What Was The Best Decade For Music In History?

Which period or decade in music was the best in your opinion

• Classical period

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The 50s

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The 60s

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • The 70s

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The 80s

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • The 90s

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 2000-2010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010-2020

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
And BTW - this just might have been the greatest thing for music in the 20th century.... it changed everything. And opened the world to music no one knew existed, and smashed the shackles of corporate music.

View attachment 462709

What even IS that? :dunno:
If you don't know.... uh... I can't help you.... holy cow I hope you are kidding

So you don't know what it is, and you posted it anyway?

I've never seen that before. Have no idea where you're going with this.
I will give you a hint...Nap {Fill in the 2nd syllable)...

Is that a logo for Napster? :dunno:

Napster wasn't music, but if that's what he's going for I can't agree it "smashed the shackles of corporate music". Number one, corporate music is still very much in play, no pun intended, and number two, those alternatives to corporate music were already readily available for anyone with ears to hear it. Hell that's what I was doing in the 1980s I mentioned. Breaking corporate shackles goes back to the 1960s.

And BTW - this just might have been the greatest thing for music in the 20th century.... it changed everything. And opened the world to music no one knew existed, and smashed the shackles of corporate music.

View attachment 462709

If you don't know.... uh... I can't help you.... holy cow I hope you are kidding

Napster wasn't music, but if that's what he's going for I can't agree it "smashed the shackles of corporate music". Number one, corporate music is still very much in play, no pun intended, and number two, those alternatives to corporate music were already readily available for anyone with ears to hear it. Hell that's what I was doing in the 1980s I mentioned. Breaking corporate shackles goes back to the 1960s.
Napster sure beat the heck out of making a cassette recording from a radio.

The 70's has the most good songs by far.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade
Elton John and Billy Joel

An interesting phenomena...
If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

No, I don't hear that AT ALL. Never occurred to me, not once.
Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Okay, here they are.

Had to look up the EJ one, not familiar with it --- it's playing as I type and I'm hearing more Chopin than anything else. Give me some time markers.

You wanna hear some direct ripoffs, not counting Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant, check Joe South's direct "quote" of John Lennon's "Day in the Life" in his song "Hush" -- I think Deep Purple did it. Joe South did that a lot.

View attachment 462709

Napster sure beat the heck out of making a cassette recording from a radio.

So you're interpreting the poster's phrase "corporate shackles" to refer to end-user BUYING?
Because I think of that as creative constraint. Before, not after, the recording is released.

As for actual acquisition, I guess I didn't notice. Never used Napster. As already noted those alternatives were always out there, especially with the breaking of those corporate barriers in the 1960s, starting with Sergeant Pepper.

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music
Which one of the above was the best decade/period in history for Rock & Roll, Pop Music, or just music in general.
Take into consideration innovation....originality....artistry...or ingenuity.

I believe the 80s was the greatest when it came to popular culture. The Classical period was the most influential....but the 80s changed America.

If you vote....please post at least a short comment.
The best? That's gonna depend entirely on what kinda music you like. They are all important, and all unique.

The most important? The 50s led to the 60s which led to the 70s... None could exist without the previous.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade

If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Okay, here they are.

Had to look up the EJ one, not familiar with it --- it's playing as I type and I'm hearing more Chopin than anything else. Give me some time markers.

You wanna hear some direct ripoffs, not counting Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant, check Joe South's direct "quote" of John Lennon's "Day in the Life" in his song "Hush" -- I think Deep Purple did it. Joe South did that a lot.

starting from about 1:45, you can already hear the BJ has listened to this album many times
4:06 is where BJ ripped off the melody.

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music
Which one of the above was the best decade/period in history for Rock & Roll, Pop Music, or just music in general.

I believe the 80s was the greatest when it came to popular culture. The Classical period was the most influential....but the 80s changed America.

The best? That's gonna depend entirely on what kinda music you like. They are all important, and all unique.

The most important? The 50s led to the 60s which led to the 70s... None could exist without the previous.

It all goes back to Jazz and the Blues

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music

It all goes back to Jazz and the Blues
Further than that.

1960s For melodies and great solos.
Also the 1970s. you limited it to 1 decade.
The 1980s died by late 1985 with the Rap invasion.
I prefer melodies over slashers.
I think the greatest change was during the 80s.
Music went from something you listened to on the radio to something you watched on Friday night until Saturday morning.
Music videos was essentially the hay-day for musicians.
Now that is all gone.
I remember in the late 80s that many artists were upset that DJs were not announcing the names of the songs or the groups because they didn't want people to listen to records or DVDs instead of radio.
I used to go to The Record Hunter in MidTown NYC where they sold DVDs for $6.99.

That's a bizarre claim, I was literally playing music on the radio at that time and I would NEVER have failed to announce what it was. Nobody else I knew would either. If they did they'd get corrected pretty quickly.

I can even remember an automated station in the daze of "underground FM" that would play strings of psychedelic music, but even then the bot would back-announce what it just played. It's pretty much standard procedure in radio.
I worked in Downtown NYC (Wall Street) and it was a horror finding a single; I had to hum the song to the person at the counter.
It could have been a NY phenomena; some of these DJs thought they were solely responsible for the musician's success.
These were the Top 100 radio stations.
REO speedwagon to tune a tuna fish had to do the same thing

YouCanTuneaPianoButYouCantTunaFish.jpg

For instance... The Rolling Stones. In my opinion one one of the most over-rated bands in history, virtually every song you hear today by them, and the songs people think of when thinking of the Rolling Stones - is from the 60s and 70s. After that, they produced drivel for the most part.

