What was the purpose of the "gain of function" research?

The purpose of the gain of function research:

something more or less like this....you work it out

1627183469087.png

Ummm.. No. Not "Right-wingers"... People who are actually following and looking at the evidence. Nobody... I say again.. NOBODY is saying we didn't fund this in the past. What is being said now, is that it wasn't funded after the ban.
You are alleging the US collaborated with China on bioweapons research while the right-wing was insisting on having a trade war with China. Only the right-wing would be that cognitively dissonant.

Yes... Which is likely why they chose China... Let them take the risk was likely the thinking behind it. I don't know that. Personally, I don't think it should be funded at all.
Basic research would be more likely for any potential "complacency". I can imagine sirens and lights flashing to remind people of the security concerns for bioweapons research that could be that deadly.

Nobody is saying that pandemics can't happen without human interference. Straw man. What is being said, is that this one did not. There is evidence that shows it did not. Your arguments here did not dent that at all. Please read post #28 that I posted like 20 minutes before this one.
No one has stated basic research is not dangerous. It was why there were safety procedures and personal protective equipment as "standard practice" for it. Right-wingers would have us believe we are good allies with the Chinese and were Collaborating on bioweapons research, and the trade war was "just for fun".

Do it all again. I'm not doing this discussion like this. One post. Not hard.

No one has stated basic research is not dangerous. It was why there were safety procedures and personal protective equipment as "standard practice" for it. Right-wingers would have us believe we are good allies with the Chinese and were Collaborating on bioweapons research, and the trade war was "just for fun".
umm.. what you just quoted. It's the response, to what you just said.

Nobody is saying that pandemics can't happen without human interference. Straw man. What is being said, is that this one did not. There is evidence that shows it did not. Your arguments here did not dent that at all. Please read post #38 that I posted like 20 minutes before this one.

Edit: Post #38... That was my badd.

Last edited:
"GoF experiments have neither prevented a pandemic, nor provided useful information about safe and effective pandemic countermeasures. Numerous prominent scientists argue that these experiments deviate from morally justifiable research, and the experimentally altered pathogens have put the entire human species at risk".

Getting ahead of the curve needs to be left to the educational realm, not drug companies leading the call for supporting experimental risks over any known benefit. Drug companies are bumbling the ball but the great news is that it's in the public spotlight. That's one good thing about sharing information, it's hard to keep major scientific/governmental blunders on the down low nowadays for long.

Should people be actively searching for and cutting up animals, suspected of being contaminated in the Amazon Region; is this really something that should be occurring? Due to the vast number of species (millions) on Earth and under water, do they think they'll get lucky and hit one just in time to prevent it from transferring to people? It's much more reasonable to believe that once human interaction occurs with an infected species, involving the use of sharp instruments, very bad things can happen.

Over 230,000 marine species are currently recorded, and how many potential diseases are there among unknown species, considering that 90% of sea life has yet to be classified? Aggressively seeking infected animals to find the "next pandemic" is not even rational. It's like throwing a life preserver out in the ocean and trying to save someone from drowning a few miles south.

Last edited:
Sure. Accidents happen. The Spanish flu originated in the US not China.
*blink*blink*

Ok. I disagree. I'm sure the people who ACTUALLY believe that Covid killed 3 million people should be all over your ass here shortly for calling this an "accident". But... I don't think they actually believe that.

How did they come up with a vaccine so quickly if basic research is not useful?
Your statement implies that the derived concoction (various) was optimal. The trouble they've had is determining that second jab with timing...now articles out about less dosage having same effectiveness. Yeah, they'll continue to tweak with boosters (now saying 8 months looks like average time for antibodies to continue to protect from more severe reaction/illness), change course if needed perhaps.

Many have continued to suspect that flu viruses were mixed in with covid(s). Testing has been ineffective in many cases grouping various coronaviruses together as one-all other types classified as COVID-19. There is no doubt the numbers have been conflated; it will take some time to figure out the severity of it.

Drug companies are rushing to get out the word that more vaccines will be on the way. More talk about pushing flu vaccines as an annual requirement (now there's an interesting twist to it all). Drug companies pushing drugs...nothing new.

The development and push was about money for most decision makers. Another was for notoriety...to get name recognition (first time having vaccine kind of thing). They wear different hats but are motivated to continue to make as much wealth as possible and make a name for the company.

Last edited:
Can you explain what you mean? I got vaccinated just like for anything else vaccines are good for.
If something would have went wrong... You can't sue the company that made the vaccine. The FDA has not given it the green light to be treated like any other drug. Thus the Emergency Use Authorization.

Man... You have opinions without actually having knowledge. I appreciate that you ask questions. Let me get you a link to a news site you might actually read.

Forum List

Back