Which caliber is best for stopping a crook? Pistol, rifle or shotgun?

Uh-huh..sure..keep thinking that political party or ideological position somehow equates to some sort of innate skill with firearms..dumbass~
I know dogs that would rip your throat out..while you piss yourself and fire your weapon into the floor. just sayin'--a guy is a lot more frantic..with 120 lbs of dog attached to him.
All your post goes to show is that being a fool is a non-political affair.

You don't need squat that shoots 100 yards for home defense. If the perp is fleeing..ya stop shooting..unless you like jail~

LOL....you use your dog,and I'll shoot it.

I used to carry the LCP .380 but I decided to carry a Sig P365 SAS version in 9 mm. It's a pure pocket gun in 9 mm. The SAS stands for "Sig Anti Snag". The sights are rather odd but effective. There are no raised contact points like front or rear sight posts or any safety or magazine buttons that can snag coming out of a pocket. It also has a couple of venting ports near the muzzle to reduce the flip of recoil. I carry it for self defense and practice with it no farther away from a target than 3 steps.

I disagree about rifles being all bad for home defense. An AR-15 is the PERFECT home defense weapon for most women, due to the near lack of recoil. The only caveat to that would be for those living in apartments rather than homes with some distance between them. That's just my opinion, of course.
The very best gun for self defense is a gun you TRAIN WITH and learn to handle safely.
Rifles are bad because of over penetration and how they limit your mobility.

The sig is ok, but the lcp is more durable.

Watching this, you'd think the .380 ACP is best, or at least as good as the rest of the pistols. This would mean that you could get a smaller, lighter pistol with the .380 without losing any effectiveness.

The 2nd amendment allows us guns. Which gun do you think has the most stopping power? Which is the easiest to carry? Do you believe the study is accurate?

The most powerful caliber the shooter can handle, is the best caliber.

The phrase "stopping a crook" has several meanings and several venues. Most firearm related incidents that "stop a crook" involve the mere brandishing of a weapon. As far as a homeowner confronting a potential burglar in the middle of the night nothing does it better than the big muzzle of a shotgun. You can get a single barrel shotgun for a reasonable price and cut the barrel down to a legal federal limit and load that bad boy up with #4 duck loads and you have a kickass weapon.

Watching this, you'd think the .380 ACP is best, or at least as good as the rest of the pistols. This would mean that you could get a smaller, lighter pistol with the .380 without losing any effectiveness.

The 2nd amendment allows us guns. Which gun do you think has the most stopping power? Which is the easiest to carry? Do you believe the study is accurate?

Just call the police, gun nut.

I would submit that, in most situations, a shotgun.

It's an intimidating weapon. It has lots of potential stopping power, and the least chance for a missed shot going through a wall to harm innocents.

Down side, not appropriate as a carry weapon. No easy, or legal, to conceal.

The 14-gauge with sabot rounds has proven efficient. Not at all heavy; Moderate kick though the barrel being cut to 18-1/8 inch might be somewhat to blame on that account. Works good on bears, too.

I would submit that, in most situations, a shotgun.

It's an intimidating weapon. It has lots of potential stopping power, and the least chance for a missed shot going through a wall to harm innocents.

Down side, not appropriate as a carry weapon. No easy, or legal, to conceal.

And lack of capacity as well.

I'm most likely going to pick up my FNX .45 Tactical since it holds 16 rounds and has a laser so you dont actually have to aim with sights.
And since my house is all brick I could grab the AR and not worry about killing my neighbors. Of course I'd have to make sure the soon to be dead guy isnt standing in front of a window.

The phrase "stopping a crook" has several meanings and several venues. Most firearm related incidents that "stop a crook" involve the mere brandishing of a weapon. As far as a homeowner confronting a potential burglar in the middle of the night nothing does it better than the big muzzle of a shotgun. You can get a single barrel shotgun for a reasonable price and cut the barrel down to a legal federal limit and load that bad boy up with #4 duck loads and you have a kickass weapon.

Thats my wife's gun but she has it in an 870 Wingmaster.
Her dad cut it to 18 and 1/8 and put the bead back on and gave it to her when she moved to Houston from the major metropolis of Bedias Texas with an astounding population of 443 people.

When I carry, I carry a Springfield M1911. Good stopping power in an accurate enough round for self protection. And being so slim it is easy to carry concealed.

At home my g/f and I each have a .357 revolver in our nightstand. The first round will be .38 Special shotshell, and the next 5 will be 158 gr MagSafe rounds. No over penetration.

With the newer ammo a .380ACP is perfectly adequate.

I'd still feel better with a larger caliber but you cant beat how compact they can be.
Hitting a 4 in. plate at 50 ft is easy,I was shocked to say the least.

F5763FCA-44D5-49DA-BB7A-EAFFF394B71F.jpeg

I'd still feel better with a larger caliber but you cant beat how compact they can be.
Hitting a 4 in. plate at 50 ft is easy,I was shocked to say the least.

View attachment 559166

Having grown up reading Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan and Col. Jeff Cooper, I thought .380s were underpowered too. And, at the time, they were. But the ammo companies listened and have provided better ammo. Not my personal choice, but still a good one.

Forum List

Back