Which caliber is best for stopping a crook? Pistol, rifle or shotgun?

The best gun is the one you feel comfortable with and can hit what you are aiming at.

You can go to gun ranges and pay to try many versions and find the one that is best for you.

Now at close range and you can't shoot for shit. SHOTGUN 00 buckshot. Hard to miss.

My two cents.
Very few but the hunter who shoots frequently or a trained cop are going to be comfortable shooting a 12 gauge well enough, and rarely inside, even at gun ranges. They are too loud and way too much kick for the average person to think about using for self defense when shooting frequently is important for reacting in stressful situations. I especially don’t like the single action trigger of most shotguns either when such a devastating weapon Used inside.

You need your wits about you and the last thing you need is any doubt about your firearm. Use the firearm you are comfortable handling and shooting the most. For simplicity, the 9 mm, and .380 and maybe no brainer snobby .38 which has its own recoil issues.
IMO, the ideal house gun is a mid size . 38 revolver which literally, everyone in the house who can hold can learn to load can also shoot on double action more safely then anyother firearm made. Even a .22 could be a better choice if that’s what you’re most comfortable with. Inside most homes, over penetration is an issue with every firearm so the key is safe handling to begin with..

I like DAO autos too, but racking the slide may not be suitable for everyone.
If one is determined to use a shot gun, I’d start at 20 gauge and work down.

Last edited:
The guy just shot breaking into my house can't hear anymore. That's a shame. OH SHIT .............drywall repair........Dry wall sucks.
Hope you were kidding…Oh, who cares about crooks, I’m concerned about the hearing of the shooter and family members. You actually thought I was concerned about a criminal in the act…let’s be real.

Last edited:
The best gun is the one you feel comfortable with and can hit what you are aiming at.

You can go to gun ranges and pay to try many versions and find the one that is best for you.

Now at close range and you can't shoot for shit. SHOTGUN 00 buckshot. Hard to miss.
Anybody who qualifies for a carry permit probably has spent some time on the range but we are talking about defense in mostly a confined space and almost nobody aims when confronted in a deadly situation. We are going back to the difference between a home confrontation and a concealed weapon confrontation. In the case of a concealed weapon incident the question is whether you can get to the firearm and fire it before you are assaulted and killed. A nice little 380 auto seems ideal for concealed carry but the confusion about a round in the chamber and engaging the safety in a confrontational situation can mean the crucial seconds between life and death. For my money a .38 revolver loaded with six or five in a concealed carry defense situation is your best bet. Point and pull the trigger. A (legal) sawed off 12 ga loaded with #4 goose loads is your best bet for shock and awe in a home invasion situation

Last edited:
i-jJngR8x-XL.jpg

Anybody who qualifies for a carry permit probably has spent some time on the range but we are talking about defense in mostly a confined space. Almost nobody aims when confronted in a deadly situation. The issue is whether they can get to their firearm and fire it before they are assaulted and killed. A nice little 380 auto seems ideal but the confusion about a round in the chamber and engaging the safety in a confrontational situation can mean the crucial seconds between life and death. For my money a .38 revolver loaded with six or five in a defense situation is your best bet. Point and pull the trigger.
Exactly….
that’s a good reason to have more then one. 😜

Yeah....I should use something quieter....by the way....have you ever fired a gun indoors?
I have on numerous occasions.
Any gun is going to be loud unless you have a silencer.
Ah, yes. Our department trained frequently inside. Everyone thinks from the time they pull a trigger on. This isn’t ,target shooting. Your first responsibility is to not injure or kill a family member either during a break in or more realistically when you react to a perceived threat when no one is there. You live alone, I don’t give a sht what anyone does.

Ah, yes. Our department trained frequently inside. Everyone thinks from the time they pull a trigger on. This isn’t ,target shooting. Your first responsibility is to not injure or kill a family member either during a break in or more realistically when you react to a perceived threat when no one is there. You live alone, I don’t give a sht what anyone does.
My team used to train cops in Urban Warfare when I was on an "A" Team at 5th Group.....so I pretty much know all about that. For one thing you have to figure out where you can shoot and where you can't shoot before hand. Which walls are redzones or danger areas taking into consideration family members.

But the reason I mentioned a shotgun was because it has less penetration especially if you're using birdshot. Chances of it going all the way thru a perp are greatly decreased. You just want to knock the perp on his ass and render them less of a threat. Not to mention the fact that we use shotguns to do door openings in a hurry rather then using a shape charge or explosive.

You also never pull the trigger unless you have positive I.D. on the target. You can't just think it's the perp...you have to know it's the perp.

But the top reason for a shotgun is you're probably going to be just waking up and not able to see as well as when you're wide awake....so pinpoint accuracy isn't necessary. Point it and shoot.

Crook close up..shotgun..crook more that 30ft..rifle--handguns are for personal protection..closer the better..but..many's the gun fight that has had dozens of rounds fired..and no hits. A well trained dog is just as good, if not better, for home protection...IMO.

Well trained dogs cost 5 times what a gun costs.

The 14-gauge with sabot rounds has proven efficient. Not at all heavy; Moderate kick though the barrel being cut to 18-1/8 inch might be somewhat to blame on that account. Works good on bears, too.

