When will we put LGBTQ issues behind us.?

Depends on the State and the basis of their offense.

Well, no. They no longer have the right to disagree. A gay caterer, by law, must service a straight pride event. They can't discriminate against the event organizers because of their sexual orientation.

It's stupid that the state can force you to engage in trade with someone you don't want to.
Commerce is the state government's business? Why?
Intrastate commerce is a power retained by the State. Thus, its their business if they decide it is and it doesn't violate rights. See Article 1, Section 8 Clause 3....along with the 10th amendment. Its perfectly constitutional.

As long as no fraud or violence has occurred, and as long as the state gets it's extortion money, er, I mean taxes, why should LGBTQ issues by any concern of the state?

Because they decide it is.

Let's hope they don't decide it's double-plus good to crucify all redheads. Because I guess if they decided to do so, that law would be just too.

The rights that are protected by a State aren't limited to federally protected rights. Many States can and do have far more extensive protections for people than the federal government recognizes. And that's totally within the power of a People of a State to do.

Federal Protections establish the baseline minimum of rights. Not the maximum. And if the people of State decide that you have a right to be free from discrimination based on sexual orientation when conducting acts of commerce, they have every authority to protect that right.

The only thing that could practically trump them would be federal amendment......or a violation of federal rights. Neither of which are an issue with PA laws.

The government should, you know...govern. Not involve itself in the peaceful, private interactions of people. And it certainly shouldn't conscript the bodies of people and force them to perform acts to which they are opposed.

As long as people aren't defrauding, threatening, or harming others, they should be free to do what they want.

That's bullshit. People need to be protected from discrimination.

Discrimination doesn't harm anyone's person or property. How can it be a crime?

It can certainly be a civil infraction. It can cause financial harm, prevent access to necessary goods and services, cause emotional harm, and be wildly exploitative.

In areas of commerce, a State can set minimum standards of conduct for those who wish to conduct business in their State. And frequently do.

That you don't think they 'should' is again immaterial. As within the bounds of the constitution and individual rights, the People of the States have vast powers. Which most definitely includes authority over intra state commerce.

Causing financial harm? Prevent access to necessary goods and services? Cause emotion harm? Be wildly exploitative?

I think you made these up.

Trespassing against a person or their property (or threatening to do so) are the only legitimate crimes. Punishing anything else is just a violation of rights.

Well, I feel that here in America, we are all to be treated equally, and that is an important part of being an American. It shouldn't be of any consequence to a store owner whether or not a person is gay, or black or whatever. They are still human beings and should be treated as such. I don't think a business owner should be allowed to refuse to serve people based on their sexual orientation, the color of their skin and other silly reasons. I have no problem with public accommodation laws. If you want to open up a business, you have to follow the rules and regulations put forth by your respective state.

Well, I feel that here in America, we are all to be treated equally, and that is an important part of being an American. It shouldn't be of any consequence to a store owner whether or not a person is gay, or black or whatever. They are still human beings and should be treated as such. I don't think a business owner should be allowed to refuse to serve people based on their sexual orientation, the color of their skin and other silly reasons. I have no problem with public accommodation laws. If you want to open up a business, you have to follow the rules and regulations put forth by your respective state.

To me, that's pretty fucked up. The whole idea of equal rights is based on equal treatment by government. The idea that everyone else has to treat you equally is a completely different prospect, and basically obliterates personal preference and freedom of choice.

To me, that's pretty fucked up. The whole idea of equal rights is based on equal treatment by government. The idea that everyone else has to treat you equally is a completely different prospect, and basically obliterates personal preference and freedom of choice.

Then don't open a public accommodation business.

You are entitled to be an ignorant ass in your personal life still.

Then don't open a public accommodation business.

Because why? Because a 'public accommodation business' is own by the ubiquitous state?

My work is as personal as it gets. What you want is state authority over freedom of association. Fuck you and your fascist friends.

My work is as personal as it gets. What you want is state authority over freedom of association. Fuck you and your fascist friends.

Too bad. If you cannot follow the laws, then you have no business being in "business." Ignorant doofus.

Well, if you have to sell a cake to a homosexual couple for a same-sex wedding, it doesn't have to be the best cake you can make. I can see how creative food preparation might be used to make the cake less than tasty.

And then the homosexuals might learn that forcing people to do something against their will is not the best way to go.

I'm not suggesting poisoning a cake, just putting in too much salt, that ought to do it.

Can the government punish you for making a salty wedding cake?

Your rights end when you violate someone else's INDIVIDUAL rights to be treated as a human being.
So you're pro-life? Good for you!!!