Voodoo Lounge from 1994 by the Stones is pretty good.
Nothing they did compares to Some Girls. Super original, nothing liked it existed then. Every song was good. Tattoo You is a distant second I think, but Voodoo Lounge is not original. And what the hell was up with "The Worst"... wanted to do a Hank Williams song??

The slower songs like "The Worst" on Voodoo Lounge just hit the right spot for me, not much for "Waiting for a Friend." And "Start Me Up" was great when it came out, but it got played so much it died a million deaths and became "noise." The other slower songs on Tattoo You, I don't like at all.

1. The 50s
  2. The 60s
  3. The 70s
  4. The 80s
  5. The 90s
  6. 2000-2010
  7. 2010-2020
  8. Classical Music

Not a Decade but a 10 year period, 1964 to 1974
Everything from the Beach Boy, the Beatles and Pink Floyd without the disco and punk rock.

View attachment 462709

Napster is why streaming music exist.
Napster is why CD sales fell to the basement.
Napster is the medium of how so many bands were discovered because it existed.
And other reasons.
By the 1980's record labels were making contracts with bands with minimum albums per whatever period. A band would have to sign a deal to make say, 3 albums in 2 years or pay a hefty fine and/or lawsuit. There were bands that died, completely went away because of contracts. (Boston example)
So bands were writing a couple decent songs, and then throwing together garbage to make an album. Gone were 45's or the very short lived "single cassettes" - fans had no choice but to pay up for whole albums where only 1 or 2 songs were any good.
Today - you enjoy the fact you can listen to whatever song you want. Whenever you want, And what you listen to follows you around where ever you are on a variety of devices. Napster gave birth to all of it. It was literally 20 years ahead of it's time.

For instance... The Rolling Stones. In my opinion one one of the most over-rated bands in history, virtually every song you hear today by them, and the songs people think of when thinking of the Rolling Stones - is from the 60s and 70s. After that, they produced drivel for the most part.

Nothing they did compares to Some Girls. Super original, nothing liked it existed then. Every song was good. Tattoo You is a distant second I think, but Voodoo Lounge is not original. And what the hell was up with "The Worst"... wanted to do a Hank Williams song??

The slower songs like "The Worst" on Voodoo Lounge just hit the right spot for me, not much for "Waiting for a Friend." And "Start Me Up" was great when it came out, but it got played so much it died a million deaths and became "noise." The other slower songs on Tattoo You, I don't like at all.
The Stones have left a treasure of music until 1984 but became irrelevant in the music world afterwards.
There's comes an age where the composing talent simply is no longer there.

View attachment 462709

Napster is why streaming music exist.
Napster is why CD sales fell to the basement.
Napster is the medium of how so many bands were discovered because it existed.
And other reasons.
By the 1980's record labels were making contracts with bands with minimum albums per whatever period. A band would have to sign a deal to make say, 3 albums in 2 years or pay a hefty fine and/or lawsuit. There were bands that died, completely went away because of contracts. (Boston example)
So bands were writing a couple decent songs, and then throwing together garbage to make an album. Gone were 45's or the very short lived "single cassettes" - fans had no choice but to pay up for whole albums where only 1 or 2 songs were any good.
Today - you enjoy the fact you can listen to whatever song you want. Whenever you want, And what you listen to follows you around where ever you are on a variety of devices. Napster gave birth to all of it. It was literally 20 years ahead of it's time.
BINGO!

The Stones have left a treasure of music until 1984 but became irrelevant in the music world afterwards.
Some Girls is one of my favorite albums of all time.
I know, funny to hear that from a person who said they are the most overrated band of all time.
But it is true. (IMO)
They still produced some good songs after Tattoo You.... of course... but they were farther and fewer in between. Like I say, pretty much every song people think of with Rolling Stones is off of just 3 albums. Maybe 4. They made 30!!
90% of what they wrote stinks.

Okay, here they are.

starting from about 1:45, you can already hear the BJ has listened to this album many times

1:45 of which one? I went to 1:45 of Elton John and that's the part where I'm hearing Chopin. Which is also an element in Joel's music, although not here. Would it not be accurate to say they're both influenced by Chopin in their development? Such as....

Actually what you've got there, at both 1:45 and 4:06 is the same theme, repeated. And it's particularly where it dips down into that minor chord that I hear the Chopin (which Joel's melody doesn't do). But no I don't hear one copying the other just because they use a similar bass progression, any more than we can call "Stairway to Heaven" a ripoff of "Taurus" on the same basis.

Last edited:

I know, funny to hear that from a person who said they are the most overrated band of all time.
But it is true. (IMO)
They still produced some good songs after Tattoo You.... of course... but they were farther and fewer in between. Like I say, pretty much every song people think of with Rolling Stones is off of just 3 albums. Maybe 4. They made 30!!
I always thought Gimme Shelter was their best work

But it is true. (IMO)
I always thought Gimme Shelter was their best work
Haha... yeah... which is a compilation of those 4 albums :D

Okay, here they are.

1:45 of which one? I went to 1:45 of Elton John and that's the part where I'm hearing Chopin. Which is also an element in Joel's music, although not here. Would it not be accurate to say they're both influenced by Chopin in their development? Such as....

My apologies...EJ at 1:45 & 4:06.

Forum List

Back