When I first truly realized that God exists.......

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
This happened in, of all places, in an English class I was taking in the fall/winter semester of 1980. It was an interesting class, and the professor was quite good. We read famous plays from a textbook designed for the class, then we wrote essays on each play. I was doing pretty well in the class, I had a solid B average going into the semester final. Well, the final was on Romeo and Juliet, and you had to write an essay on that play. And you were allowed to use the textbook or any notes you may have made to help with your essay. Well, we had known for a week what the final would be on, and I had come up with absolutely NO ideas for the essay. The good thing about the final is that we were allowed to use the whole 50-55 minutes of the class to write our essay. After staring at the textbook, my notes, and passages highlighted in yellow, for about 10 minutes, I STILL had no idea what I was going to write. I made an earnest prayer to God, asking for help. Moments after praying, and I'm NOT making this up, an electric current seemed to go through my body, and a CHANDELIER of light bulbs went off in my head! I looked at my highlighted passages, and suddenly I had an idea for my essay. It wasn't a GREAT idea, but it was an idea, nonetheless. I got a C+ for the essay. Our professor offered us something quite original, something I had never heard of before then, and never heard again in my later college classes. He offered us the choice of meeting with him, I believe later that day, and discuss how we could make our essays better, and get a higher grade. I, of course, took his offer, and he generously suggested HOW I could make my essay better. I re-wrote it and he upped my grade to B+. So, in parting, I KNOW some of the atheists that post on here will sneer at and debunk my experience. But that's OK, I don't take these people seriously anyway. There's my strange, wonderful, and TRUE story of how I first truly realized that God exists.

This happened in, of all places, in an English class I was taking in the fall/winter semester of 1980. It was an interesting class, and the professor was quite good. We read famous plays from a textbook designed for the class, then we wrote essays on each play. I was doing pretty well in the class, I had a solid B average going into the semester final. Well, the final was on Romeo and Juliet, and you had to write an essay on that play. And you were allowed to use the textbook or any notes you may have made to help with your essay. Well, we had known for a week what the final would be on, and I had come up with absolutely NO ideas for the essay. The good thing about the final is that we were allowed to use the whole 50-55 minutes of the class to write our essay. After staring at the textbook, my notes, and passages highlighted in yellow, for about 10 minutes, I STILL had no idea what I was going to write. I made an earnest prayer to God, asking for help. Moments after praying, and I'm NOT making this up, an electric current seemed to go through my body, and a CHANDELIER of light bulbs went off in my head! I looked at my highlighted passages, and suddenly I had an idea for my essay. It wasn't a GREAT idea, but it was an idea, nonetheless. I got a C+ for the essay. Our professor offered us something quite original, something I had never heard of before then, and never heard again in my later college classes. He offered us the choice of meeting with him, I believe later that day, and discuss how we could make our essays better, and get a higher grade. I, of course, took his offer, and he generously suggested HOW I could make my essay better. I re-wrote it and he upped my grade to B+. So, in parting, I KNOW some of the atheists that post on here will sneer at and debunk my experience. But that's OK, I don't take these people seriously anyway. There's my strange, wonderful, and TRUE story
of how I first truly realized that God exists.

I want to know what happened to Romeo and Juliet.

This happened in, of all places, in an English class I was taking in the fall/winter semester of 1980. It was an interesting class, and the professor was quite good. We read famous plays from a textbook designed for the class, then we wrote essays on each play. I was doing pretty well in the class, I had a solid B average going into the semester final. Well, the final was on Romeo and Juliet, and you had to write an essay on that play. And you were allowed to use the textbook or any notes you may have made to help with your essay. Well, we had known for a week what the final would be on, and I had come up with absolutely NO ideas for the essay. The good thing about the final is that we were allowed to use the whole 50-55 minutes of the class to write our essay. After staring at the textbook, my notes, and passages highlighted in yellow, for about 10 minutes, I STILL had no idea what I was going to write. I made an earnest prayer to God, asking for help. Moments after praying, and I'm NOT making this up, an electric current seemed to go through my body, and a CHANDELIER of light bulbs went off in my head! I looked at my highlighted passages, and suddenly I had an idea for my essay. It wasn't a GREAT idea, but it was an idea, nonetheless. I got a C+ for the essay. Our professor offered us something quite original, something I had never heard of before then, and never heard again in my later college classes. He offered us the choice of meeting with him, I believe later that day, and discuss how we could make our essays better, and get a higher grade. I, of course, took his offer, and he generously suggested HOW I could make my essay better. I re-wrote it and he upped my grade to B+. So, in parting, I KNOW some of the atheists that post on here will sneer at and debunk my experience. But that's OK, I don't take these people seriously anyway. There's my strange, wonderful, and TRUE story

He-he! They both killed themselves, of course. You COULD call it "mutual suicide".

