Where do you buy your meat products?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
-Cp has made me a believer of sorts. www.dougsqualitymeats.com - Doug is a semi-local butcher...and wow. At most gatherings, nobody can get enough of Doug's meat. Frankly, Doug's meat is sensational. I cannot imagine sticking ANYTHING but Doug's meat on my grill. Yes, I can use super-market meat from time to time, but when I want the best, Doug's meat it is. In fact, my wife was commenting on how juicy and tastey Doug's meat is. She's often noted she's never had better meat than Doug's. I think I may have some photos of Doug's meat at home. If anyone would like to see Doug's meat, let me know. Doug provides meat for my entire family now...thanks to a 'Family Pack' purchased last month.

:)

So - I'm telling you...find a GOOD butcher near you...and frequent him/her. Often the price of meat is higher, but it's sort of like a 'you get what you pay for' deal.

Thoughts?

dmp said:
-Cp has made me a believer of sorts. www.dougsqualitymeats.com - Doug is a semi-local butcher...and wow. At most gatherings, nobody can get enough of Doug's meat. Frankly, Doug's meat is sensational. I cannot imagine sticking ANYTHING but Doug's meat on my grill. Yes, I can use super-market meat from time to time, but when I want the best, Doug's meat it is. In fact, my wife was commenting on how juicy and tastey Doug's meat is. She's often noted she's never had better meat than Doug's. I think I may have some photos of Doug's meat at home. If anyone would like to see Doug's meat, let me know. Doug provides meat for my entire family now...thanks to a 'Family Pack' purchased last month.

So - I'm telling you...find a GOOD butcher near you...and frequent him/her. Often the price of meat is higher, but it's sort of like a 'you get what you pay for' deal.

Thoughts?

super markets get the second cut...after the restaurants...however it is difficult in some areas to find a "Local Butcher"...!

side note: anyone know of a good sea food outlet..that can ship Halibut....it is really hard to get a good Halibut steak at the supermarket...the restaurants get the best of the cuts! I miss a good halibut steak!

archangel said:
Super markets get the second cut, after the restaurants. In some areas it can be difficult to find a Local Butcher.

Indeed - twood seem if your area doesnt HAVE a butcher, one could open a butchery. :)

Heh... dmp. :)

I really don't think the prices of Doug's meat is far more expensive than most other places - namely when you buy it in the freezer packs..

Check out the prices of Tacoma Boyz, Larrys Market or even Top Foods and you'll see he's competitive - even on his fresh meats..

Butchers will - almost always - have better meat than the big stores. Why? Because they care - that's why... If they screw up their outta business... if Safeway screws up - well they have $millions of dollars in revenue to depend on in the form of other groceries to sell.. .

dmp said:
Indeed - twood seem if your area doesnt HAVE a butcher, one could open a butchery. :)

I'm not a butcher though by trade..they are unparralled...but I will think about it..as N/Nevada is landlocked...I am speaking about the sea food issue!

archangel said:
super markets get the second cut...after the restaurants...however it is difficult in some areas to find a "Local Butcher"...!

side note: anyone know of a good sea food outlet..that can ship Halibut....it is really hard to get a good Halibut steak at the supermarket...the restaurants get the best of the cuts! I miss a good halibut steak!
http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/seafood-gifts/halibut.htm
fresh frozen

This looks like 'fresh'-I didn't check the shipping prices though-that's where the cost really is:

http://www.alwaysfreshfish.com/fresh_halibut.html

Hope that helps!

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
-Cp said:
Heh... dmp. :)

I really don't think the prices of Doug's meat is far more expensive than most other places - namely when you buy it in the freezer packs..

I didn't mean to insinuate doug's prices are FAR more expensive - just stating, pound for pound, prices at a butcher shop are 'more expensive'. :)

archangel said:
I'm not a butcher though by trade; they are unparralled. I will think about it, however,as N/Nevada is landlocked. I am speaking about the sea food issue!

What sea food issue? Or do you mean 'seafood in general' being hard to get near you.

Open a seafood shop. :)

dmp said:

Thoughts?

I go to a mix of places. I think I mentioned that I like to see the beef ground-supermarkets do their grinding in the back, so I only buy at butchers. Same with stew meat and pot roasts-they're so much better at the butcher.

If I'm buying steaks, I only like filets, I go to Sam's and buy the 'huge' pack and then wrap individually for freezing. However, my dad also will buy filets from Omaha Steak.

If I'm running late and need to get chicken for dinner, I'll buy it at the supermarket-skinless, boneless breasts is as exotic as I'll go there.

gop_jeff said:
Word. I'll have to try them.

Fyi.. Jeff.. we've gone to Stewart's out in McKenna - they're not too bad, but Doug blows em' away...

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
archangel said:

Supermarkets typically use select grade or no roll with little or no age , it is not that they "get the second cut" they just choose to use those grades because of price point.

MtnBiker said:
Supermarkets typically use select grade or no roll with little or no age , it is not that they "get the second cut" they just choose to use those grades because of price point.

Yep, we have a choice between 'select' or 'choice', how redundant...

Still the 'choice' is not as good as what I find at Omaha or Sam's, butcher is better with 'cheaper' cuts...

3 top USDA grades:
primeshield.gif

prime.JPG

choiceshield.gif

choice.JPG

selectshield.gif

select.JPG

other factors would include maturity of the animal, geographical location of the herd, breed, aging and proper handling after slaughter.

-Cp said:
Fyi.. Jeff.. we've gone to Stewart's out in McKenna - they're not too bad, but Doug blows em' away...

Angela goes to this place on Canyon, which has some good steaks, but next time she's looking to buy more meat, I'll tell her about it.

gop_jeff said:
Angela goes to this place on Canyon, which has some good steaks, but next time she's looking to buy more meat, I'll tell her about it.

What's the name of that place on Canyon?

Forum List

Back