What Was The Best Decade For Music In History?

Which period or decade in music was the best in your opinion

• Classical period

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The 50s

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The 60s

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • The 70s

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The 80s

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • The 90s

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 2000-2010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010-2020

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The 70's has the most good songs by far.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade
Elton John and Billy Joel

An interesting phenomena...
If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

No, I don't hear that AT ALL. Never occurred to me, not once.
Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Okay, here they are.

Had to look up the EJ one, not familiar with it --- it's playing as I type and I'm hearing more Chopin than anything else. Give me some time markers.

You wanna hear some direct ripoffs, not counting Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant, check Joe South's direct "quote" of John Lennon's "Day in the Life" in his song "Hush" -- I think Deep Purple did it. Joe South did that a lot.

starting from about 1:45, you can already hear the BJ has listened to this album many times
4:06 is where BJ ripped off the melody.

1:45 of which one? I went to 1:45 of Elton John and that's the part where I'm hearing Chopin. Which is also an element in Joel's music, although not here. Would it not be accurate to say they're both influenced by Chopin in their development? Such as....

Actually what you've got there, at both 1:45 and 4:06 is the same theme, repeated. And it's particularly where it dips down into that minor chord that I hear the Chopin (which Joel's melody doesn't do). But no I don't hear one copying the other just because they use a similar bass progression, any more than we can call "Stairway to Heaven" a ripoff of "Taurus" on the same basis.

EJ never copied BJ.

Never been a fan of EJ, wouldn't know. But I just don't hear it here.

Wow! If you don't hear it starting from 4:06 I don't know how to respond.
Through the years I've played some of this to many people and I didn't even have to tell them that BJ was ripping off EJ.
It won't make any difference to their assets ($0.00) at this point in time.

I'm hearing two different themes with somewhat similar bass progressions. And I'm hearing Chopin in both of them. :dunno:

At 4:06?!
You're respect for BJ is affecting your perception of the obvious.

I'm listening to the notes.
One can always find similarities between two pieces of music, the question is to what degree.

It could be my respect for, I'll say it yet again, Chopin is affecting my perceptions. Is it possible they're both ripping off Chopin, at least in compositional approach? Because that's more what I hear here.

Is Ray Mazarek ripping off Blood Sweat and Tears here? Manzarek at 2:56

I wouldn't call that a ripoff, that's just a quick "quote", if it's even intentional.

These songs are prime examples of what most people call muzak.
I have no problem with album fillers sounding alike because nobody thinks they're going to be singles.
When a composer sites at a piano for 10 hours until a catchy melody emerges, that composer should well know whether or not the melody line is original.
I have the feeling that BJ was listening to so many different types of music that he didn't realize it wasn't original.
BJ also drank like a fish.

Country music all sounds the same.
They just change the friggen lyrics....

not early country.....the new stuff yes...

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade

If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Okay, here they are.

Had to look up the EJ one, not familiar with it --- it's playing as I type and I'm hearing more Chopin than anything else. Give me some time markers.

You wanna hear some direct ripoffs, not counting Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant, check Joe South's direct "quote" of John Lennon's "Day in the Life" in his song "Hush" -- I think Deep Purple did it. Joe South did that a lot.

starting from about 1:45, you can already hear the BJ has listened to this album many times

1:45 of which one? I went to 1:45 of Elton John and that's the part where I'm hearing Chopin. Which is also an element in Joel's music, although not here. Would it not be accurate to say they're both influenced by Chopin in their development? Such as....

Actually what you've got there, at both 1:45 and 4:06 is the same theme, repeated. And it's particularly where it dips down into that minor chord that I hear the Chopin (which Joel's melody doesn't do). But no I don't hear one copying the other just because they use a similar bass progression, any more than we can call "Stairway to Heaven" a ripoff of "Taurus" on the same basis.

EJ never copied BJ.

Through the years I've played some of this to many people and I didn't even have to tell them that BJ was ripping off EJ.

I'm hearing two different themes with somewhat similar bass progressions. And I'm hearing Chopin in both of them. :dunno:

One can always find similarities between two pieces of music, the question is to what degree.