This happened in, of all places, in an English class I was taking in the fall/winter semester of 1980. It was an interesting class, and the professor was quite good. We read famous plays from a textbook designed for the class, then we wrote essays on each play. I was doing pretty well in the class, I had a solid B average going into the semester final. Well, the final was on Romeo and Juliet, and you had to write an essay on that play. And you were allowed to use the textbook or any notes you may have made to help with your essay. Well, we had known for a week what the final would be on, and I had come up with absolutely NO ideas for the essay. The good thing about the final is that we were allowed to use the whole 50-55 minutes of the class to write our essay. After staring at the textbook, my notes, and passages highlighted in yellow, for about 10 minutes, I STILL had no idea what I was going to write. I made an earnest prayer to God, asking for help. Moments after praying, and I'm NOT making this up, an electric current seemed to go through my body, and a CHANDELIER of light bulbs went off in my head! I looked at my highlighted passages, and suddenly I had an idea for my essay. It wasn't a GREAT idea, but it was an idea, nonetheless. I got a C+ for the essay. Our professor offered us something quite original, something I had never heard of before then, and never heard again in my later college classes. He offered us the choice of meeting with him, I believe later that day, and discuss how we could make our essays better, and get a higher grade. I, of course, took his offer, and he generously suggested HOW I could make my essay better. I re-wrote it and he upped my grade to B+. So, in parting, I KNOW some of the atheists that post on here will sneer at and debunk my experience. But that's OK, I don't take these people seriously anyway. There's my strange, wonderful, and TRUE story of how I first truly realized that God exists.
I am an atheist and I have gotten C+ without God’s help

I am an atheist and I have gotten C+ without God’s help
You're gifted, rw, you're gifted. At least THAT'S what your parents told you. Your teachers? Not so much.......

Dunno ? I DO know Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch two pails of water. Jack came down, with 2 in arm and Jill had $100

I've managed to live through 72 years of very dangerous behavior (285 days in combat, motorcycle racing, street fights, messing around with married women, Detroit mobsters, etc) by never asking God for anything but to keep me safe from injury and disease. I've never asked Him for money, or success, or letting me get to an important place or date....I don't want to tick Him off by being needy or greedy. And if you deny His existence or worse, laugh at believers, don't be paying Him surprise visits like when you're in an ambulance on your way to an ER. Try to live inside His boundary lines, and don't forget to thank Him for your good fortune....that's every day you're above ground.

Last edited:
I've managed to live through 72 years of very dangerous behavior (285 days in combat, motorcycle racing, street fights, messing around with married women, Detroit mobsters, etc) by never asking God for anything but to keep me safe from injury and disease. I've never asked Him for money, or success, or letting me get to an important place or date....I don't want to tick Him off by being needy or greedy. And don't be paying Him surprise visits like when you're in an ambulance on your way to an ER. Try to live inside his boundary lines, and don't forget to thank him for your good fortune....that's every day you're above ground.
You bet! Thanks for your post, Will.

LOLOLOLOL GOD writing college essays now!!! Kids starving all over the planet, war, disease, evil doers being rewarded.... "I believe in God because my writer's block went away in ENGLISH CLASS!!!" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the laugh!

What young whippersnappers seem not to know is that until the very recent past, the existence of God was considered to be a fact proven by millions of examples (things and phenomena) in the natural world that are not explainable, except as the miraculous work of an infinitely-powerful, infinitely-intelligent being. "Evolution" was (and remains) a bit of mental masturbation that tries to throw a scientific blanket over the proofs of God's existence, and as a mental exercise it is entertaining, but the proofs remain manifest.

Unfortunately for religious folks (including myself) God does not often step in and change what will normally happen, even if doing so would bring out what we might think of as a "good" result. You see, the death of our natural body is not the end of our existence, or the end of our story. So if we are killed in an earthquake or by a nefarious human act, that is not God's fault, and no, He was not on a coffee break or paying attention to someone else. He just lets it happen, as part of the overall plan.

And I wouldn't put much stock in a God who couldn't even get me an A.

What young whippersnappers seem not to know is that until the very recent past, the existence of God was considered to be a fact proven by millions of examples (things and phenomena) in the natural world that are not explainable, except as the miraculous work of an infinitely-powerful, infinitely-intelligent being
Like how thunder and lightning were just god being angry!!! :lmao:

Fantastic thread! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Who or is that Holy Ghost?
of how I first truly realizedb that God exists.

Dunno ? I DO know Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch two pails of water. Jack came down, with 2 in arm and Jill had $100
Gambling is an addiction. A gamber's money has no home.

Last edited:
You couldn’t muster anything higher than a C+ on a Romeo and Juliet essay? You were allowed to use the textbook and notes for fuck’s sake. Tell me, did the other students in this class wear helmets and eat paste? :lol:

But he has a very high IQ.

Just ask him.

Good question. I believe it's the spirit of God that lives in ALL of us. And it's always there, and always receptive to your prayers.

Don't forget their is a Devil too...and he's never far away trying to temp you away from God's grace. I've seen souls rise in the mist of a battlefield so don't tell me there is nothing after your body is dead. I personally don't believe in Heaven which puts me at odds with Christians although I was raised Methodist. I asked for "Catholic" on my dog tags so if I wasn't dead, (I once got the dreaded "D" put on my forehead by a rookie medic with a magic marker) so they wouldn't zip me up in a body bag and suffocate me. I figured if they thought I was Catholic they'd have to wait until I got Last Rites and maybe I'd come to by then. So what is there instead of Heaven? I believe our souls drift around until there's a baby born without one and we join up with the kid and get another go-around. May sound crazy but that's what I think happens.

Forum List

Back