What Trump got right about the post9-11 world.

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
I saw this in politco this morning - interviews with W admin and others - as to what we got right and wrong.

And don't get me wrong, imo Trump was and is unsuited for the office, but that doesn't mean he was wrong about or for policy, he was more right than the three before him. And he was right about other stuff too, but thats's OT. That's no diss, btw, a lot of people have good ideas, but lack the temperament. Goldwater, Mitt Romney's dad, Jeanne Kilpatrick .... Pat Buchanan.

We never should have invaded Iraq over 9-11 because Iraq had nothing to do with it, nor did Iran for that matter. When Trump was president we were STILL fighting the spawn of the Sunni losers in Iraq who were ISIS in Syria. W actually made the 9-11 situation worse in creating more terrorists (its better to fight em there than here. LOL. How about not creating them to have fight them in the first place.) Trump wanted an end to that crap.

Trump also somehow knew, deep down, that Nato is lost. It's purpose was to defeat the Soviets. Like all institutions it seeks to live on in perpetuity. Reagan was certainly right in noting that whenever govt creates something, it's pretty impossible to shut it down. We still have the Tenn Valley Authority for god's sake.

The EU through Nato became embroiled in Afghan. W started out by starving that war for his Iraq misadventure. W plainly said we'd be in Afghan for a LONG time to nation build. the US has NEVER succeeded in that. Western europe rebuilt itself with US help after WWII, but they built their own societies, and they were democratically inclined anyway. Even the Soviets had "elections." Outside of Egypt, which was run by the Brit Empire (which was actually GOOD at nationbuilding) there aren't many democracies over there, and both Egypt and Iraq don't function as multi-ethincic/religious republics)

We shudda pulled the plug on Afgan when Obama was potus. I've wondered why he stayed. It was for nation building and the women, no doubt. And Biden was inconsistent back then. But would Obama have stayed if the EU and Nato were not so heavily invested with military and money? I don't know. It's odd that he pulled the plug on Iraq immediately, but lingered for 8 years in Afghan. And he's a muslim(-:

Trump knew we had to get out of there. He also knew Nato doesn't really serve a purpose. And in the end, it may be like all the European Alliances that led to WWI. It should have just been a regional conflict with Serbia and Austria.

I saw this in politco this morning - interviews with W admin and others - as to what we got right and wrong.

And don't get me wrong, imo Trump was and is unsuited for the office, but that doesn't mean he was wrong about or for policy, he was more right than the three before him. And he was right about other stuff too, but thats's OT. That's no diss, btw, a lot of people have good ideas, but lack the temperament. Goldwater, Mitt Romney's dad, Jeanne Kilpatrick .... Pat Buchanan.

We never should have invaded Iraq over 9-11 because Iraq had nothing to do with it, nor did Iran for that matter. When Trump was president we were STILL fighting the spawn of the Sunni losers in Iraq who were ISIS in Syria. W actually made the 9-11 situation worse in creating more terrorists (its better to fight em there than here. LOL. How about not creating them to have fight them in the first place.) Trump wanted an end to that crap.

Trump also somehow knew, deep down, that Nato is lost. It's purpose was to defeat the Soviets. Like all institutions it seeks to live on in perpetuity. Reagan was certainly right in noting that whenever govt creates something, it's pretty impossible to shut it down. We still have the Tenn Valley Authority for god's sake.

The EU through Nato became embroiled in Afghan. W started out by starving that war for his Iraq misadventure. W plainly said we'd be in Afghan for a LONG time to nation build. the US has NEVER succeeded in that. Western europe rebuilt itself with US help after WWII, but they built their own societies, and they were democratically inclined anyway. Even the Soviets had "elections." Outside of Egypt, which was run by the Brit Empire (which was actually GOOD at nationbuilding) there aren't many democracies over there, and both Egypt and Iraq don't function as multi-ethincic/religious republics)

We shudda pulled the plug on Afgan when Obama was potus. I've wondered why he stayed. It was for nation building and the women, no doubt. And Biden was inconsistent back then. But would Obama have stayed if the EU and Nato were not so heavily invested with military and money? I don't know. It's odd that he pulled the plug on Iraq immediately, but lingered for 8 years in Afghan. And he's a muslim(-:

Trump knew we had to get out of there. He also knew Nato doesn't really serve a purpose. And in the end, it may be like all the European Alliances that led to WWI. It should have just been a regional conflict with Serbia and Austria.
Clinton, Bush , and Obama, needed to keep the war machine going in their fragile economies. That is the progressive way in dealing with unemployed people.

