What Was The Best Decade For Music In History?

Which period or decade in music was the best in your opinion

• Classical period

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The 50s

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The 60s

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • The 70s

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The 80s

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • The 90s

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 2000-2010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010-2020

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The 70's has the most good songs by far.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade
Elton John and Billy Joel

An interesting phenomena...
If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

No, I don't hear that AT ALL. Never occurred to me, not once.
Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Okay, here they are.

Had to look up the EJ one, not familiar with it --- it's playing as I type and I'm hearing more Chopin than anything else. Give me some time markers.

You wanna hear some direct ripoffs, not counting Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant, check Joe South's direct "quote" of John Lennon's "Day in the Life" in his song "Hush" -- I think Deep Purple did it. Joe South did that a lot.

starting from about 1:45, you can already hear the BJ has listened to this album many times
4:06 is where BJ ripped off the melody.

1:45 of which one? I went to 1:45 of Elton John and that's the part where I'm hearing Chopin. Which is also an element in Joel's music, although not here. Would it not be accurate to say they're both influenced by Chopin in their development? Such as....

Actually what you've got there, at both 1:45 and 4:06 is the same theme, repeated. And it's particularly where it dips down into that minor chord that I hear the Chopin (which Joel's melody doesn't do). But no I don't hear one copying the other just because they use a similar bass progression, any more than we can call "Stairway to Heaven" a ripoff of "Taurus" on the same basis.

EJ never copied BJ.

And BTW - this just might have been the greatest thing for music in the 20th century.... it changed everything. And opened the world to music no one knew existed, and smashed the shackles of corporate music.

View attachment 462709

What even IS that? :dunno:
If you don't know.... uh... I can't help you.... holy cow I hope you are kidding

So you don't know what it is, and you posted it anyway?

I've never seen that before. Have no idea where you're going with this.
I will give you a hint...Nap {Fill in the 2nd syllable)...

Is that a logo for Napster? :dunno:

Napster wasn't music, but if that's what he's going for I can't agree it "smashed the shackles of corporate music". Number one, corporate music is still very much in play, no pun intended, and number two, those alternatives to corporate music were already readily available for anyone with ears to hear it. Hell that's what I was doing in the 1980s I mentioned. Breaking corporate shackles goes back to the 1960s.
Napster is why streaming music exist.
Napster is why CD sales fell to the basement.
Napster is the medium of how so many bands were discovered because it existed.
And other reasons.
By the 1980's record labels were making contracts with bands with minimum albums per whatever period. A band would have to sign a deal to make say, 3 albums in 2 years or pay a hefty fine and/or lawsuit. There were bands that died, completely went away because of contracts. (Boston example)
So bands were writing a couple decent songs, and then throwing together garbage to make an album. Gone were 45's or the very short lived "single cassettes" - fans had no choice but to pay up for whole albums where only 1 or 2 songs were any good.
Today - you enjoy the fact you can listen to whatever song you want. Whenever you want, And what you listen to follows you around where ever you are on a variety of devices. Napster gave birth to all of it. It was literally 20 years ahead of it's time.

This is still in a laser-narrow focus of Music. "So many bands were discovered" of a very specific and narrow idiom, but alternatives to corporate-approved pop music had already been there. I was playing it myself.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade

If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Okay, here they are.

Had to look up the EJ one, not familiar with it --- it's playing as I type and I'm hearing more Chopin than anything else. Give me some time markers.

You wanna hear some direct ripoffs, not counting Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant, check Joe South's direct "quote" of John Lennon's "Day in the Life" in his song "Hush" -- I think Deep Purple did it. Joe South did that a lot.

starting from about 1:45, you can already hear the BJ has listened to this album many times

1:45 of which one? I went to 1:45 of Elton John and that's the part where I'm hearing Chopin. Which is also an element in Joel's music, although not here. Would it not be accurate to say they're both influenced by Chopin in their development? Such as....

Actually what you've got there, at both 1:45 and 4:06 is the same theme, repeated. And it's particularly where it dips down into that minor chord that I hear the Chopin (which Joel's melody doesn't do). But no I don't hear one copying the other just because they use a similar bass progression, any more than we can call "Stairway to Heaven" a ripoff of "Taurus" on the same basis.

EJ never copied BJ.

Never been a fan of EJ, wouldn't know. But I just don't hear it here.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

Wow! If you don't hear it starting from 4:06 I don't know how to respond.
Through the years I've played some of this to many people and I didn't even have to tell them that BJ was ripping off EJ.
It won't make any difference to their assets ($0.00) at this point in time.

For instance... The Rolling Stones. In my opinion one one of the most over-rated bands in history, virtually every song you hear today by them, and the songs people think of when thinking of the Rolling Stones - is from the 60s and 70s. After that, they produced drivel for the most part.