I'm pro choice of course. Again, if you stopped worrying about everyone else's private lives, you wouldn't have so many issues and problems. Conduct your business like a professional and stop acting like a nosy old woman.

Your rights end when you violate someone else's INDIVIDUAL rights to be treated as a human being.

There's no right to be 'treated'. Period. Ultimately, there's only the right to be left alone. We all have the right to not be fucked with by bullies. But none of us has the right to demand service from others in the name of 'equality'.

There's no right to be 'treated'. Period. Ultimately, there's only the right to be left alone. We all have the right to not be fucked with by bullies. But none of us has the right to demand service from others in the name of 'equality'.

You're the bully, sticking your nose into other people's private lives. Mind your business! What in the hell do you care if two gay people you don't know want to get married and have a cake? What's wrong with you? Not enough going on in your own life?

We are fresh off of a victory in Georgia where the governor vetoed a homophobic and quite frankly stupid bill that targeted LGBT people in the name of ”religious liberty” He caved to pressure from local businesses while never acknowledging the true intent of the bill.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/religious-liberty-bill-could-get-surprise-vote-wed/nqmkF/

However, the anti-equality forces are still hard at work in the south and elsewhere. They are spending countless hours and millions of dollars that could be spent on addressing the real- instead of imagined problems facing the nation. Cases in point:

North Carolina:

http://www.hrc.org/blog/voices-of-north-carolina-the-transgender-community-speaks-out

This week, HRC is lifting up the voices of North Carolinians whose lives are affected by the dangerous and discriminatory bill (HB 2) that North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed into law last week.

The first of those stories is from Madeline Goss, an openly transgender woman from Raleigh and former HRC Board of Governors member. Last week, she testified about the harmful impact HB 2 would have on her life and the transgender community.

“I can't use the men's room. I won't go back to the men's room. It is unsafe for me there. People like me die in there," Goss said.

On March 23, Governor McCrory signed into law an outrageous and unprecedented anti-LGBT bill that eliminates existing municipal non-discrimination protections for LGBT people; prevents such provisions from being passed by cities in the future; and forces transgender students in public schools to use restrooms and other facilities inconsistent with their gender identity, putting 4.5 billion dollars in federal funding under Title IX at risk. Read more about how this bill puts federal funding at risk here.

And South Carolina:

http://www.hrc.org/blog/south-carolina-senate-committee-advances-anti-marriage-equality-bill

Last week, a handful of conservative state Senators in South Carolina voted to advance S.31, a bill calling on the US Congress to amend the United States Constitution to allow states to roll back marriage equality on a state by state basis, but ultimately the bill has little chance of passing this session.

S.31 was introduced last year by conservative Senator Larry Grooms, but the bill has been stuck in limbo in the Senate Judiciary Committee since last April. Finally, after months of skipping over the bill - a clear sign that committee members have no appetite for it - S.31 was amended and advanced with a vote of 17 to 3. HRC thanks the three Democrats on the committee, Senators Sabb, Bright-Matthews, and Hutto, for voting against this bill.

Seeking to undermine the historic marriage equality ruling last year by the Supreme Court of the United States ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, S.31 calls on Congress to host a constitutional convention to amend the Constitution of the United States to allow all states to determine their own definitions of marriage. If the Constitution were to be amended in this way, it would give states the ability to roll back marriage equality if they oppose it,, effectively stripping away years of progress and placing millions of same-sex marriages in jeopardy.

Where will it end? When can we get over it and move on to other things? To come together as a nation and, yes, make America Great by being a nation that is all inclusive and accepting of all people? When can we get past this religious and fear based bigotry and start treating our neighbors with the dignity that they deserve? When!!??

It will take many generations, and then it will never be behind us... Racism still live strong with us, and you wonder when will gay bashing end?

The same day racism and that would mean the day when Humanity is wiped off the face of this planet!

You're the bully, sticking your nose into other people's private lives. Mind your business! What in the hell do you care if two gay people you don't know want to get married and have a cake? What's wrong with you? Not enough going on in your own life?

I do mind my own business. And my business is none of yours. Or the government's. That's what you don't get.

You think equal rights will be advanced by empowering the state to dictate behavior. But that is the opposite of rights. The opposite of freedom.

One thing you probably never want to have behind you is an LGBDQ issue especially in a dark ally if you know what I mean. When are the sodomites going to stop whining about living in the greatest most tolerant Country on earth? You almost gotta laugh that the biggest issue for sodomites seems to be finding a wedding cake or the ladies room where some hairy guy can wear that new dress. The freaking sodomite bigots would even risk the mental health of young girls by forcing them to share their locker room and showers with a confused boy with an empty bra.It's insanity times ten.

Forum List

Back