Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball shortstops, all-time?

As our country's lock down drags on and on and on, I'm getting more and more hungry for live baseball. ANY baseball at this point, I would even watch a game of wiffle ball of players aged 80+, completely covered in protective wear. Anyway, this would be your favorites who played shortstop for their whole careers, or mostly at that position. My picks - 1) Honus Wagner, a great hitter AND great defensive player. I wish I had gotten to see him play. 2) Ozzie Smith, never much of a hitter, but he was THE best defensive player at that position, IMO. Some footage of him making seemingly impossible plays in the field is just amazing to watch. 4) Ernie Banks, although he DID play first base exclusively in his later seasons, he made his name at shortstop. And he had unbelievable power for a player at that position. 5) Cal Ripken, Jr., we all know about his incredible streak of games played, he was also very good defensively, and was a good hitter, as well. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?
Can't wait for you to ask what was the best WS you ever watched. Back in the day when the game was played.
Not like today with those 1 year contracts for HR hitters that can't play worth shit. I could rant on that one.

At least you like Americas game. Nothing like baseball.
Thanks. Best World Series IS a very good idea.

86’ is my vote
VERY understandable. I still think Bill Buckner got FAR too bad a rap for that play. He was a very good hitter throughout his career and NORMALLY very good defensively. My own favorite WS is 2001. Being a D-Backs fan since their inception, and living in Phoenix at the time make this an easy choice for me. My second favorite is 2005. I've been a White Sox fan since 1970, this series was beautiful to behold. The White Sox are my favorite team, followed closely by the D-Backs.
Big Unit fan, eh? LOL.
1967 Cards over Red Sox Bob Gibson MVP. Should have beat the Tigers in 1968.
Yep, Randy Johnson WAS a sight to see, and one of the greatest pitchers ever. He's still THE tallest MLB player ever, at 6 foot,10 inches. He must have been something to bat against.
The thing with Randy Johnson was he also had long arms. His height and release point meant he was over a foot closer to home when he released the ball.
Given his velocity and the batter having a foot less space to hit it in made him unhittable
Yep. Do you remember when John Kruk batted against Johnson in an All-Star game? Randy's first pitch went OVER John's head, and John turned his batting helmet around and switched to the right side of the plate, after feigning heart palpitations from the first pitch? That was hilarious. Kruk must have been a great guy to play with AND against. In his last season of baseball, as a member of the White Sox, he retired when got his career batting average back up to exactly .300. And this was BEFORE the season was over! He was quite a character.
That was funny

Kruk was under appreciated as a hitter. Kind of chubby with a horrible haircut. But the guy could hit.

AROD was the all around GOAT. It’s not even a debate
He WAS a great player, no doubt about that. But those stories of his steroidal use will always be there.

The roids hurts his legacy in most circles, but before he bulked up he was an amazing 5 tool player. Barry Bonds was on his level, but I give it to AROD because it’s much harder to play shortstop than left field.
I still have that issue with many roid heads. It made some good ball which can't be denied. Took a lot for me to finally give in about Barry Bonds actions. Still hate him for it.
And I think A-Rod SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame when he's eligible. The allegations of his steroid use seemed kind of sketchy to me. And he didn't really LOOK like someone taking steroids. Barry "Big Head" Bonds, on the other hand, gained at LEAST 60-70 lbs. of bulk and muscle, and his head really DID get bigger. His hat size actually increased, which is HIGHLY abnormal. There's no question in my mind he used steroids.

A-roid never got bigger because he was more than likely juicing since high school.

Bonds getting a swelled head was probably from HGH.
AD5A45FA-E5F8-4AC1-809A-8EC773AAE722.jpeg

He wasn’t juicing in high school

View attachment 327507

But he is such an asshole. A Rod.
I ALMOST picked him for my top 5. But he did play exclusively at third base and was a DH in his entire time with the Yankees. Also, there were the steroids allegations.
He was a gifted asshole and worse when he got to... Jeterland. Ugh.

