What will the Talicrats gain by tearing down civil war monuments?

Catharsis. If they can't see the reminders of their slavery, Jim Crow laws, and anti-civil rights stance, the burden of guilt is off their shoulders.

It's all about the "feelz", mang.

It's a beginning. What they really want is the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence.

In the best case, attention to who put those monuments up, and why.

That being, the Lost Cause history revisionism, starring the United Daughters of the Confederacy and their fellow travellers, out to whitewash a sorry history by running around the country putting up statues, monuments and plaques in the most visible and official-looking places possible, as well as writing books and articles, producing movies and anything else they could come up with to rewrite that history into the collective culture.

You remember --- the same group that brought Thomas Dixon's "The Clansman" (1905), the revolutionary film made from it "Birth of a Nation" (1915), the resurrection of the Klan itself in response (1915), a surge in Jim Crow laws, a surge in lynchings, a surge in race riots --- and simultaneously it brought the statues and monuments being targeted (and, in some cases like the Liberty Place monument to a riot started by a white supremacist group of thugs, already removed by an embarrassed city). They are the propaganda devices of their time.

I call it The Golden Age of White Supremacy. That's when they date from, that's who put them there, and that's what they represent. The more awareness of that period of "lost" history --- the better.

That being, the Lost Cause history revisionism, starring the United Daughters of the Confederacy and their fellow travellers, out to whitewash a sorry history by running around the country putting up statues, monuments and plaques in the most visible and official-looking places possible, as well as writing books and articles, producing movies and anything else they could come up with to rewrite that history into the collective culture.

You remember --- the same group that brought Thomas Dixon's "The Clansman" (1905), the revolutionary film made from it "Birth of a Nation" (1915), the resurrection of the Klan itself in response (1915), a surge in Jim Crow laws, a surge in lynchings, a surge in race riots --- and simultaneously it brought the statues and monuments being targeted (and, in some cases like the Liberty Place monument to a riot started by a white supremacist group of thugs, already removed by an embarrassed city). They are the propaganda devices of their time.

I call it The Golden Age of White Supremacy. That's when they date from, that's who put them there, and that's what they represent. The more awareness of that period of "lost" history --- the better.

Billy_Kinetta thinks it "funny" to be aware of one's history.

Isn't that eloquent.

Isn't that eloquent.

I am quite well-versed in history, thank you.

It's you I think is funny.

Isn't that eloquent.

Yet it's the post that you mark as "funny" so apparently you're not as well-versed as you imagine.

But that's not funny either. That's just sad.

Progressives want to erase history they do not agree with, then rewrite it in a politically correct nature. Progressives are a bunch of fuck ups

It's a beginning. What they really want is the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence.
You tards are the ones going against the will of the people!

If the people elect to tear down a statue, then what the fuck right do a bunch of out of state far righters have to say about it?

I guess you are only against out of state interlopers when it suits you, eh, hypocrite?

Isn't that eloquent.

Yet it's the post that you mark as "funny" so apparently you're not as well-versed as you imagine.

Well versed enough to note that you omitted Democrat responsibility for the resurrection of the Klan, the surge in Jim Crow laws, the surge in lynchings and riots. What a funny guy you are.

They are doing the same thing today in the hope of burying that history that is their albatross.

Removing a sportscaster because his name is Robert Lee? Oy vey ...

Isn't that eloquent.

Well versed enough to note that you omitted Democrat responsibility for the resurrection of the Klan, the surge in Jim Crow laws, the surge in lynchings and riots. What a funny guy you are.
And what kind of Democrats were they, liar by omission?

What's that you say? Right wing Christians? Why, yes! Exactly.

Christian terrorists is what they were.

I guess you only want mass-murdering terrorists to be labeled by their religion only when it suits you, eh, hypocrite?

kkk_jesus_saves.jpg

Isn't that eloquent.

And what kind of Democrats were they

The Democrat kind, using religion as a tool, much like they do today with their "WWJD?" nonsense over immigration and welfare. Democrats have always been natural chameleons, wearing whatever mask is most effective at a given time.

Rally%20Poster%20ObamaChristBW.jpg

Isn't that eloquent.

They are doing the same thing today in the hope of burying that history that is their albatross.

The resurrection of the Klan, to which I've alluded hundreds of times on this site and repeatedly in this examination of the Lost Cause revisionism, was brought about by one WiIliam J. Simmons. There's no indication anywhere he was affiliated with, or worked on behalf of, any political party.

You go ahead and prove me wrong, historian-wannabe. I'll wait.

While you're scratching your head on that fencepost, you might go ahead and explain to the class why "Democrats" would be electing Owen Brewster. Or Ben Paulen. Or Ed Jackson. Or Rice Means. Or Clarence Morley. Or Hodgdon Buzzell. Or John G. Smith. Or Charles S. Tuttle Jr. Or Allen Irish. Or Mark Allen Barwise. Or George Baker. Or Charles Bowles. Or four-fifths of the city council of Anaheim.

Pop quiz for the armchair historian: Which one of the above was not a Republican?

