Zone1 When do you think slavery would have ended in the United States if we had no Civil War.

It would have ended on it's own for financial reasons.
The cotton gin replaced more slaves than than anything else. Cheaper and faster.
Slaves provided free labor, but they were expensive to buy and required rest and food and a staff to provide security for the land owners.
Mechanized equipment would have ended it eventually.

The cotton gin replaced more slaves than than anything else. Cheaper and faster.
Slaves provided free labor, but they were expensive to buy and required rest and food and a staff to provide security for the land owners.
The cotton gin created a need for more slaves
Prior to the invention of the cotton gin, slavery was on the decline

Hand picking the seeds out of cotton was not cost effective. Having a machine do it created a global market for low cost cotton with slaves doing most of the work.

The cotton gin exploded the economic cost multiplier in the southern cotton industry.

If we look at Brazil finally succumbing to LEGAL slavery in 1888, I'll use that as my answer......1888

Was it worth it to split this country and lose 600k of its citizens when slavery would have ended by law 20 yrs later??

And to create such an abysmal political welfare state (give them just enough crumbs to live by) and continuing legal slavery to this day even

Was it worth it folks looking at the horror if we waited 20 short yrs

Most people aren't educated to know the North Atlantic Slave Trade ended around 1810 and legal capture ended. So it wasn't like it was still going on our shores

Looking at the benefits the Slaves got from being slaves, they learned farming, they learned construction jobs, they learned cooking at the Mansions.
So it was not all bad.
Left wingers love saying the Slaves built the house Biden lives in now. So that means slaves came away with trades.

However the deck had been stacked to end slavery. It was featured by Abe who intended to export them to other countries that would have them.

I would time the end not too long after the Steam engine came around. Probably at no later than 1890.

If we look at Brazil finally succumbing to LEGAL slavery in 1888, I'll use that as my answer......1888

Was it worth it to split this country and lose 600k of its citizens when slavery would have ended by law 20 yrs later??

And to create such an abysmal political welfare state (give them just enough crumbs to live by) and continuing legal slavery to this day even

Was it worth it folks looking at the horror if we waited 20 short yrs

Most people aren't educated to know the North Atlantic Slave Trade ended around 1810 and legal capture ended. So it wasn't like it was still going on our shores

Distribution of Slaves in United States History
(United States Census Bureau)​

Census
Year
# Slaves# Free
blacks
Total
black
% free
blacks
Total US
population
% black
of total
1790697,68159,527757,2087.9%3,929,21419%
1800893,602108,4351,002,03710.8%5,308,48319%
18101,191,362186,4461,377,80813.5%7,239,88119%
18201,538,022233,6341,771,65613.2%9,638,45318%
18302,009,043319,5992,328,64213.7%12,860,70218%
18402,487,355386,2932,873,64813.4%17,063,35317%
18503,204,313434,4953,638,80811.9%23,191,87616%
18603,953,760488,0704,441,83011.0%31,443,32114%

You'll note after importation of African slaves was banned, number of black slaves went UP after the Atlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Factors such as breeding (forced or otherwise), and smuggling of slaves still occurred (all the way up to the slave ship Clotilda in 1859). South Carolina was the only state continued the importations after 1808). And inter-state slave trade still occurred.

If the Confederate States had their way, and considering the cost-effectiveness and benefits of having legalized slavery, I could see slavery continuing well into the 20th Century. The main pushback would be if other nations refused to trade or imposed sanctions on the CSA, and pressures from the League of Nations or the subsequent the United Nations.

Then there's the messy revised timeline on how a split United States affects the outcome of the World Wars.

But going back to the Civil War, let's be clear that there was already much bloodshed before the War and before Lincoln was elected President, from the westward expansion of slave vs .free states (see Kansas), to the bloodshed against slavery abolitionists (see Elijah Parish Lovejoy).

Pro-slavery forces had no problem murdering for their unjust and evil cause and no Confederacy revisionist history will undo or justify their "lost cause."

Last edited:
Looking at the benefits the Slaves got from being slaves, they learned farming, they learned construction jobs, they learned cooking at the Mansions.
So it was not all bad.
Left wingers love saying the Slaves built the house Biden lives in now. So that means slaves came away with trades.

However the deck had been stacked to end slavery. It was featured by Abe who intended to export them to other countries that would have them.

I would time the end not too long after the Steam engine came around. Probably at no later than 1890.
They knew about agriculture because they came from agricultural and live stock societies. They knew how to cook already. And how many were doing construction in their home countries.

DeSantis' argument does sound insane. Yes, AL preferred "return to Africa", which is good to know.

It is also good to know AL would not permit the Union to rendered apart then any more than the majority will today.

Educated people know that people have conquered other people since time.

Educated people know every land was invaded by someone in time.

Educated people know slavery was not born of racism, but simply stronger conquering the weaker

Educated people know that African slave gathering was relatively new in time context

Educated people know American Indians conquered other Indians....Africans enslaving other Africans....etc

So who can argue any of these statements?

Educated people know that enslaving a people-group for a long period of time, especially when that people-group is viewed as inferior, illiterate and uneducated (educating black slaves was discouraged), then the evil stigma of superiority and, thus, racism becomes the norm. And that should never be tolerated.

They knew about agriculture because they came from agricultural and live stock societies. They knew how to cook already. And how many were doing construction in their home countries.

DeSantis' argument does sound insane. Yes, AL preferred "return to Africa", which is good to know.

It is also good to know AL would not permit the Union to rendered apart then any more than the majority will today.
I know how to cook. But I suspect you would not pay to get a bit of my cooking. Slaves that knew how to cook came from Jamaica. Tell me of a mansion blacks built in Africa who then became a slave. DeSantis did not make the argument. 2 black scholars made the argument you speak of. Abe did it all the wrong way. Suppose Biden invades VA, is that right? Lincoln invaded states.

Robert W sounds as if he buys the insane DeSantis thesis.

The South did it the wrong was and was executed.

If Tx were to try to secede, Biden would have every right to order the armor units at Ft Hood to roll down to Austin and take back the government.

MPs would arrest the secessionists. Judge Nardotti of the JAG corps would be called out of retirement to try them.

Quit being silly.

Educated people know that enslaving a people-group for a long period of time, especially when that people-group is viewed as inferior, illiterate and uneducated (educating black slaves was discouraged), then the evil stigma of superiority and, thus, racism becomes the norm. And that should never be tolerated.
What did I learn when the Army drafted me when Kennedy was President? How to call a human SIR? To do every damned thing SIR told me to do? And to obey men called SGT? And work for the month for pennies on the dollar compared to my civilian earning power?

Good for you. You obviously needed discipline installed in you. The color of a man's skin did not add or detract from an officer being called sir.

Forum List

Back