Playing 3rd base held him back
You know what I'm talking about. Yankee fan, si?
I watched him against the Angels many times when the Rangers came to LA and he was great.

Im a met fan, but I always rooted for AROD on whatever team he played for. He was untucking believable as a Ranger

Buddy Harrelson and Jose Reyes

As our country's lock down drags on and on and on, I'm getting more and more hungry for live baseball. ANY baseball at this point, I would even watch a game of wiffle ball of players aged 80+, completely covered in protective wear. Anyway, this would be your favorites who played shortstop for their whole careers, or mostly at that position. My picks - 1) Honus Wagner, a great hitter AND great defensive player. I wish I had gotten to see him play. 2) Ozzie Smith, never much of a hitter, but he was THE best defensive player at that position, IMO. Some footage of him making seemingly impossible plays in the field is just amazing to watch. 4) Ernie Banks, although he DID play first base exclusively in his later seasons, he made his name at shortstop. And he had unbelievable power for a player at that position. 5) Cal Ripken, Jr., we all know about his incredible streak of games played, he was also very good defensively, and was a good hitter, as well. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?
Can't wait for you to ask what was the best WS you ever watched. Back in the day when the game was played.
Not like today with those 1 year contracts for HR hitters that can't play worth shit. I could rant on that one.

86’ is my vote
VERY understandable. I still think Bill Buckner got FAR too bad a rap for that play. He was a very good hitter throughout his career and NORMALLY very good defensively. My own favorite WS is 2001. Being a D-Backs fan since their inception, and living in Phoenix at the time make this an easy choice for me. My second favorite is 2005. I've been a White Sox fan since 1970, this series was beautiful to behold. The White Sox are my favorite team, followed closely by the D-Backs.
Big Unit fan, eh? LOL.
Yep, Randy Johnson WAS a sight to see, and one of the greatest pitchers ever. He's still THE tallest MLB player ever, at 6 foot,10 inches. He must have been something to bat against.
The thing with Randy Johnson was he also had long arms. His height and release point meant he was over a foot closer to home when he released the ball.
Given his velocity and the batter having a foot less space to hit it in made him unhittable
Yep. Do you remember when John Kruk batted against Johnson in an All-Star game? Randy's first pitch went OVER John's head, and John turned his batting helmet around and switched to the right side of the plate, after feigning heart palpitations from the first pitch? That was hilarious. Kruk must have been a great guy to play with AND against. In his last season of baseball, as a member of the White Sox, he retired when got his career batting average back up to exactly .300. And this was BEFORE the season was over! He was quite a character.
That was funny

Kruk was under appreciated as a hitter. Kind of chubby with a horrible haircut. But the guy could hit.
Yep, he WAS a very good hitter. I remember John talking about what his secret to hitting well was. He said he didn't HAVE a secret, he just swung at pitches that looked good to hit, and didn't swing at the ones that didn't look good to hit. I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard about the "art" of hitting.

He WAS a great player, no doubt about that. But those stories of his steroidal use will always be there.

The roids hurts his legacy in most circles, but before he bulked up he was an amazing 5 tool player. Barry Bonds was on his level, but I give it to AROD because it’s much harder to play shortstop than left field.
ARods years in Seattle when he played with Ken Griffey Jr were some of the best ever by a Shortstop
Edgar Martinez, Griffey, AROD, the Big Unit that was some team
Add Buhner

86’ is my vote
Big Unit fan, eh? LOL.
That was funny

Yep, he WAS a very good hitter. I remember John talking about what his secret to hitting well was. He said he didn't HAVE a secret, he just swung at pitches that looked good to hit, and didn't swing at the ones that didn't look good to hit. I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard about the "art" of hitting.
I looked up John Kruk's career stats. He's hilariously listed as 5 foot 10, and only 170 lbs.! Perhaps when he first came up to the big leagues, he looked like he weighed in at closer to 200 lbs. late in his career. Another interesting stat - John finished with exactly 100 career home runs, as well as his exact .300 career batting average.