Voodoo Lounge from 1994 by the Stones is pretty good.
Nothing they did compares to Some Girls. Super original, nothing liked it existed then. Every song was good. Tattoo You is a distant second I think, but Voodoo Lounge is not original. And what the hell was up with "The Worst"... wanted to do a Hank Williams song??

The slower songs like "The Worst" on Voodoo Lounge just hit the right spot for me, not much for "Waiting for a Friend." And "Start Me Up" was great when it came out, but it got played so much it died a million deaths and became "noise." The other slower songs on Tattoo You, I don't like at all.
The Stones have left a treasure of music until 1984 but became irrelevant in the music world afterwards.
There's comes an age where the composing talent simply is no longer there.
Some Girls is one of my favorite albums of all time.
I know, funny to hear that from a person who said they are the most overrated band of all time.
But it is true. (IMO)
They still produced some good songs after Tattoo You.... of course... but they were farther and fewer in between. Like I say, pretty much every song people think of with Rolling Stones is off of just 3 albums. Maybe 4. They made 30!!
90% of what they wrote stinks.
I always thought Gimme Shelter was their best work
Haha... yeah... which is a compilation of those 4 albums :D

Is there a compilation by that name? I thought he was referring to the song by that name, and I'd agree.

The Stones died with Brian.

Last week I sold off not one not two but three Stones LPs. Got about $175 for 'em. So there's a market, and I'm not above taking advantage of it.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

Through the years I've played some of this to many people and I didn't even have to tell them that BJ was ripping off EJ.

I'm hearing two different themes with somewhat similar bass progressions. And I'm hearing Chopin in both of them. :dunno:

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

I'm hearing two different themes with somewhat similar bass progressions. :dunno:

At 4:06?!
You're respect for BJ is affecting your perception of the obvious.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

I'm hearing two different themes with somewhat similar bass progressions. And I'm hearing Chopin in both of them. :dunno:

I'm listening to the notes.
One can always find similarities between two pieces of music, the question is to what degree.

It could be my respect for, I'll say it yet again, Chopin is affecting my perceptions. Is it possible they're both ripping off Chopin, at least in compositional approach? Because that's more what I hear here.

Having grown up ion the '60s with The Beatles, and The Stones, and The Who et al, I voted the '60s.

But as far as actual musicianship goes, the '40s with the Big Bands would be number one by far.
I'm with you on the sixties. You can also add in most of the original oldies, the Jackson 5, Led Zeppelin, the whole Motown thing which was huge and Woodstock for good measure. I like it all except rap. I just don't get that.

I have a friend that has one of the largest music collections in the country. I mean a whole house that is wall to wall albums, tapes, videos. One of his prize possessions is the original film work for Woodstock. It was a documentary, and he actually has the original footage, shot before editing. I mean we are talking straight out of the camera and to his projector. Every year, August 15-August 18 he runs it. And I have to tell you, it is a yearly vacation. It is absolutely amazing. I will never tire of it. In fact, I burn vacation time during that period too. Just like he does, my brother does, and several other people. If you see it, if you experience it, you can begin to understand just how significant that moment in history really was. The problem is many people that really were there, that really experienced that pitiful moment in American history, have forgotten all that it meant, all that it signified. And that is the greatest tragedy, the biggest failure, of mankind. Woodstock was a religious experience, and we need that experience again.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

One can always find similarities between two pieces of music, the question is to what degree.

It could be my respect for, I'll say it yet again, Chopin is affecting my perceptions. Is it possible they're both ripping off Chopin, at least in compositional approach? Because that's more what I hear here.

I am a musician and it's clear as day.
The Philharmonic can play A Hard Day's Night and I know it's a Hard Day's Night.
BJ unconsciously took that part and thought it was a new composition.
I will presume that his band was not familiar with EJ's work and BJ's publisher didn't do his due diligence.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

I am a musician and it's clear as day.
The Philharmonic can play A Hard Day's Night and I know it's a Hard Day's Night.
BJ unconsciously took that part and thought it was a new composition.
I will presume that his band was not familiar with EJ's work and BJ's publisher didn't do his due diligence.

So am I, and given the relevant parts, I'm not hearing a ripoff. It's not necessary to have heard it before, as you yourself indicated. I don't think Joel's publisher needed a heads-up at all.

Is Ray Mazarek ripping off Al Kooper here? Manzarek at 2:56, BST entire theme. They're even in the same key....

I wouldn't call that a ripoff, that's just a quick "quote", if it's even intentional. Two bars and then off somewhere else.

Last edited:

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

Is Ray Mazarek ripping off Blood Sweat and Tears here? Manzarek at 2:56

I wouldn't call that a ripoff, that's just a quick "quote", if it's even intentional.