It could be my respect for, I'll say it yet again, Chopin is affecting my perceptions. Is it possible they're both ripping off Chopin, at least in compositional approach? Because that's more what I hear here.

I wouldn't call that a ripoff, that's just a quick "quote", if it's even intentional.

I have no problem with album fillers sounding alike because nobody thinks they're going to be singles.
When a composer sites at a piano for 10 hours until a catchy melody emerges, that composer should well know whether or not the melody line is original.
I have the feeling that BJ was listening to so many different types of music that he didn't realize it wasn't original.

Garth Brooks sucks ass.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

I am a musician and it's clear as day.
The Philharmonic can play A Hard Day's Night and I know it's a Hard Day's Night.
BJ unconsciously took that part and thought it was a new composition.
I will presume that his band was not familiar with EJ's work and BJ's publisher didn't do his due diligence.

So am I, and given the relevant parts, I'm not hearing a ripoff. It's not necessary to have heard it before, as you yourself indicated. I don't think Joel's publisher needed a heads-up at all.

Is Ray Mazarek ripping off Al Kooper here? Manzarek at 2:56, BST entire theme. They're even in the same key....

I wouldn't call that a ripoff, that's just a quick "quote", if it's even intentional. Two bars and then off somewhere else.

Al Kooper should in the the so called HOF.....

Maybe. But definitely NOT for that song.

for the stuff he has done for rock .....

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

Garth Brooks sucks ass.

anyone from the last 30-40 years sucks ass.....

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

Garth Brooks sucks ass.

Huge entertainer, but without a series of writers and composers to write/compose things for him... he wouldn't be 1/10th what he is.

The classical period is the foundation upon which all modern music is based.

"Classical" is bigly vague. "Classical" what? It's an adjective. Sometimes it means "classic rock". Sometimes it means "dead white European males of the 17th-19th centuries".

Well since the OP divides the music of the Classical era from the music of the '60s and '70s . . . I don't follow your point.

Okay, here they are.

EJ never copied BJ.

Realy.
BOBBY GENTRY ! Something about this girl moved me. I wanted to bang her S bad as I wanted to bang Stevie Nick's. She was just so cool about doing her thing.. She sounds nothing like this completely different tempo completely different sound.

"Classical" is bigly vague. "Classical" what? It's an adjective. Sometimes it means "classic rock". Sometimes it means "dead white European males of the 17th-19th centuries".

Well since the OP divides the music of the Classical era from the music of the '60s and '70s . . . I don't follow your point.

Apparently neither does the OP since he never answered.
The point was clear enough. "Classic" is a vague catch-all adjective that can mean anything that isn't brand new. For instance I just switched my eBay page to "classic view".

The point was clear enough. "Classic" is a vague catch-all adjective that can mean anything that isn't brand new. For instance I just switched my eBay page to "classic view".

Why dissemble?

In my opinion, since the 1920s till today.....every single decade has musical gems. :)

Classical music is eternally beautiful of course, but that's different for me.

Realy.
BOBBY GENTRY ! Something about this girl moved me. I wanted to bang her S bad as I wanted to bang Stevie Nick's. She was just so cool about doing her thing.. She sounds nothing like this completely different tempo completely different sound.

Bobbie Gentry is/was an awesome superhuman talent. Sang, wrote, produced, played, choreographed, designed her costumes, if you told me she could perform brain surgery while flying a 747 it wouldn't surprise me. She produced her own material from the beginning but they wouldn't credit a girl in those daze.

Did you know she recorded in Japanese and competed in an Italian singing contest, had her own TV show on BBC and majored in Philosophy...

Most impressively when she was at her peak and could have written her own contract for literally any kind of medium --- she just walked away and never came back.

Fun fact: OTBJ was just a demo, in the can with a bunch of other songs played one-take live in the studio, that they put strings on and put out as a single. Cheapest production EVAH. And it knocked the Beatles out of the #1 spot.

Last edited:

Why dissemble?

One is tempted to say "some dissembly required" but it wouldn't be accurate.
There's no dissemblage at all up there. I laid out the question plain as day, for the OP who posted it.
Ball's in his court, not mine.

Forum List

Back