CDZ Where Do Guns Used In Crimes Come From?

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
It's a simple question. Where do guns used in crimes come from? westwall mentioned in another thread

The reality is that gun laws only keep guns out of the hands of the law abiding. Period end of story. Mexico has some of the harshest laws in the world and every drug thug has a machinegun. Clearly they don't work. So, what does? Putting violent criminals behind bars forever. In Chicago they have 150,000 KNOWN gangbangers. There is a fairly small percentage of those (around 10%) that are incredibly violent. the KNOW who these guys are, and they continuously let them out to prey on their victims.

Let's do one thing that we know works. If you murder someone you go to jail FOREVER.

So we need to discuss the issue.

there are a lot floating around out there. we need to be doing more buy-back programs

Gun stork?

Mommy and Daddy guns?

What's the point of this topic? They come from gun manufacturing companies

It's a simple question. Where do guns used in crimes come from? westwall mentioned in another thread

The reality is that gun laws only keep guns out of the hands of the law abiding. Period end of story. Mexico has some of the harshest laws in the world and every drug thug has a machinegun. Clearly they don't work. So, what does? Putting violent criminals behind bars forever. In Chicago they have 150,000 KNOWN gangbangers. There is a fairly small percentage of those (around 10%) that are incredibly violent. the KNOW who these guys are, and they continuously let them out to prey on their victims.

Let's do one thing that we know works. If you murder someone you go to jail FOREVER.

So we need to discuss the issue.
I recently started watching a series on TV that had an episode discussing this. It's called Black Market with Michael K. Williams. It airs on Viceland. Here's a link to the youtube version:
It really is quite interesting.

theft, straw purchases, illegal purchases.

theft: Who do they steal them from? Legitimate gun owners?

straw purchase: Absolutely. Can laws be amended to preclude back room gun deals, internet sales, etc?

illegal purchases: See above. How else can we eliminate illegal purchases?

straw purchase: Absolutely. Can laws be amended to preclude back room gun deals, internet sales, etc?

Here's how I see it:
  1. There is NO WAY to stop ALL illegal gun sales.
  2. Criminals will always have guns.
  3. Police cannot be everywhere all the time.
  4. The ONLY sane answer is to make it easier for law abiding citizens to defend themselves.
Am I missing anything?

Here's how I see it:
  4. The ONLY sane answer is to make it easier for law abiding citizens to defend themselves.
Am I missing anything?

1. It will take years, maybe decades, but it will happen. After the assault weapon ban, murders by assault weapons fell dramatically.

2. Where do they get those guns?

3, That is a sad fact of life.

4. It's not working now, is it?

I know! We can make them Illegal!

Ok. How?

What if we passed a law? That's just off the top of my head

there are a lot floating around out there. we need to be doing more buy-back programs

Indeed

thousands of criminals are waiting for a local buy back program to get rid of their illegal firearms.
It's not all about the criminals. a legitimate gun owner may take advantage - someone that might otherwise have sold the gun to someone less reputable.

and yes, even criminals may take advantage. the point is if we can lower the number and availability of guns in problem areas qe can lower gun crime

Here's how I see it:
Am I missing anything?

1. It will take years, maybe decades, but it will happen. After the assault weapon ban, murders by assault weapons fell dramatically.

2. Where do they get those guns?

3, That is a sad fact of life.

4. It's not working now, is it?

After the assault weapon ban, murders by assault weapons fell dramatically.

How far did murders by assault weapons fall after the ban started?

I would be more than happy to enter into a rational discussion re: firearms and the laws restricting them...

WESTWALL's post is spot on. Most all Firearms start out as legal weapons.

Where do "guns" used in crimes come from? Theft, straw buyers, corrupt licensed dealers are the primary places that criminals purchase their weapons.

The need for more laws re: firearms is a non starter in my world. Strict and harsh punishment for violators of just laws is absolutely mandatory. No one can come up with the exact number of firearm and firearm related laws in the U.S.

How many gun laws are there in U.S.? Ask USA TODAY

Indeed

thousands of criminals are waiting for a local buy back program to get rid of their illegal firearms.
It's not all about the criminals. a legitimate gun owner may take advantage - someone that might otherwise have sold the gun to someone less reputable.

and yes, even criminals may take advantage. the point is if we can lower the number and availability of guns in problem areas qe can lower gun crime

You missed the sarcasm.

Legitimate firearm owners turn in firearms they no longer want around the house.

Criminals, rarely turn them in

Try to buy a gun on the internet and see what happens and how that goes. Educate yourself.

Indeed

You missed the sarcasm.

Legitimate firearm owners turn in firearms they no longer want around the house.

Criminals, rarely turn them in
and that's ok. it still reduces the number of guns in problem areas

Forum List

Back