These songs are prime examples of what most people call muzak.
I have no problem with album fillers sounding alike because nobody thinks they're going to be singles.
When a composer sites at a piano for 10 hours until a catchy melody emerges, that composer should well know whether or not the melody line is original.
I have the feeling that BJ was listening to so many different types of music that he didn't realize it wasn't original.
BJ also drank like a fish.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

I wouldn't call that a ripoff, that's just a quick "quote", if it's even intentional.

I have no problem with album fillers sounding alike because nobody thinks they're going to be singles.
When a composer sites at a piano for 10 hours until a catchy melody emerges, that composer should well know whether or not the melody line is original.
I have the feeling that BJ was listening to so many different types of music that he didn't realize it wasn't original.

"Muzak"?
Muzak is a copyrighted trade name. Do you know what it is? Because NONE of this sounds anything like Muzak. I suppose I could post some but would be both a waste of time and offensive. Muzak is sanitized Mantovani music beaten to a pulp until all of its edges and thus all of its felling, are obliterated. I don't hear that in ANYTHING quoted here.

I have no doubt BJ, EJ, and any number of others know that they have influences from which they model, and I'm saying if there's one here, it's that they both took a cue from Chopin. Rather than from each other.

Last edited:
Tough to say, but not this one that’s for sure. Holy shit some of the crap that people think is music these days

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

"Muzak"?
Muzak is a copyrighted trade name. Do you know what it is? Because NONE of this sounds anything like Muzak. I suppose I could post some but would be both a waste of time and offensive. Muzak is sanitized Mantovani music beaten to a pulp until all of its edges and thus all of its felling, are obliterated. I don't hear that in ANYTHING quoted here.

Fish don't drink btw.

That's my Top 100 curse.
I was never an album fan of either group.
I prefer less organ and horns in music.
When I have to listen to a song 3 times in order to like it I usually don't consider it to be pure music considering there have been 1000s of songs I have liked right off the bat.
EJ's Captain Fantastic
Joe Jackson's Look Sharp
Fleetwood Mac's Rumors
Rockpile had a great album
and lot of others where I know the artist really sweated to make sure every song was a gem.

"Muzak"?

That's my Top 100 curse.

Wasn't asking for an evaluation of either group, and I agree about the horns.... I'm saying there's a musical quote in the first video (2:56) which exactly matches the melody of the second one, and I'm asking if that's a "ripoff". The first time I ever heard "L.A. Woman" I recognized it immediately.

Last edited:

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

"Muzak"?

Fish don't drink btw.

That's my Top 100 curse.
When I have to listen to a song 3 times in order to like it I usually don't consider it to be pure music considering there have been 1000s of songs I have liked right off the bat.
EJ's Captain Fantastic
Joe Jackson's Look Sharp
Fleetwood Mac's Rumors
and lot of others where I know the artist really sweated to make sure every song was a gem.

Captain Fantastic that one brings back memories.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

"Muzak"?

That's my Top 100 curse.

Wasn't asking for an evaluation of either group, and I agree about the horns.... I'm saying there's a musical quote in the first video (2:56) which exactly matches the melody of the second one, and I'm asking if that's a "ripoff". The first time I ever heard "L.A. Woman" I recognized it immediately.

Ray Mazarek is considered a genius and I think he might have been mocking BS&T.
There's no way he didn't know what he was playing.
I cant stand L. A. Woman or the Doors so I never made it that far into the song; I never heard it before but it's a lovely lick, so for that lick alone I thank you.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

"Muzak"?

Fish don't drink btw.

That's my Top 100 curse.
EJ's Captain Fantastic
Joe Jackson's Look Sharp
Fleetwood Mac's Rumors

Captain Fantastic that one brings back memories.

One of the albums inspired by heaven.

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music
Which one of the above was the best decade/period in history for Rock & Roll, Pop Music, or just music in general.
Take into consideration innovation....originality....artistry...or ingenuity.

I believe the 80s was the greatest when it came to popular culture. The Classical period was the most influential....but the 80s changed America.

If you vote....please post at least a short comment.
I think Angelo hit it on the head the seventies creativity and original sounds separate it from the other decades. I can remember just being blown away by Fly like an eagle. I had never heard such a dramatically different sound. The eighties the record companies had to much control and limited the sound to much.
All the previous decades up until Woodstock in 1969 really set a perfect foundation for the inventiveness of the 70's . 1970 in the UK and the US was like a perfect storm with all the right ingredients that culminated in 'the gravy train' as Pink Floyd described it. Up until the end of the 60's - music was almost a passing fad until the Woodstock awakening, the British hard rock/ metal invasion - radio stations started getting flooded with requests for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf and Jefferson Airplane....the antiwar movement was huge after over a decade of the Vietnam War-- I grew up 20 minutes from KSU where the Guard shot 4 students during protests and saw it unfolding first hand, as many of us did. Then you had jazz and blues expanding after Hendrix, developing with Al Dimeola and Robin Trower all those guys. I could ramble on and on . Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan - the list goes on forever. Bonham , Peart, Van Halen..........ELP.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back