When I first truly realized that God exists.......

This happened in, of all places, in an English class I was taking in the fall/winter semester of 1980. It was an interesting class, and the professor was quite good. We read famous plays from a textbook designed for the class, then we wrote essays on each play. I was doing pretty well in the class, I had a solid B average going into the semester final. Well, the final was on Romeo and Juliet, and you had to write an essay on that play. And you were allowed to use the textbook or any notes you may have made to help with your essay. Well, we had known for a week what the final would be on, and I had come up with absolutely NO ideas for the essay. The good thing about the final is that we were allowed to use the whole 50-55 minutes of the class to write our essay. After staring at the textbook, my notes, and passages highlighted in yellow, for about 10 minutes, I STILL had no idea what I was going to write. I made an earnest prayer to God, asking for help. Moments after praying, and I'm NOT making this up, an electric current seemed to go through my body, and a CHANDELIER of light bulbs went off in my head! I looked at my highlighted passages, and suddenly I had an idea for my essay. It wasn't a GREAT idea, but it was an idea, nonetheless. I got a C+ for the essay. Our professor offered us something quite original, something I had never heard of before then, and never heard again in my later college classes. He offered us the choice of meeting with him, I believe later that day, and discuss how we could make our essays better, and get a higher grade. I, of course, took his offer, and he generously suggested HOW I could make my essay better. I re-wrote it and he upped my grade to B+. So, in parting, I KNOW some of the atheists that post on here will sneer at and debunk my experience. But that's OK, I don't take these people seriously anyway. There's my strange, wonderful, and TRUE story of how I first truly realized that God exists.
I am an atheist and I have gotten C+ without God’s help
It wasn't the grade, it was the LIGHT. ;)
You bet! And what a light it was.

I've seen souls rise in the mist of a battlefield

Then you should probably be on medication

You're in for a BIG SURPRISE fool.....the Old Testament said if you heard the Word and denied it you didn't get another chance. Good luck in Hell....not that there is any good luck in Hell....just eternal torment. Cheers!
Oh no!

A magical threat!

I haven't been this scared since i stole that little feller's lucky charms...
What kinda POS steals lucky charms? You need double-kicked in your ass!

You're in for a BIG SURPRISE fool.....the Old Testament said if you heard the Word and denied it you didn't get another chance. Good luck in Hell....not that there is any good luck in Hell....just eternal torment. Cheers!
Oh no!

A magical threat!

Well, Duke, Fort Fun IS more than just a bit dim. Exceedingly dim, I'm afraid, and beyond ANY help or hope. I truly believe his lack of faith in God AND his raging, uncontrollable TDS has turned his brain into a quivering mass of gelatin. Very sad, but QUITE preventable.

Oh no!

A magical threat!

Well, Duke, Fort Fun IS more than just a bit dim. Exceedingly dim, I'm afraid, and beyond ANY help or hope. I truly believe his lack of faith in God AND his raging, uncontrollable TDS has turned his brain into a quivering mass of gelatin. Very sad, but QUITE preventable.
That TDS is real, and takes over thinking people's brains.

Oh no!

A magical threat!

Gee, ANOTHER dumbass non-believing atheist heathen chimes in! AND this dumbass is unfortunately from the wonderful RED state I live in, Indiana. He's a total embarrassment to the fantastic state. Just dreadful.
For a reborn religious nutball, you sure are an insulting, thin skinned little prick. That's not a good combo.

So how does a person with a 147 IQ have the vocabulary of a 9 year old?

Oh no!

A magical threat!

Well, you better start praying.

Who or what is The Holy Ghost?

Modern translations read "Holy Spirit." The Hebrew and Greek words for spirit are ruach & pneuma respectively. The basic definition is "invisible active force." One example is the wind in some Bible translations - the wind is invisible and exerts force.

God's spirit is another matter of course. For example, what was God's spirit doing in Genesis:1:2?

Most forces, like Covid causing pneumonia (From Greek pneuma/breath), have no personality - and in the case of Covid is invisible to the naked eye but is not actually invisible. But breath is invisible, and Covid does literally take breath away.

God's spirit does not have a personality of its own but does carry God's personality since it is God's spirit. To illustrate:

You may watch a TV program showing President Trump and hearing his actual words - we may see facets of his emotions both in his facial appearance and the tone of his voice (etc.).

But we are not actually viewing Trump! We are viewing a TV which receives this by means of various invisible active forces - e.g. electrictiy, microwaves, radio waves such as via Satellite or cable or from the actual invisible waves in the air.

God's spirit has God's personality but is not a separate person from God. Some trinitarians correctly view God's spirit as God's power - other beliefs are contrary to what the Bible teaches.

Bottom line - God's spirit is far more complex and carries wisdom far beyond any use of invisible active forces by man. Please excuse the crude illustration.

