What Was The Best Decade For Music In History?

Which period or decade in music was the best in your opinion

• Classical period

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The 50s

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The 60s

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • The 70s

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The 80s

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • The 90s

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 2000-2010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010-2020

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
And BTW - this just might have been the greatest thing for music in the 20th century.... it changed everything. And opened the world to music no one knew existed, and smashed the shackles of corporate music.

View attachment 462709
You just gave away your age!
200?
eh?
200 years old.
Eh? - the 20th century was from 1901 - 2000
It's a joke.

The 70's has the most good songs by far.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade
Elton John and Billy Joel

An interesting phenomena...
If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.

Early 70s had some great songs and Elton John and Billy Joel emerged. Then came Disco and ruined the decade

If you listen to both of them you will realize how many melodies BJ ripped off from EJ.
I bet when they went on the Piano Men Tour, it was because EJ was threatening to sue BJ.
Who came first?

Who came first?
EJ, 1969.

Holy Cow Elton John. Early stuff was magnificent. Some garbage like Crocodile Rock, but man some great music.
But holy cow... his mental issues got the best of him and by the 90s he produced one bad album after another. Pure crap.
I will say the reason for that is he was nothing without Taupin.

....but the 80s changed America.
All the best bands peaked in the latter 60s to earlier part of the 1970s.
You owuld be surprised. I was born in 1965, and I am fully aware of bands that began in the 60s somewhere... and continued to even to the 2000s - there best stuff, and what radio stations play - is what they did back then, not after.

Well, that's great, I'm glad you understand that. But still not the same as having actually SEEN and been there for and during:
  • The Beatles
  • The Doors
  • Janis Joplin
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • King Crimson
  • The Who
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra
  • Pink Floyd
  • Iron Butterfly
  • Woodstock
  • Rush
  • Emerson, Lake & Palmer
  • Yes
  • Black Sabbath
and many others.
If it weren't for the "Died swallowing his own vomit" thing....that would have been a better decade.

Holy Cow Elton John. Early stuff was magnificent. Some garbage like Crocodile Rock, but man some great music.
But holy cow... his mental issues got the best of him and by the 90s he produced one bad album after another. Pure crap.
Once Elton got rich he started partying too much....so his music went to shit.

And BTW - this just might have been the greatest thing for music in the 20th century.... it changed everything. And opened the world to music no one knew existed, and smashed the shackles of corporate music.

View attachment 462709

What even IS that? :dunno:
If you don't know.... uh... I can't help you.... holy cow I hope you are kidding

So you don't know what it is, and you posted it anyway?

I've never seen that before. Have no idea where you're going with this.

View attachment 462709

What even IS that? :dunno:
If you don't know.... uh... I can't help you.... holy cow I hope you are kidding

So you don't know what it is, and you posted it anyway?

I've never seen that before. Have no idea where you're going with this.
I will give you a hint...Nap {Fill in the 2nd syllable)...

Most of his early hits were Elton just reciting Bernie Taupins lyrics.

It's a little bit funny
This feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money, but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live
If I was a sculptor, ha
But then again, no
Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show
I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song, and this one's for you
And you can tell everybody
This is your song
It may be quite simple, but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in the words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world

No, I don't hear that AT ALL. Never occurred to me, not once.
Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.

There were a lot of good disco songs. My second favorite song of all-time is "Funky Town" by Lipps Inc. I also really like "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire, "Car Wash" by Rose Royce, "Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward, "Get Off" by Foxy, "Turn the Beat Around" by Vicki Sue Robinson, and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson.

Last edited:

There were a lot of good disco songs. My second favorite song of all-time is "Funky Town" by Lipps Inc. I also really like "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire, "Car Wash" by Rose Royce, "Get Off" by Foxy, "Turn the Beat Around" by Vicki Sue Robinson, and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson.
The only credit I can give Disco is it brought back dancing.

40s swing had great dance moves
The 50s Bandstand had a new dance every week
Rock and the Twist killed dancing. Most Rock was just music to sit around and get stoned.
Disco brought back dancing

No, I don't hear that AT ALL. Never occurred to me, not once.
Elton John did mention Leon Russell as a strong influence, speaking of yet another artist not mentioned in the OP's list above, but I don't hear a musical similarity there either. Why don't you post us some comparative examples.

As for which "came first", I have a Billy Joel album (his first) that dates to 1971 for what it's worth.
For instance, listen to BJ's Movin' Out when he sings, "I'm movin' out", followed his piano solo...its' directly ripped off from EJ's long ass piano solo on the Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road's Funeral For A Friend.

I can't remember the name of the EJ song because I never listen to albums anymore.
I was actually shocked when I started getting into EJ 20 years ago and lost a bit of respect for BJ.

Forum List

Back