No such thing as a 14 gauge in general use. 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and .410 are the ones in use here in the USA.

Watching this, you'd think the .380 ACP is best, or at least as good as the rest of the pistols. This would mean that you could get a smaller, lighter pistol with the .380 without losing any effectiveness.

The 2nd amendment allows us guns. Which gun do you think has the most stopping power? Which is the easiest to carry? Do you believe the study is accurate?

The answer is what you have in your hand, when you need it. Be proficient in whatever you use. That is rule one.

Best thing I know for home defense is a 12 gauge with a light so you just point and shoot. Put the light where you want it to go. I'd use birdshot....#4 or #7. The main thing is stopping power without too much penetration.

I have a pump action Mossburg 12 gauge that holds 6 rounds. It is cut off a 1/4 inch over the legal limit. I use a mix of slugs and buckshot. That would stop Godzilla. Also have a Smith and Wesson .41 Mag in the nightstand. That would merely stop a Grizzly Bear. :D

Last edited:
Anybody who qualifies for a carry permit probably has spent some time on the range but we are talking about defense in mostly a confined space and almost nobody aims when confronted in a deadly situation. We are going back to the difference between a home confrontation and a concealed weapon confrontation. In the case of a concealed weapon incident the question is whether you can get to the firearm and fire it before you are assaulted and killed. A nice little 380 auto seems ideal for concealed carry but the confusion about a round in the chamber and engaging the safety in a confrontational situation can mean the crucial seconds between life and death. For my money a .38 revolver loaded with six or five in a concealed carry defense situation is your best bet. Point and pull the trigger. A (legal) sawed off 12 ga loaded with #4 goose loads is your best bet for shock and awe in a home invasion situation
You can't expect to be a pro with any gun if you don't at the very least familiarize yourself with the weapon before actually firing the thing. Learn how to work it like second nature and develop muscle-memory before you load it and put it into full operation. Range time is important.....but it's getting more and more difficult to get ammo for some guns. Trap door 45-70s are tough to get and so are 45Long Colt....not Cowboy Loads....everyone has those. My brother does his own loading....and he's a retired US Marshal but he can't get primers anymore.

I've got a Mossburg 590 12 gauge....mine holds 7 rds. I wouldn't use slugs in the house.

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 and indoors I use high base #6 shot. It will remove whatever it hits at short range, and dies in a wall.

If I hear a noise in the house late at night, I get the .357 revolver out of my nightstand. It is a solid old Ruger Security Six. My girlfriend has a S&W snubnosed revolver in her nightstand in .357 as well. Both are loaded with the first round being .38 Special ratshot, followed by 5 rounds of 158 grain Mag-Safe.

We have talked over and over about what we will do and where we will go. If we wake up in time to grab the dog before he goes after whomever is in the house, we'll be fine. Anyone hurts the dog and it will be a slow, torturous death for them.

If I hear a noise in the house late at night, I get the .357 revolver out of my nightstand. It is a solid old Ruger Security Six. My girlfriend has a S&W snubnosed revolver in her nightstand in .357 as well. Both are loaded with the first round being .38 Special ratshot, followed by 5 rounds of 158 grain Mag-Safe.

We have talked over and over about what we will do and where we will go. If we wake up in time to grab the dog before he goes after whomever is in the house, we'll be fine. Anyone hurts the dog and it will be a slow, torturous death for them.
I have a dog that scares my vet to death. I never trained him to be that way....he just hates her because she cut his nuts off and he has a long memory. I pity the fool that breaks into my house.
My wife is suffering from Dementia so working out a plan with her is useless.

I don't think anyone is going to try to break in to my house. My primary concern is Poopy-Pants and his AG trying to take me down with his corrupt FBI.....even though I don't break the law. It's sad when you live in a formerly free country and your worst worry is your government turning against you.

Last edited:
My two cents.
Very few but the hunter who shoots frequently or a trained cop are going to be comfortable shooting a 12 gauge well enough, and rarely inside, even at gun ranges. They are too loud and way too much kick for the average person to think about using for self defense when shooting frequently is important for reacting in stressful situations. I especially don’t like the single action trigger of most shotguns either when such a devastating weapon Used inside.

You need your wits about you and the last thing you need is any doubt about your firearm. Use the firearm you are comfortable handling and shooting the most. For simplicity, the 9 mm, and .380 and maybe no brainer snobby .38 which has its own recoil issues.
IMO, the ideal house gun is a mid size . 38 revolver which literally, everyone in the house who can hold can learn to load can also shoot on double action more safely then anyother firearm made. Even a .22 could be a better choice if that’s what you’re most comfortable with. Inside most homes, over penetration is an issue with every firearm so the key is safe handling to begin with..

I like DAO autos too, but racking the slide may not be suitable for everyone.
If one is determined to use a shot gun, I’d start at 20 gauge and work down.
Course you don't want to use buckshot....because they put a larger charge in them than in #9 birdshot.
Pull the trigger and you'll discover the difference....immediately.
#9 isn't is that bad.
I fired a 20 gauge when I was 12.....haven't fired one since.

I dont know about having rat shot as your first round.
You may not get an easy shot after the first one so I'd want it to be lethal.

Forum List

Back