Oh no!

A magical threat!

Gee, ANOTHER dumbass non-believing atheist heathen chimes in! AND this dumbass is unfortunately from the wonderful RED state I live in, Indiana. He's a total embarrassment to the fantastic state. Just dreadful.
from the wonderful RED state I live in, Indiana.
now we know why you got a c+ ... not everyone would be that merciful - indiana.

ever heard of - crown point ... had a doughnut bakery, most those cities in indiana do after that crown point had as much character as a brick wall.

Oh no!

A magical threat!

ever heard of - crown point ... had a doughnut bakery, most those cities in indiana do after that crown point had as much character as a brick wall.
I've certainly HEARD of Crown Point, but I've never been there. And the town I live in, Valparaiso, has a lot of character all its own, AND it's incredibly safe here. I don't feel unsafe anywhere in town. It helps that the town has been led by conservative mayors for quite some time. VERY little riffraff here, and virtually NO illegal aliens that I know of. It's just a very pleasant place to live.

You got a C+? Man! God was very generous with you.

If I was there, I should have to be fasting for 3 days to get a C.

I was expecting something like bullies in your school were behind you running to hit you and you prayed to God and a strong wind pushed them against the wall or something similar...

Oh no!

A magical threat!

Haha true

Don’t let them get to you. They don’t understand revelation because they would prefer to live in darkness.

“To those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, it is clear that the Father and the Son are giving away the secrets of the universe!” Neal A Maxwell

Don’t let them get to you. They don’t understand revelation because they would prefer to live in darkness.

“To those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, it is clear that the Father and the Son are giving away the secrets of the universe!” Neal A Maxwell
Hey Avatar4321, how great to see you here. I have actually been thinking of you the past few weeks wondering how you have been doing. You were a frequent and intelligent poster with a kind heart and I am sure you are still, a wonderful person. :)

This happened in, of all places, in an English class I was taking in the fall/winter semester of 1980. It was an interesting class, and the professor was quite good. We read famous plays from a textbook designed for the class, then we wrote essays on each play. I was doing pretty well in the class, I had a solid B average going into the semester final. Well, the final was on Romeo and Juliet, and you had to write an essay on that play. And you were allowed to use the textbook or any notes you may have made to help with your essay. Well, we had known for a week what the final would be on, and I had come up with absolutely NO ideas for the essay. The good thing about the final is that we were allowed to use the whole 50-55 minutes of the class to write our essay. After staring at the textbook, my notes, and passages highlighted in yellow, for about 10 minutes, I STILL had no idea what I was going to write. I made an earnest prayer to God, asking for help. Moments after praying, and I'm NOT making this up, an electric current seemed to go through my body, and a CHANDELIER of light bulbs went off in my head! I looked at my highlighted passages, and suddenly I had an idea for my essay. It wasn't a GREAT idea, but it was an idea, nonetheless. I got a C+ for the essay. Our professor offered us something quite original, something I had never heard of before then, and never heard again in my later college classes. He offered us the choice of meeting with him, I believe later that day, and discuss how we could make our essays better, and get a higher grade. I, of course, took his offer, and he generously suggested HOW I could make my essay better. I re-wrote it and he upped my grade to B+. So, in parting, I KNOW some of the atheists that post on here will sneer at and debunk my experience. But that's OK, I don't take these people seriously anyway. There's my strange, wonderful, and TRUE story of how I first truly realized that God exists.
You're gifted, rw, you're gifted. At least THAT'S what your parents told you. Your teachers? Not so much.......
Lol, that was pretty funny, bluz. There is something about rw that can be humourous and I posted once he was my favorite liberal. I forgot that Toro actually is which puts my rw in 2nd place but hey! still a medal. ;) Toro earns the GOLD in my heart because on two or more occasions he had my back when he didn't have to. I am very loyal to him for not only doing that but for going against his liberal base here in spite of them. lol Have to admire him forever. He is a friend. :thup:

You're gifted, rw, you're gifted. At least THAT'S what your parents told you. Your teachers? Not so much.......
Lol, that was pretty funny, bluz. There is something about rw that can be humourous and I posted once he was my favorite liberal. I forgot that Toro actually is which puts my rw in 2nd place but hey! still a medal. ;) Toro earns the GOLD in my heart because on two or more occasions he had my back when he didn't have to. I am very loyal to him for not only doing that but for going against his liberal base here in spite of them. lol Have to admire him forever. He is a friend. :thup:
I like Toro AND rw, as well. I truly believe rw posts his crap JUST to get others worked up. His posts on political threads are always SO bad and SO off the mark, they're actually quite funny. I really think he does this on purpose. And I don't think he's as dumb as he appears to be on the political threads because he's posted some intelligent and insightful replies on sports threads.

Forum List

Back