tens of thousands of people who ascend the Mount, and thanks to the work of Matte Irguni HaMikdash, which maintains a productive dialogue with police in the field, as well as with the local commander and even with Israel’s recent Public Security ministers.

The attitude of police on the Temple Mount has become far more friendly towards Jewish visitors, making visits to the holy site far more positive.

This change culminated in a shift in the police department’s policy on the Mount, which now quietly permits, albeit unofficially, Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount.

Just a few years ago, any Jew who was seen quietly praying by himself – even if those around him couldn’t even hear the words – would have been detained by police and barred from the Temple Mount for an extended period.

Today, however, most of the several dozen people barred from the Temple Mount are employees of the Waqf, the Islamic trust which manages the Mount. Now, when Muslims attempt to harass Jews on the Temple Mount, they are arrested on the spot and barred from the Mount for four to six months, something which did not use to happen. Even the former Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Ekrima Sa'id Sabri, was banned from the Temple Mount for half a year. In addition, the police have even permitted a model of the Temple to be displayed near the entrance used by Jews ascending the Mount.

The organization largely responsible for these changes is the Matte Irguni HaMikdash, an umbrella group which unites the efforts of multiple Temple Mount activist groups.

In recent years, the Matte Irguni HaMikdash has established, in cooperation with police, a steering committee, aimed at coordinating the Matte’s activities with the authorities. The steering committee’s work includes regular meetings between police commanders and members of the Matte and maintaining an open dialogue between the two sides.

Under the auspices of the Matte, and in cooperation with various Temple Mount activist groups, extensive public relations work is carried out, including maintaining a team of Temple Mount tour guides who provide historical and halachic information about the Mount, media outreach, distributing pamphlets, practicing commandments associated with the Temple Mount, along with groups dedicated to organizing group visits by rabbis and during special occasions like Jerusalem Day and Israeli Independence Day.

Now, ahead of Tisha B’Av, the Matte has launched a fundraising campaign to enable it to continue its operations.

“Because of the public relations work and our cooperation with security forces, there are amazing changes underway on the Temple Mount,” said Matte leaders. “We’re moving forward one step at a time, and with each step there are more and more Jews who are coming to visit the Temple Mount.”

“Open your heart for the sake of the Temple Mount, so that we can continue with this holy work, with our various activities; so we can continue to grow and keep this change going; so that Jews can pray on the Temple Mount as they should be able to, wearing phylacteries and prayer shawls; so that we continue to move forward towards the Third Temple. We need your support.”

To help strengthen the Jewish presence on the Temple Mount, click here to donate to the Matte Irguni HaMikdash.

Last edited:
It is better to be a floor washer in Eretz Yisrael than a Rabbi in the Diaspora

There is no obligation to be a Rabbi, but there is an obligation for a Jew to dwell in the Land of Israel

Rabbi Shlomo Aviner heads the Ateret Yerushalayim Yeshiva, located in the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem. I asked him if Diaspora Rabbis should encourage their congregations to make Aliyah.

He replied, “People don’t make Aliyah because they are still in love with the Exile and don’t want to give it up. Therefore, it isn’t enough that Rabbis merely call upon people to make Aliyah. The Rabbis must make the mitzvah of Aliyah a constant and central part of Jewish education. And, it goes without saying that they should make Aliyah themselves.:

"Concurrently, Israel must find practical solutions to the difficulties which new olim encounter, such as finding a livelihood, the education of children, and arranging for klita in communities where the language of the oleh is spoken.”

“A Rabbi who comes on Aliyah can’t always find work as a Rabbi in Eretz Yisrael, where Torah scholars abound,” I responded.

“That is true, but it is preferable to be a simple Jew in Eretz Yisrael than to be a Rabbi in the Diaspora, as is stated in the Yerushalmi, Tractate Nedarim, 6:3, ‘The Holy One Blessed Be He says: A small group in Eretz Yisrael is more beloved to me than the Sanhedrin outside of Israel.’ There is no obligation to be a Rabbi, but there is an obligation for a Jew to dwell in the Land of Israel."

HaRav Yosef Chaim Zonnenfeld, co-founder of the Edah HaChareidis in Jerusalem, and Maran HaRav Kook, Israel's first Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi and the iconic sage who was the undisputed leader of Religious Zionism, both believed that a working person in Eretz Yisrael is preferable to a Torah scholar outside of Israel.

(The rabbis had a close relationship, but were vigorous opponents in many areas In 1913, the two traveled together to the Galilee to visit secular Jewish pioneers..

In the book, ‘Ha-Ish Al Ha-Chomah’ (pp. 157-158), it is related that Rav Zonnenfeld's grandson, like many yeshiva students, was in a difficult financial state but had a great desire to continue learning Torah. He received an offer from one of the famous cities in Czechoslovakia to become its Rabbi, which would solve both of his problems.

He went to discuss the matter with his grandfather. HaRav Zonenfeld lovingly looked at his grandson and said to him: ‘According to my opinion, it is preferable to be a working man in Eretz Yisrael than a Rabbi outside of Eretz Yisrael.’

Similarly, it is told that a student of HaRav Kook asked him about traveling to America to become a Rabbi. HaRav Kook discouraged him, saying, ‘It is better to start some business here in Yerushalayim than to embark on a Rabbinical career in America," (‘Le- Shelosha B’Elul,’ Vol. 2 #32.) The student followed Rabbi Kook’s advice and succeeded, while continuing to learn Torah on a regular basis.

912449.jpg

WATCH: Who is the 'Holy Lion'?