911 was a complete farce perpetuated by YOUR owners.
Part 2 is Vaccines for all.
Part 3 will be iris scans for all
Part 4 will be death for those who make less than 10 million a year(unless you're a documented serf for those)
Part 5 will be the new mecca. Georgia guidestones

Trump wanted to do it? Why didn't he?

Biden did it.

I wonder when you guys will start praising Biden for doing what your blob couldn't do. My guess is never. Politics first....

Biden did it.

I wonder when you guys will start praising Biden for doing what your blob couldn't do. My guess is never. Politics first....
Trump had to fight off two impeachments...one of them while covid was spreading across the nation....four years of investigation and Trump was still a better leader than Joe will ever be.....

Biden did it.

Well, my intent for the thread was not blame anyone for anything. Imo Trump got a lot right, and not just on Afghan and Nato. But every president fails at something. Biden's execution of the pull out was not without mistake, but it's not nearly the debacle partisans want to claim.

I thought the politico interview piece was interesting ... incomplete, but its a huge topic. And my 26 yr old daughter mentioned that she and her Marine boyfriend watched an Afghan documentary on Netfilix last night. She was in first grade when 9-11 happened. My god. I was in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated. Just contemplating today's world is mind boggling.

Biden did it.

Not to be redundant, and not that this hasn't been posted time after time on the messageboard.
It just seems that the liberals willfully ignore the facts, but here it is for you once again.
Trump wanted to get out the proper way with putting stipulations on the Taliban, removing citizens. equipment,
and then the troops. Biden on the otherhand......and the world was watching the clusterfuck go down.

Trump had to fight off two impeachments...one of them while covid was spreading across the nation....four years of investigation and Trump was still a better leader than Joe will ever be.....
He mismanaged Covid during the last year of his disastrous presidency. He had 3 years to give an order to leave Afghanistan. He didn't do it.

The blob's a leader? Make me laugh harder.

Joe got it done. He fucked up the withdraw but it's done.

Not to be redundant, and not that this hasn't been posted time after time on the messageboard.
It just seems that the liberals willfully ignore the facts, but here it is for you once again.
Trump wanted to get out the proper way with putting stipulations on the Taliban, removing citizens. equipment,
and then the troops. Biden on the otherhand......and the world was watching the clusterfuck go down.
no he really didn't. But even to drag the neocons in the gop to sign an agreement is .... historical.

He mismanaged Covid during the last year of his disastrous presidency. He had 3 years to give an order to leave Afghanistan. He didn't do it.
Trump mismanaged covid???? that's ridiculous he got the vaccine in record time....and he didn't leave Afghanistan because he listened to his generals when they told him this would happen.....

The blob's a leader? Make me laugh harder.

He didn't mismanage Covid at all. Covid took over the world then and it is taking over the world now. It wasn't Trump's fault and it isn't Biden's either. It was what it was and it is what it is.

Well, my intent for the thread was not blame anyone for anything. Imo Trump got a lot right, and not just on Afghan and Nato. But every president fails at something. Biden's execution of the pull out was not without mistake, but it's not nearly the debacle partisans want to claim.

I thought the politico interview piece was interesting ... incomplete, but its a huge topic. And my 26 yr old daughter mentioned that she and her Marine boyfriend watched an Afghan documentary on Netfilix last night. She was in first grade when 9-11 happened. My god. I was in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated. Just contemplating today's world is mind boggling.
No worries. You laid out some good stuff.

NATO is needed now more than ever actually.

Trump did get one thing right....and few are as hard on Trump as I am here...Trump got one thing right in foreign policy.

I can't find the quote so I apologize in advance but Trump said during an interview (not sure if he was the President at the time) "We've got to get tougher" and it wasn't about our military; it was about the American people. If we're going to continue the next seven decades as we have done the last seven decades....we've got to get accustomed to the grotesque actions of what it means to be at war. And (now I'm reverting back ) I don't think Trump was comfortable with the grotesque actions. Hence the years of zero large scale actions over in Afghanistan and the resulting rise of the Taliban. Trump never wanted to make the phone calls to the families; he didn't have the stomach for it.

Trump mismanaged covid????
Yes.
that's ridiculous he got the vaccine in record time...
He spent 10 months undermining his own CDC at every turn; ignoring the same recommendations that they were putting out; often on the same day.
.and he didn't leave Afghanistan because he listened to his generals when they told him this would happen.....
Thank you.

Biden made the tough call your blob was too scared to make.

and then the troops.
He had 4 years to do that. He failed.
Biden on the otherhand......and the world was watching the clusterfuck go down.
And my response was...

I'm not sure Biden could have done it without Trump's agreement. Trump was too personally uncivil to Obama to expect any praise, and Trump wanting a nobel moment photo op at Camp David with killers of our military was .. I could have puked ... but still ... overall he did a good thing.

Forum List

Back