Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball third basemen all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
Damn, this baseball-less Spring is REALLY starting to get to me. So, to alleviate my yearning for live baseball, ANY baseball, I thought I'd offer up another question ABOUT the sport. These would be players who either played their whole careers at third base, or at least most of their careers at that position. I WOULD'VE included A-Rod, but he played most of his career at shortstop before converting to third base. Anyway, here's some of my favorites - 1) Mike Schmidt, THE best power hitter to ever play third base, he was a fine defensive player, as well. 2) Brooks Robinson - THE best defensive third baseman I've seen. His play at that position was nothing less than stellar. And he was a pretty decent hitter, as well. 3) George Brett - great all-around hitter, he hit for power AND batting average. He was a decent defensive player, as well. 4) Wade Boggs, possibly a better natural hitter than Brett, he didn't have nearly the power George had. And Wade was a fine defensive player, as well. 5) Eddie Matthews - a VERY fine power hitter for many years for the Braves. He finished with over 500 career home runs, a HUGE feat in itself. He's also, I believe, possibly the only Braves player in franchise history to play for them when their home was Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta. He was a fine defensive player, as well. Well, there's MY top five, who are some of yours?

Damn, this baseball-less Spring is REALLY starting to get to me. So, to alleviate my yearning for live baseball, ANY baseball, I thought I'd offer up another question ABOUT the sport. These would be players who either played their whole careers at third base, or at least most of their careers at that position. I WOULD'VE included A-Rod, but he played most of his career at shortstop before converting to third base. Anyway, here's some of my favorites - 1) Mike Schmidt, THE best power hitter to ever play third base, he was a fine defensive player, as well. 2) Brooks Robinson - THE best defensive third baseman I've seen. His play at that position was nothing less than stellar. And he was a pretty decent hitter, as well. 3) George Brett - great all-around hitter, he hit for power AND batting average. He was a decent defensive player, as well. 4) Wade Boggs, possibly a better natural hitter than Brett, he didn't have nearly the power George had. And Wade was a fine defensive player, as well. 5) Eddie Matthews - a VERY fine power hitter for many years for the Braves. He finished with over 500 career home runs, a HUGE feat in itself. He's also, I believe, possibly the only Braves player in franchise history to play for them when their home was Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta. He was a fine defensive player, as well. Well, there's MY top five, who are some of yours?
Ron Cey

I can't much improve on that list. Thanks for citing Eddie Matthews, I thought of him right away.
Schmidt did hit some bombs, struck out a lot too. And won a ton of Gold Gloves, all deserved. His best year was sadly one that had a big strike right in the middle of it -- 1981.

That Nolan Arenado guy is pretty impressive.

Ron Cey
He was QUITE good. He had power AND he was a fine defensive player. Thanks for mentioning him.

I can't much improve on that list. Thanks for citing Eddie Matthews, I thought of him right away.
Schmidt did hit some bombs, struck out a lot too. And won a ton of Gold Gloves, all deserved. His best year was sadly one that had a big strike right in the middle of it -- 1981.

You're welcome. Matthews WAS quite impressive.

Close to Brooks Robinson for All Time 3-B

How many of those do you have in Baseball Card Form?
I BELIEVE I have at least one card of each of them. Unfortunately, I had to sell a lot of my best cards in the early 1990's because I ran into some severe financial problems. And I believe I still have an Eddie Matthews card from the mid-1960's. The person I sold my cards to passed on it, because it's not in real good condition. I would guess that was probably the reason. The card's not in horrific condition, I'd rate it about fair. Do you have any of these player's cards?

I agree with all of yours, I would add Matt Williams whose defense was stellar and hit for power. He was on track to break the home run record the year MLB went on strike; I also watched Ken Boyer, Chipper Jones and Paul Molitor.

I started collecting in 1970. Age 8.
I would ride my bike to the store, 6 miles away, but MOM was fine with it, as long as I made it home for dinner.
10Cents per pack. w/bubblegum.

That's when I started buying, but I have others I have collected since then. Pre1970.
I quit in the late 80's-early90's when the market was flooded.

I have ZERO cards from players like Trout and later.

I agree with all of yours, I would add Matt Williams whose defense was stellar and hit for power. He was on track to break the home run record the year MLB went on strike; I also watched Ken Boyer, Chipper Jones and Paul Molitor.
Thanks for your reply, RC. I completely forgot about Matt Williams! This is embarrassing because I've been an Arizona D-Backs fan since their inception, and Matt had some great years with the team. And you're correct about Matt in the strike-shortened season. I believe he had 43 home runs in just 110 games that year before the strike ended it.

I was a Pilot fan, for that 1 year. So I followed the Brewers for years.
Love Paul Molitor.
He played 786 out of the 1169 games he Started, at 3B. Played 21 Seasons.

I started collecting in 1970. Age 8.
I would ride my bike to the store, 6 miles away, but MOM was fine with it, as long as I made it home for dinner.
10Cents per pack. w/bubblegum.

That's when I started buying, but I have others I have collected since then. Pre1970.
I quit in the late 80's-early90's when the market was flooded.

I have ZERO cards from players like Trout and later.
I bet you have some REAL good ones in your collection. DON'T sell them, keep them! I sure wish I had been able to keep all of my good ones.

Close to Brooks Robinson for All Time 3-B

First year I was really interested in baseball was 1966, Baltimore featuring Brooks Robinson swept Los Angeles in 4 games. Saw the whole series on TV, it was after school for the first 2 games and on the weekend for the last 2.

I bet you have some REAL good ones in your collection. DON'T sell them, keep them! I sure wish I had been able to keep all of my good ones.

I had over 250,000 cards.
I got robbed, ransacked the entire house, and they got some of them.
I bet they resold the $20,000 worth of cards for $500. Idiots.

My favorite card that was stolen was a Gretzky Rookie, 9+ condition. Sweet card.
I wonder where that card is NOW?
gretzky.png

I was a Pilot fan, for that 1 year. So I followed the Brewers for years.
Love Paul Molitor.
He played 786 out of the 1169 games he Started, at 3B. Played 21 Seasons.
Oh yes, the Pilots! I still have quite a few of those cards, because I don't think they had ANY real good players on that team. And of course, the infamous Jim Bouton was a member of that team. I don't have HIS card from that team, but I do have a couple from his earlier years with the Yankees. I have a Tommy Harper card from that team, he was probably the best player on that roster. I also have a card, maybe two, of the infamous Gene Brabender (sp.?) a pitcher on that team, that Bouton says NEVER wore underwear with his pants after dressing after the game! This, of course, was infamously mentioned in Bouton's book, Ball Four.

Forum List

Back