“What Republican can win 270 electoral votes in 2016?”

It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that dimwitted Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

If what you said were true...I'd be voting Republican.

......not because of liberl policies and legislation.....

.......we are not being swallowed by debt.....

......our standing in the world is better now than 5 years ago......

.........nobody is being made a slave to entitlements.....

........American morality is just fine......

.....Democrats are no more interested in winning elections than Republicans.....

Nope. Nothing you said was true. Way to go!

True.

To believe otherwise is ignorant idiocy.

It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that dimwitted Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

If what you said were true...I'd be voting Republican.

......not because of liberl policies and legislation.....

.......we are not being swallowed by debt.....

......our standing in the world is better now than 5 years ago......

.........nobody is being made a slave to entitlements.....

........American morality is just fine......

.....Democrats are no more interested in winning elections than Republicans.....

Nope. Nothing you said was true. Way to go!

What color is the sky in your world?

Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever? - The Daily Beast

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.

This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

Personally, I think McCain and Palin will do fine in 2016. :cool:

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.
This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

I don't know what will happen in 2016, but if the election was held today the GOP could nominate Palin and win in a landslide.

Oh dear god be serious.

I don't know what will happen in 2016, but if the election was held today the GOP could nominate Palin and win in a landslide.

Oh dear god be serious.

He is serious.

This QW is an interesting character. He's educated......and he's got some depth of thought going on. But.....he has some glitch when it comes to grasping the way that politicians are perceived by others.

Who is the smartest person you know....personally or otherwise....who expresses a desire to have Sarah Palin lead this nation? In my case, it might be QW. Because I cannot think of another educated person who does.

The dude really thinks Palin is a viable choice....AND....he thinks that there are enough nutjobs out there to actually nominate her. It mystifies.

I'm thinking America will be ready for a serious, prudent and forthright President, a leader.

Gov. Jed Bush, Senator John Thune, Gov. Bob McDonnell are interesting.

The Republican Party has a wealth of talent. The Rino upper crust chooses ... unwisely.

[

You see, I don't necessarily buy that.

If anything, the GOP has played the "Well, we need to nominate a moderate" game and lost every time they've tried it. Romney, McCain, Dole.

The only successful candidates the GOP has had since I've been voting have been when they ran unapologetic conservatives- Reagan and Dubya Bush.

I do think the GOP needs to push hard for either eliminating the EC or making the EC Proportional in swing states.

But what they really, really need to do is the following.

1) Regain the mantle of competency. Show they can get things done. This means ending the kneejerk oppossition to everything Obama is for.

As an aside, they also have a lot of governors- Walker, Christie, Pence, Kasich - who can run and say, "See, I turned things around in my state and can do so for the whole country."

2) Get right with Working Folks. - Can't emphasize this enough. In the middle of the worst recession in 80 years, you don't nominate some idiot who says, "I like to be able to fire people!" The image the GOP is on the side of the rich hurts them more than their conservatism.

3) Standing up to the Crazy- There are a lot of crazy voices in the GOP right now, from Talk Radio to fringe characters in congress like Rand Paul. You really can stand up to these people without losing your conservative street cred.

I'm thinking America will be ready for a serious, prudent and forthright President, a leader.

Gov. Jed Bush, Senator John Thune, Gov. Bob McDonnell are interesting.

The Republican Party has a wealth of talent. The Rino upper crust chooses ... unwisely.

Jeb is toast because his name is Bush. That brand name has been ruined.

McDonnell is so emersed in his current scandals that he's taking down Cuccinelli with him.

John Thune- Does the GOP really need to nominate another Senator? That never works out well for them. When Congress has single digit approval ratings, you don't go to Congress for your nominee.

I did read a very interesting profile on IN Governor Pence, who might be a strong candidate.

Scott Walker would also be a strong candidate.

Chris Christie might be a strong candidate, but he ruined his street cred with Republicans by embracing Obama.

I don't think any Republican is interested in advice from mindless, welfare-loving liberals like the ones on this forum.

I don't think any Republican is interested in advice from mindless, welfare-loving liberals like the ones on this forum.

They should be.

From 1980 to 2008, I voted pretty reliably Republican.

Then my Romney-Loving boss showed me the true meaning of Christmas, and I've been voting for Democrats every since.

They really should look how they went from winning 49-state victories to not even being able to clear 200 Electoral votes. How and when did they start losing middle America.

A guy like Obama never would have gotten my vote 20 years ago. Last year, he did. Yeah, part of that is because I really hate Mormons, but to a larger degree, they've lost middle America.

They should be.

From 1980 to 2008, I voted pretty reliably Republican.

Then my Romney-Loving boss showed me the true meaning of Christmas, and I've been voting for Democrats every since.

They really should look how they went from winning 49-state victories to not even being able to clear 200 Electoral votes. How and when did they start losing middle America.

A guy like Obama never would have gotten my vote 20 years ago. Last year, he did. Yeah, part of that is because I really hate Mormons, but to a larger degree, they've lost middle America.
If you voted for Reagan, then Obama, you obviously don't know wtf you're talking about.

[
If you voted for Reagan, then Obama, you obviously don't know wtf you're talking about.

No, the real problem is, Ronald Reagan wouldn't be welcomed in today's Republican Party.

The REAL Ronald Reagan-

Appointed moderates to 2 of his 3 SCOTUS nominations.
Gave amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens.
Raised taxes after cutting them. (Hense, why Bush gave his "Read my lips" pledge.)
Expanded government
Failed to disband any of the agencies he promised to disband.

In short, the Real Ronald Reagan would be the RINO Ronald Reagan.

So you whacks make up a mythical Ronald Reagan. The one who won the Cold War. (Although that didn't end until Bush-41).

[

No, the real problem is, Ronald Reagan wouldn't be welcomed in today's Republican Party.

The REAL Ronald Reagan-

Appointed moderates to 2 of his 3 SCOTUS nominations.
Gave amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens.
Raised taxes after cutting them. (Hense, why Bush gave his "Read my lips" pledge.)
Expanded government
Failed to disband any of the agencies he promised to disband.

In short, the Real Ronald Reagan would be the RINO Ronald Reagan.

So you whacks make up a mythical Ronald Reagan. The one who won the Cold War. (Although that didn't end until Bush-41).
He appointed S.C. justices based on qualifications, not litmus tests like Democrats do. He followed the Constitution, something you wouldn't understand.

Gave amnesty, yes, with an agreement to strengthen the borders, which Democrats have undermined ever since.

Reluctantly agreed to let Congress raise taxes on alcohol and tobacco (sin taxes), not income as part of a deal to cut spending 2 to 1. The Democrats raised the taxes, then refused to honor their commitment to cut spending (like they always do). Reagan's biggest mistake as President was believing Democrats were honorable people and would keep their word about anything.

You're right about government expanding under Reagan (as it has with ALL presidents).

It was Reagan's policies that brought down the Soviet Empire, even Bush 41 acknowledges that. As I said, you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Personally, I think McCain and Palin will do fine in 2016. :cool:

McCain actually made a pretty respectable showing, considering he had little support from the RNC establishment, was hated by the MSM, and had relatively little money, pocket change, really. Don't know how he would fare now, though.

Palin? .... nah; she's a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

It's a good thing Republicans don't believe that winning elections is all that truly matters.

And they keep showing it by getting stomped on during Presidential elections.

McCain was promoted by the media for the purpose of having someone easy to defeat. He was too stupid to know he was being set up.

Due to changing demographics and Red State/Blue State alignments there is no way for a Republican candidate to get 270 electoral votes

Forum List

Back