When Newt mentioned going to the moon he was crazy, but when Obama mentioned goin to

When Newt mentioned going to the moon he was crazy, but when Obama mentioned goin to Mars he was applauded. What gives?

Because Obama was talking about exploring Mars for scientific purposes - like looking for evidence of water (a key ingredient for life as we know it). The end goal is to find a habitable planet. Exploration of planets like Mars, which was at one time a lot like our planet, is key to that goal.

Gingrich was talking about colonizing the Moon. I repeat, Gingrich was talking about colonizing the Moon. :lol::lol::lol: 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
It makes more sense to explore Mars. There's nothing on the moon worth the time and money.
Titanium On The Moon: Resources To Spark New Space Race? | HULIQ

Moon potential goldmine of natural resources

Moon potential goldmine of natural resources

You couldn't economically bring back to Earth anything mined on Mars.

Very true, Mars has a bigger gravity well than the moon. I personally would be looking at the satellites of Jupiter and Saturn for anything beyond the Asteroid belt. Mars is a funny problem. You would have to terraform it to make it usefull. And to do that you have to supply a magnetosphere.
Have you heard of the idea of making a gigantic magnetic iron rod that would be slammed through the spin pole? I mean really?
Wow. Any technology advanced enough to do that could create a magnetosphere artificially, I would think.

Now you are changing the subject. Your original assertion was that Obama and newt made similar statements but only newt was ridiculed.

That is simply not true.

I suspect you know it, so get off your high horse.
Yes. Because one statement about an ambitious space project is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from another statement about an ambition space project.

You realize you're doing nothing but proving my original point, right?

Yes it is. The crazy aspect of Newt's statement was "colonization". Most Americans support space exploration. Exploration is not the same thing as colonization.
:lol: What better way to explore an area than to live there?

Face it: You don't like the idea simply because Gingrich supports it.
You guys are so desperate to start yet another "Waaaaa Waaaaaaa liberal media" that it either went over you head or you are being intentionally obtuse.
I believe Grampa was talking about individual liberals, not the media.

And this thread shows he's right.

When Newt mentioned going to the moon he was crazy, but when Obama mentioned goin to Mars he was applauded. What gives?

Because Obama was talking about exploring Mars for scientific purposes - like looking for evidence of water (a key ingredient for life as we know it). The end goal is to find a habitable planet. Exploration of planets like Mars, which was at one time a lot like our planet, is key to that goal.

Gingrich was talking about colonizing the Moon. I repeat, Gingrich was talking about colonizing the Moon. :lol::lol::lol: 'Nuff said.
What idiot says the moon isn't habitable? :confused:

Yes. Because one statement about an ambitious space project is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from another statement about an ambition space project.

You realize you're doing nothing but proving my original point, right?

Yes it is. The crazy aspect of Newt's statement was "colonization". Most Americans support space exploration. Exploration is not the same thing as colonization.
:lol: What better way to explore an area than to live there?

Face it: You don't like the idea simply because Gingrich supports it.
You guys are so desperate to start yet another "Waaaaa Waaaaaaa liberal media" that it either went over you head or you are being intentionally obtuse.
I believe Grampa was talking about individual liberals, not the media.

And this thread shows he's right.

You sir are correct. I never even thought of the media. I was talking about people on here.

And it wasn't a crying thread, its a mockery thread. I believe BOTH projects have merit.

:eek: What? You cannot be serious. Habitable in this context means that there are natural resources that can sustain life - water, oxygen, etc. Now that you know this, would still like to proclaim the Moon habitable?

:eek: What? You cannot be serious. Habitable in this context means that there are natural resources that can sustain life - water, oxygen, etc. Now that you know this, would still like to proclaim the Moon habitable?

Yes, just as habitable as the ISS

Duh

Yes, just as habitable as the ISS

Duh

I'm not talking man-made habitats. Scientists interested in Mars are looking for clues that the planet was once capable of sustaining life with natural elements.

:lol: They sure are twisting in knots to make both statements seem similar. Didnt Newt say we could colonize the moon in 8 years?!!? Fucking stupid

:lol: They sure are twisting in knots to make both statements seem similar. Didnt Newt say we could colonize the moon in 8 years?!!? Fucking stupid

Your scientific ignorance is showing.

Colonization does not mean walking around in shorts building houses.

NASA already has colony and mining plans drawn up. Try researching the matter so you don't seem quite so stupid with your comments.

NASA already has colony and mining plans drawn up. Try researching the matter so you don't seem quite so stupid with your comments.

Says the guy who JUST googled it himself. Poser.

181 Things to do on the Moon - NASA Science

Science accounts for only about a third of the 181 objectives, however. More than half of the list deals with the many challenges of learning to live on an alien world: everything from keeping astronauts safe from radiation and micrometeors to setting up power and communications systems to growing food in the airless, arid lunar environment.

"We want to learn how to live off the land and not depend so much on supplies from Earth," says Tony Lavoie, leader of NASA's Lunar Architecture Team (Phase 1) at the Marshall Space Flight Center.

Right: Two astronauts go prospecting with a robotic sidekick. [More ]

Astronauts would face the same problems on a manned mission to Mars, so much of the experience gained on the moon would carry over when NASA eventually sends people to the Red Planet.

The moon could also provide some creative commercial opportunities: lunar power from solar cells, protected data archives, mining of lunar metals, and research under conditions of low gravity and high vacuum, to name a few. In fact, mining the moon may eventually yield rocket propellant that could be sold to commercial satellite operators to access and service their satellite assets in Earth orbit.

And the above clip was from 5 years ago.

Says the guy who JUST googled it himself. Poser.

I've read science magazines since I was a teenager. Watched programs for decades. Didn't need to Google anything except to prove it to those with their heads up some democrats ass.

Yeah. Thought so.

Sometimes...........it is just too easy.

Yes, displaying ignorance is very easy. You've proved that with your last 2 posts.

All things space and politics are equally interesting to me and have been for decades. You, I suppose may not know much about space and the only way to win an unwinnable argument on the subject is to try to bring others down to your scientific level of knowledge.

I watch the shit on science and discovery channels all the time. Have for years. Have seti research from home project running on my computer since the program started. Have read magazines since I was a teen.

What's your breadth of knowledge? Obama said so he's right, Newt said so he's wrong?

Your an easily duped fool.

Gramps......I don't care about all that. You have done an internet search for moon/space information during your participation in this thread.

I am only bringing you down from atop that huge pile of bullshit that you constantly maintain here.

Mars he was applauded. What gives?

Matt-McInnesKSspace3.jpg

I'm not sure whether NASA will have the time or funds to go anywhere other than the inner space of the Muslim Middle East. That is their Obama-appointed mission now that they are no longer exploring outer space.
NASA's Muslim outreach: Al Jazeera told first | The Examiner | Politics | San Francisco Examiner

Forum List

Back