Charles Bowles, who won the vote for mayor of Detroit 1925 as a write-in with no party at all.

Then you might go on to wax eloquent on why the Klan would be targeting, say -- Catholics (such as the 1928 campaign against Al Smith) -- or for that matter why it endorsed, and after the election took credit for the victories of, Calvin Coolidge and Herbert Hoover.

What kind of "historian" thinks the Klan had a political party? Are diploma mills still in operation?

And again --- "removing" statues/monuments from their public propaganda points does not mean being "destroyed", but relocated to a less-propaganda point, a more neutral point that doesn't make the artifact look like it's "endorsed" by that community. In effect the artifacts live on while their propaganda power is being neutered. Which is the real psychological issue at base for both sides --- whether that propaganda power gets to stay or go.

In at least one case the Daughters of the Confederacy, who put up most of these monuments, has agreed to take one back, when no one else would.

The Gainesville (Fla) Sun

>> Gainesville resident Melissa Wokasch, 41, wiped tears away as she watched workers chip away at the statue’s base.

“It’s about time,” she said. “I think this should have been done a long time ago. I think there’s a greater sense of urgency now than ever.”

Friday, white nationalists held a torch-lit march at the University of Virginia, protesting the removal of a Confederate monument there. The next day, violence erupted during protests in Charlottesville, leaving three dead and more than 30 injured.

... The decision to move the statue here was settled more than a month ago when the United Daughters of the Confederacy agreed to take it after other groups had declined it.

Prominent symbols of the Confederacy became increasingly controversial since June 17, 2015, when Dylann Roof opened fire in an historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina, killing nine people gathered for a Bible study. Roof said he was trying to start a race war.

... [County Commissioner Robert Hutchinson] said the commission always wanted to remove Old Joe, but was unsure who would take it. He said he never wanted it demolished and believes it’s better-suited to a museum or veterans park. “The solution, which should have been obvious from the beginning, was simply to give it back to who gave it to us,” he said.

The statue was unveiled in Jan. 19, 1904, the birthday of Gen. Robert E. Lee, to music from the Gainesville Orchestra followed by speeches.

... City Commissioner Harvey Ward said he was glad to see Old Joe go, too, adding that his great-great-great-grandfather was a Confederate soldier in the Civil War.

Ward said the statue was erected to honor a “lost cause.” But for some, he said, it’s a “painful reminder of injustice.” “These statues didn’t pop up at the end of the Civil War to honor veterans,” Ward said.

... The county has no plans at the moment for any type of replacement in that spot, but a lynching-victims memorial could soon be put up near the Public Defender’s Office at 151 SW Second Ave., he added.

Amanda Wagner-Perlkey, 37, said the statue stands for oppression and was erected to remind people that whites are superior to blacks and needed to go. <<

"Old Joe" -- whose model is by the way yet another generic and not a historical person --- has been relocated to a cemetery and disassociated from its original public-property site. To use my previous term he's been neutered. And even the UDC sees the light.

That's the way it should work.

Of course --- the OP or any other of the Lost Causers are free to make the case for why a municipal or state government should be endorsing monuments to white supremacy or history revisionism in general.

Isn't that eloquent.

Everyone knows the Southern Racist were Democrats. If you wanted to be in politics in the South, you were a democrat. All that changed starting in 1964 when the coalition of Northern Democrats and Northern Republicans passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. So that's where we were. Where are we now?

Liberal extremists, fascists - not antifa who is what they falsely claim to be, have already shown their hand.

They seek to destroy this nation from within gutting our history and culture, militarizing political correctness and using violence to enforce it and their fascist agenda.

Before they had even succeeded in getting all of the Confederate statues destroyed or torn down, they immediately began to Target our Founding Fathers the leaders who built this nation and created one of the greatest documents ever written - the US Constitution.

Today's liberal-left extremist, Antifa, is the internal threat Lenin said would do from within what no outside force could do - destroy the United States.

Confederate memorials and our civil war history is only the start. As they have already demonstrated, they will move on to the rest of our history and culture, starting with our Founding Fathers - Jefferson, Washington, etc...

It is important to see and understand who the faces of this movement are, the faces of those calling for such attacks on our Founding Fathers - tax cheating, race-baiters, race profiteers like Al Sharpton.
- years ago a young black girl claimed she had been raped by several white police officers. Al Sharpton race to her side, and he violently verbally attacked the police. At one point, Sharpton provided what he claimed was evidence of the police officers' guilt. It was at this point the young girl came forward and admitted she had lied about it all in order to hide from her father/family the fact that her and her boyfriend we're having sex.

This meant Al Sharpton had broken the law by providing false evidence. When the girls admission broke in the news Al Sharpton fled, leaving the area before he could be arrested. The police chose not to pursue charges against Al Sharpton in order to help the tensions in the community to dissipate.

To this day however Al Sharpton is nothing but a lying Criminal race-baiter. His call to Target the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington Monument, and other Founding Father historic monuments is not surprising. Sharpton makes a living promoting racism and gains nothing by unified Nation.

Forum List

Back