What's With All The Conservative Russia and Putin Lovers On This Message Board?

Ah I see. But one or two people is not representative of the whole. I like the Russian culture myself and have enjoyed knowing all the Russian people I have known. When I headed a large agency in Kansas we had, among other programs, ballet lessons and were lucky enough to have a former member of the Russian Ballet as an instructor. She was a hoot as well as a very good instructor.

My first encounter with a Russian, at least that I know of, was in college when a high ranking Russian member of the Communist Party was a speaker at our university. (That was when higher education was open minded, promoted free speech, and we were encouraged to know about and think critically about as many different concepts of the human experience as possible.) As a journalism student and on the staff of the college newspaper, I was required to attend the speech which was well presented, defended the communist ideology, etc. but in a non belligerant way. And when I interviewed the guy after the speech, he was not only very nice looking, well spoken, but was congenial and pleasant.

I would add I'm pretty darn sure this attractive, impressive Russian did not persuade a single student that communism was a good thing. We were allowed to be immersed and consider critically all sociopolitical points of view back then. Nobody told us how to think or believe about anything but encouraged us to intelligently consider all the pros and cons of everything.

My problem is not with Russia or Russians. I despise all totalitarian governments that forcibly rule by suppressing what the people are allowed to be, do, say. Including our own.

Forum List

Back