What Was The Best Decade For Music In History?

Which period or decade in music was the best in your opinion

• Classical period

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The 50s

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The 60s

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • The 70s

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The 80s

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • The 90s

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 2000-2010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010-2020

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Realy.
BOBBY GENTRY ! Something about this girl moved me. I wanted to bang her S bad as I wanted to bang Stevie Nick's. She was just so cool about doing her thing.. She sounds nothing like this completely different tempo completely different sound.

Bobbie Gentry is/was an awesome superhuman talent. Sang, wrote, produced, played, choreographed, designed her costumes, if you told me she could perform brain surgery while flying a 747 it wouldn't surprise me. She produced her own material from the beginning but they wouldn't credit a girl in those daze.

Did you know she recorded in Japanese and competed in an Italian singing contest, had her own TV show on BBC and majored in Philosophy...

Most impressively when she was at her peak and could have written her own contract for literally any kind of medium --- she just walked away and never came back.

Fun fact: OTBJ was just a demo, in the can with a bunch of other songs played one-take live in the studio, that they put strings on and put out as a single. Cheapest production EVAH. And it knocked the Beatles out of the #1 spot.

Ya, what a women! God I had a thing for her. Married a girl that looked alot like her. The girl I married had a mean streak in her though. No substitute for Bobbie. Good news I am weeks away from freedom. I wonder what happened to Bobbie? Can you imagine hearing her sing all day around the house. Pure heaven!

Realy.
BOBBY GENTRY ! Something about this girl moved me. I wanted to bang her S bad as I wanted to bang Stevie Nick's. She was just so cool about doing her thing.. She sounds nothing like this completely different tempo completely different sound.

Bobbie Gentry is/was an awesome superhuman talent. Sang, wrote, produced, played, choreographed, designed her costumes, if you told me she could perform brain surgery while flying a 747 it wouldn't surprise me. She produced her own material from the beginning but they wouldn't credit a girl in those daze.

Did you know she recorded in Japanese and competed in an Italian singing contest, had her own TV show on BBC and majored in Philosophy...

Most impressively when she was at her peak and could have written her own contract for literally any kind of medium --- she just walked away and never came back.

Fun fact: OTBJ was just a demo, in the can with a bunch of other songs played one-take live in the studio, that they put strings on and put out as a single. Cheapest production EVAH. And it knocked the Beatles out of the #1 spot.

Ya, what a women! God I had a thing for her. Married a girl that looked alot like her. The girl I married had a mean streak in her though. No substitute for Bobbie. Good news I am weeks away from freedom. I wonder what happened to Bobbie? Can you imagine hearing her sing all day around the house. Pure heaven!

The rumor is she lives in a gated mansion somewhere near Memphis, meaning not far from where she grew up in abject poverty. No one really knows for sure, which means she not only dropped out of the scene, she did so successfully. Much respect for that.

Realy.

The rumor is she lives in a gated mansion somewhere near Memphis, meaning not far from where she grew up in abject poverty. No one really knows for sure, which means she not only dropped out of the scene, she did so successfully. Much respect for that.

I feel it. I am soon to be able to run charters year round. Selling all my property in the city and gunna spend the golden years on the water with my best friend since I was 11. Heres to successfully leaving a complicated life behind. Sure would like to get her on one of my boats with me though. Lead a simple life with a goddess. We can all dream!

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music
Which one of the above was the best decade/period in history for Rock & Roll, Pop Music, or just music in general.
Take into consideration innovation....originality....artistry...or ingenuity.

I believe the 80s was the greatest when it came to popular culture. The Classical period was the most influential....but the 80s changed America.

If you vote....please post at least a short comment.
None of the above. Probably the 1870s, as the old slave tunes became more widespread and defined, leading eventually to some of the best modern music.

For me, it isn't a single decade.... rather a period that spanned 2.
And that is the 1960s through the 1970's.
Right now, on radio stations across the radio/streaming spectrum - classic rock continues to be among the most popular. And not just by folks in their 50s and above. But folks in their 20s and 30s also listen to music from this period.
The exception is of course the brief Disco craze. It came and went with equal speed, and only a handful of those songs you will ever hear again.
The 1980s is probably the worst. And to note - that is when I was a teenager.
The 80s and 90s alike were plagued by "corporate bands". Plagued by MTV. Some of the worst bands that were HUGE back then - you never hear anymore. There is a reason for that. It sucked.
I also lean toward a period 1955-1975, Greatest variety between and within bands and the music that seems to have held on to its popularity.

Right now, on radio stations across the radio/streaming spectrum - classic rock continues to be among the most popular. And not just by folks in their 50s and above. But folks in their 20s and 30s also listen to music from this period.
The exception is of course the brief Disco craze. It came and went with equal speed, and only a handful of those songs you will ever hear again.
The 80s and 90s alike were plagued by "corporate bands". Plagued by MTV. Some of the worst bands that were HUGE back then - you never hear anymore. There is a reason for that. It sucked.
I also lean toward a period 1955-1975, Greatest variety between and within bands and the music that seems to have held on to its popularity.
Music then had nothing to do with what a person looked like.
Especially from the 1980's - 2000s, looks was at least 75% of the reason why someone made it as the record companies pushed them out there. THink especially of the female top singers in this period. Virtually all of them are hot as hell. Back in the day? Not so much. Some were, but most weren't. It was all about the music. Which is why it was so much better.

Do this.... Google "Top female singers 1960s".... look at the pictures.
Then Google "Top female singers 2000s"...... yeah

Last edited:
Music then had nothing to do with what a person looked like.
Especially from the 1980's - 2000s, looks was at least 75% of the reason why someone made it as the record companies pushed them out there. THink especially of the female top singers in this period. Virtually all of them are hot as hell. Back in the day? Not so much. Some were, but most weren't. It was all about the music. Which is why it was so much better.

Do this.... Google "Top female singers 1960s".... look at the pictures.
Then Google "Top female singers 2000s"...... yeah
I don't recall any charlatans like Milli Vanilli or Michael Bolton during that period either.

Depends on a word I despise- genre- the 50's and early 60's- Rock-n-Roll changed the music world- think Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis
For Country it was the late 70's and early 80's and the Outlaw movement- think Waylon and Willie, or vice versa

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music
Which one of the above was the best decade/period in history for Rock & Roll, Pop Music, or just music in general.
Take into consideration innovation....originality....artistry...or ingenuity.

I believe the 80s was the greatest when it came to popular culture. The Classical period was the most influential....but the 80s changed America.

If you vote....please post at least a short comment.
Definitely Classical followed by the 80’s.
Time is always a great judge.

Forum List

Back