In a new video produced on the occasion of the anniversary the day of the passing of Rabbi Isaac Luria, also known as “Ha'ARI Hakadosh” (the 'Holy Lion'), famous Israeli actor Aviv Alush tells the story of the rabbi. The video was written by Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu and directed by Yaakov Asraf and Alush

Israellycool.

"It was “other people” who launched pogroms against Jews in 1920s and 1930s. It was the “other people” who allied with Hitler during World War II, continuing to stoke violence against Jews, making the formation of a peaceful multiethnic state impossible. It was the “other people” who rejected the United Nations partition plan and launched an all-out war against Jews only three years after the concentration camps were liberated... It was “other people” who rejected dozens of peace offerings from 1948 onward. And yet, some of those “other people” still reside in Israel and enjoy more liberal rights than Arabs do in any Arab nation."
Following Jewish actor and comedian Seth Rogen's incredibly ignorant and damaging comments about Israel, many have written their own responses - some good, some bad, and some something in between. Why Seth Rogen’s Anti-Israel Rant Matters by David Harsanyi, senior writer for National Review, is am...

About This Website

ISRAELLYCOOL.COM

Mandatory Reading (Especially For Seth Rogen)

^ I was once a young Jewish person growing up in similar cultural circumstances to Rogen’s, and anyone with basic cognitive abilities understood that “other people” lived in Israel. It was “other people” who launched pogroms against Jews in 1920s and 1930s. It was the “other people” who allied with Hitler during World War II, continuing to stoke violence against Jews, making the formation of a peaceful multiethnic state impossible. It was the “other people” who rejected the United Nations partition plan and launched an all-out war against Jews only three years after the concentration camps were liberated. It was “other people” who initiated wave after wave of terrorism against Jewish civilians — years before there were any “occupied” territories in the West Bank. It was “other people” who rejected dozens of peace offerings from 1948 onward. And yet, some of those “other people” still reside in Israel and enjoy more liberal rights than Arabs do in any Arab nation.
In fact, as the historian Efraim Karsh lays out in his indispensable book Palestine Betrayed, large numbers of those “other people” initially came to sparsely populated areas of Israel because of the influx of Jews, who, starting in the late 19th century, brought economic growth and opportunities with them.
And I hate to break the news to Rogen, but the only people who lived in Jerusalem before Jews showed up were the Jebusites.
As I said, read the entire thing. Especially if your name is Seth Rogen.

The Farhi Family

Haim Farhi
(Hebrew: חיים פרחי‎, Khayim Farkhiy; Arabic: حيم فارحي‎, also known as Haim "El Mu'allim"Arabic: المعلم‎ lit. "The Teacher"), (1760 – August 21, 1820) was an adviser to the governors of the Galilee in the days of the Ottoman Empire. Among the Jews he was known as Hakham Haim, because of his Talmudic learning.[1]

Farhi was chief advisor to Ahmad al-Jazzar of Acre, whose whims included blinding Farhi and leaving him physically scarred. Until his assassination in 1820, instigated by Farhi's own protege Abdullah Pasha, Farhi was the financial vizier and de facto ruler of Acre. After the murder, Abdullah Pasha ordered Farhi's body cast into the sea and confiscated all his property.[2] Two of Farhi’s brothers, Soliman and Rafael, living in Damascus, organized a siege against Abdullah Pasha in Acre to exact revenge.[2]

Wall painting of Haim Farhi, at the wall of Acre's Auditorium, Israel:

275px-Haim_Farkhi_Acre%2C.jpg

Lior Farhi - Guarding the Walls

I'm standing on the wall
Standing in the rain alone
And all the ancient city
A laying in the palm of my hand
I'm looking at her in love

I always ascend here just to look
But now I'm on duty

Yes, yes, who dreamed then in the classroom
When we learned by heart about Your walls
Yerushalayim I've set guards
That one day I will be among them

I'm standing on the wall
Standing and listening to the voices
The voices of the market and the chatter
Calls of salesmen and and carriages
Here's the voice of the Mouazine
Here's the ringing of the bell
But I have to listen carefully
If there's no grenade explosion

I'm standing on the wall
Shaking in cold and looking
Here the sun already sat down
Guarding from night what says the moonlight
Fully washing walls and gates
When comes the day
We no longer need guards

Last edited:
On July 22, 2020, a stunning announcement was reported by the Jerusalem Post about a new archaeological discovery by the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) in Arnona near the US Embassy in Jerusalem. It was the uncovering of a vast administrative center in Judea built during the reign of King Hezekiah with seals attesting to the ancient Jewish presence during the First Temple period between the eighth and the middle of the seventh century B.C.E. IAA archaeologist Benyamin Storchan in a Jerusalem Post report noted:

We found about 120 stamped seal impressions on jar handles written in ancient Hebrew script, which translate as ‘belonging to the king.’ These stamped jars were usually related to tax collection. Up to this day, 1,000 similar items have been found in over a century of excavations in Israel, which gives us an idea of the importance of this area.

In 2019, the City of David Foundation announced discovery of seals of legendary King David’s son. Lawrence Franklin noted in a Gatestone Institute article:

On September 9, 2019 , the foundation’s leading archaeologist, Eli Shukron, announced the discovery of a 2,600-year-old royal seal, found near the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem, which bears the name (in Hebrew) of Adenyahu, a son of King David mentioned in the biblical book of Kings.

As has been true with previous archaeological discoveries in Israel, however, this one is unlikely to put a dent in the long-term international campaign to delegitimize the Jewish state by rewriting and distorting its history, even by renaming the Jewish sites Rachel’s Tomb near Bethlehem to “Bilal ibn Rabah mosque” (it was never a mosque) and Hebron’s Tomb of the Patriarchs the Ibrahimi Mosque.

Biblical Archaeology and the Holy Land

Forum List

Back