ARods years in Seattle when he played with Ken Griffey Jr were some of the best ever by a Shortstop
Edgar Martinez, Griffey, AROD, the Big Unit that was some team
Add Buhner

I forgot about him. Remember when Keith oberman used to say his name on sports center? He would say his name like the teacher on Ferris Buller’s Day Off (Ben Stein) would say Buller Buller when he was taking attendance

My favorite shortstop was not major league. He could have been, but he chose family and duties.

He was AAA and the majors wanted him.

He loved the game, he really was good! He chose to be a teacher, mentor, and father instead.

He was one of the best, too. He gave us kids a lot of good times, here's to him!

86’ is my vote
Big Unit fan, eh? LOL.
That was funny

I looked up John Kruk's career stats. He's hilariously listed as 5 foot 10, and only 170 lbs.! Perhaps when he first came up to the big leagues, he looked like he weighed in at closer to 200 lbs. late in his career. Another interesting stat - John finished with exactly 100 career home runs, as well as his exact .300 career batting average.
I would have guessed 230 lbs

I know mine's name, but I ain't saying it. He was one of the best, but he let a baseball career go to be a teacher and other good things for us kids.
Pretty sure one of those Cuban kids around went on to become Pro.

The Mr. loved baseball and was very good at teaching us.

Jim Fregosi
Nice choice. I liked him, he was a good solid player, and later a good manager, as well. I have an interesting story about Jim Fregosi. My dad took me to a White Sox/Angels game in, I believe, 1969, possibly 1970. The White Sox were absolutely horrible at the time, and my dad was able to afford seats very close to the field, just a few rows up from the visiting team's on-deck circle. Fregosi, who was the Angels' shortstop at the time, came to the on-deck circle. Suddenly this crazy man, who my dad later told me was obviously VERY drunk, began LOUDLY shouting at Fregosi. I distinctly remember him shouting something like, "Hey, FREGOSKI, you're a f*ckin' bum!" "Get your ass off the field, you shouldn't even be in the big leagues!" This went on for the time Fregosi was in the on-deck circle, at one point he gripped his bat VERY tightly and looked like he wanted to come into the stands after the guy. Luckily this didn't happen, and security came to take the guy away. I'll never forget this, even though I was probably just 8 years old at the time. It was the first time I had seen anyone who was obviously drunk in a public place, and most likely the first time I had ever heard the word f*ck, or a variation of it. (This WAS 1969 or '70.) What a crazy experience that was!

Eddie Brinkman,
Interesting choice. I vaguely remember him. I think I remember he played for the Washington Senators. I'll look him up.
Yep. I think I saw him play in a White Sox/Senators game when I was a kid. He also played for Detroit, St. Louis, Texas, and one season with the Yankees. He was never much of a hitter, but he was quite good defensively. And he played quite a few more seasons than I thought he did. This was probably due to his great defensive play.

Guess I missed this thread, but the answer's easy. It begins and ends with The Wizard. Cards got him for no less a personage than Gary Templeton, possibly the best trade that club ever made.

Pretty sure nobody has ever done this:

So proud of my homies. Here's a guy that spent years killing our rallies but when he comes to town for the All Star Game they're on their feet in respect. Even gets a fist bump from the Phanatic.

Guess I missed this thread, but the answer's easy. It begins and ends with The Wizard. Cards got him for no less a personage than Gary Templeton, possibly the best trade that club ever made.

Pretty sure nobody has ever done this:

So proud of my homies. Here's a guy that spent years killing our rallies but when he comes to town for the All Star Game they're on their feet in appreciation for what he does. Even gets skin from the Phanatic.

Ozzie is my #2 favorite shortstop all-time, behind only Honus Wagner. And Ozzie is, of course, THE greatest defensive shortstop all-time. Thanks for the videos.

Forum List

Back