White House To Block New Redskins Stadium Over Team's Name

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Efforts to lure the Washington Redskins back to the District have come up against a potentially insurmountable challenge: the Obama administrationā€™s objections to the teamā€™s name.

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell told D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser this spring that the National Park Service, which owns the land beneath Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, was unlikely to accommodate construction of a new stadium for the Redskins unless the team changes its name.

Jewell oversees both national park land and Americaā€™s trust and treaty relationships with Native American tribes.

Her decision not to extend the Districtā€™s lease of the RFK land badly hinders Bowserā€™s bid to return the Redskins to D.C. ā€” and boosts efforts to lure the team across the Potomac to Northern Virginia.

Since joining the Obama administration two years ago, Jewell has repeatedly echoed the presidentā€™s concern that the name is offensive to Native Americans. Last fall she called the name a ā€œrelic of the pastā€ that should be changed.

ā€œPersonally, I think we would never consider naming a team the ā€˜Blackskinsā€™ or the ā€˜Brownskinsā€™ or the ā€˜Whiteskins.ā€™ So, personally, I find it surprising that in this day and age, the name is not different,ā€ Jewell told ABC News.

More: Obama administration rebuffs D.C.'s efforts to bring back the Redskins - The Washington Post

Thank you, President Obama and Interior Secretary Sally Jewell.

lol, sure he is. Mess with people's Nascar and football.

He's not Mussolini, Hugo Chavez, Castro, etc and we aren't the USSR YET. no matter how hard he tries

I aint the one wanting my imagines off shit. I have such a thing as pride and honor.

Whine little bitch whine!!!

Maybe we can name the team the Washington Confederates! We can put a confederate flag on the uniform and helmet.

why-is-yawning-contagious01.jpg

Maryland thanks Obama for allowing them to keep the change..............and the revenues from the Redskins remaining there.............

This is about a new stadium, and a bid for the Olympics............and the Redskins have the capital to put SKIN in the game...........but alas........the Owner will not change the teams name......he's made that very clear.........

So congrats Maryland...........they are staying.......

Forum List

Back