“What Republican can win 270 electoral votes in 2016?”

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever? - The Daily Beast

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.

This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

Today? Almost anyone. After three more years of obama world class fuck ups? Any republican would.

The democrat brand is just starting its disintegration. Give it awhile.

It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that dimwitted Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

Last edited:
Today? Almost anyone. After three more years of obama world class fuck ups? Any republican would.

The democrat brand is just starting its disintegration. Give it awhile.
and tonight's secret word is........ democratic. Let's see if our contestants can get it right.

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.

This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

The problem for those republicans who want their party back is they’re on the back of a tiger; the fear of being primaried is just too great.

However crazy or irresponsible a given republican incumbent might be, there’s someone back home even more crazy and more irresponsible ready to take the incumbent’s place.

It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

Ahh, bring back those golden moral moments in time in the US when:

1. men could and should beat their wives, children, dogs and their meat with immunity.

2. men could kill an animal for food, kill an Indian, kill a black man, kill a slant eye and kill each other with impunity.

3. men could rape a woman, rape a slave and rape a sheep all with nonliabilty.

4. men could be the only voters, invade and loot, drink and do drugs from the pharmacy and preach from the pulpit with privilege

It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

1. men could and should beat their wives, children, dogs and their meat with immunity.

2. men could kill an animal for food, kill an Indian, kill a black man, kill a slant eye and kill each other with impunity.

4. men could be the only voters, invade and loot, drink and do drugs from the pharmacy and preach from the pulpit with privilege

It's alright, you don't have to live in the here and now...you're a Democrat.

We in the GOP will change by reaching out to women, Hispanics and other minorities, and put away the social traditionalist agenda.

Simply this: there are far more votes to court successfully than what we lose with pissy older white far right conservatives.

Get over it, guys: it is happening now, and you will love Christie, regardless of what you think now.

We in the GOP will change by reaching out to women, Hispanics and other minorities, and put away the social traditionalist agenda.

Simply this: there are far more votes to court successfully than what we lose with pissy older white far right conservatives.

Get over it, guys: it is happening now, and you will love Christie, regardless of what you think now.

I figure the country has to completely fail before it's renewed and rebalanced, soooo why not.

It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that dimwitted Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

If what you said were true...I'd be voting Republican.

......not because of liberl policies and legislation.....

.......we are not being swallowed by debt.....

......our standing in the world is better now than 5 years ago......

.........nobody is being made a slave to entitlements.....

........American morality is just fine......

.....Democrats are no more interested in winning elections than Republicans.....

Nope. Nothing you said was true. Way to go!

.....Democrats are no more interested in winning elections than Republicans.....

Reality alludes You...enjoy...:lol:

It's alright, you don't have to live in the here and now...you're a Democrat.

Liberal democrat at that!

this countries government is corrupt and they all want to invade our privacy, but that started many years ago.

And -- In spite of the hard work of the Rs, there has been positive job growth and lessening of the debt.

The Rs govern with tantrums and blackmail. They continue to pretend they can repeal/defund the ACA and waste money with phony votes. Every day, more lies fro the right and people know that.

But, its true that some people get their information from fox and if they don't look at anything else, its possible they could believe the daily lies. There are also people who hate that black commie kenyan muslin so much, they'll happily vote against what's best for their own children an grand children. Unbelievable I know, but read the posts here and the same ones who despise Obama for being a "commie" just love Putin the commie. They really are THAT dumb.

But, hopefully, there are still not enough of these fools to win 270 electoral votes.

It's three years to the next election. Where are Americans looking for help? Edward Snowden to call the government to account and President Putin to bring it to heel.

I don't know what will happen in 2016, but if the election was held today the GOP could nominate Palin and win in a landslide.

I despise both 'parties', both of them need to collapse, but currently it looks like Cruz or Jindal would top the list; not that the RNC cares much what the rank and file thinks any more than the DNC cares about its own rank and file.

It will pretty much have to be a southerner or westerner. I don't think the Republican leadership actually wants the White House, for the same reasons nobody really wants to be a mafia godfather any more. The coming mid-terms result will be mildly interesting, as they will probably guide the 2016 elections.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back