What it is like to be a patriot?

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
Ok, what do we know about the term "patriot"? One who loves his or her country and supports its authority interests and fights for country? Ok, maybe.
But what does it really mean today? I mean, what is meant by the term to be patriotic? Is it like to be a soldier and blindly follow the orders? Or be one of big politicians and cover the dirty work "for the good of the country's" slogan?
What it is really like?

I define my patriotism by slamming the living hell out of my country when ever it's naughty.

Unfortunately, as with many terms, the term patriot has been coopted by non-patriots to mean always supporting the government no matter what. Curious then why we have a 2nd Amendment but for the possibilitiy of tyrannical governments coming to be which need to be brought down by those they govern.

Can't help but roll my eyes when I hear politicos saying how they support people's rights to oppose and even overthrow the government through peaceful means, but not violently. How else does one overthrow a tyranny?

While the government of the United States isn't a tyranny, it's not good either. But I can't help but worry about it along the lines of dropping a frog into apot of boiling water, vs raising the water's temperature gradually. Any sudden and quick cessation of rights and liberties would be opposed, probably violently so we don't see that happening. Yet we do see gradual cessation of rights and liberties over the span of years.

It has nothing to do with waving flags or spouting slogans. My country right or wrong is not being patriotic

It means being willing to risk all to stand up for what is right.

Vietnam war protesters were patriots
Civil rights protesters were patriots

It has nothing to do with waving flags or spouting slogans. My country right or wrong is not being patriotic

The only problem with that is agreeing on what is right.

Ok, what do we know about the term "patriot"? One who loves his or her country and supports its authority interests and fights for country? Ok, maybe.
But what does it really mean today? I mean, what is meant by the term to be patriotic? Is it like to be a soldier and blindly follow the orders? Or be one of big politicians and cover the dirty work "for the good of the country's" slogan?
What it is really like?
Patriotism in America has been redefined since the end of WWII. In the past 65 years or so, Americans have become a much divided citizenry, with self-serving agendas, and little thought or appreciation for our founding principles. It's no longer flag, honor, freedom, pride, and one nation one people. We've become more of a nation concerned with self than concerned with country. We still raise the flag, celebrate the 4th of July, but it's not the same patriotism as it was pre 1950's. We no longer fight for justice, freedom, rights, and equal representation. We've become passive, negligent, apathetic, and centered more on blame than solutions. Our country takes a backseat to "self".

A true patriot stands with a country, not against it. A true patriot fights for all the right things, and challenges anyone or anything that threatens the foundation of independence, justice, freedom, and equal representation. A true patriot is willing to sacrifice all in order to preserve the principles of one nation, one people, and one flag. So much of that has been lost over the years, and now a patriot is anything from a natural born citizen to someone standing in the streets shouting and supporting our enemies. Patriotism is sacred to those that have realized the blessings of a free nation, and freedom from an oppressive government.

In America, patriotism is being redefined, not only by the citizens, but by the very government that we've entrusted with protecting the very foundation of democracy. We're asked to be patriotic and to love and honor country, even when country shames every principle of freedom and democracy. In today's America, a patriot is merely one that votes, pays taxes, and dwells within their own little bubble of existence. We no longer have fighting patriots that challenge the establishment, nor questions absolute authority. We obey, resign ourselves to be submissive servants of the state, and remain relatively silent to oppressive measures imposed by the government. So, what is a patriot? One would have to research history to see the meaning of true patriotism and real patriots. It's doubtful that one could find many examples on the streets of today's America.

What it is really like?

I see patriotism in terms of supporting the ideals of my country, but not doing so blindly. It can be a difficult task, what with the reflexive anti-American attitudes of so much of the left and the jingoism of so much of the right, but I do believe I manage well enough.

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

What it is really like?
Patriotism in America has been redefined since the end of WWII. In the past 65 years or so, Americans have become a much divided citizenry, with self-serving agendas, and little thought or appreciation for our founding principles. It's no longer flag, honor, freedom, pride, and one nation one people. We've become more of a nation concerned with self than concerned with country. We still raise the flag, celebrate the 4th of July, but it's not the same patriotism as it was pre 1950's. We no longer fight for justice, freedom, rights, and equal representation. We've become passive, negligent, apathetic, and centered more on blame than solutions. Our country takes a backseat to "self".

A true patriot stands with a country, not against it. A true patriot fights for all the right things, and challenges anyone or anything that threatens the foundation of independence, justice, freedom, and equal representation. A true patriot is willing to sacrifice all in order to preserve the principles of one nation, one people, and one flag. So much of that has been lost over the years, and now a patriot is anything from a natural born citizen to someone standing in the streets shouting and supporting our enemies. Patriotism is sacred to those that have realized the blessings of a free nation, and freedom from an oppressive government.

In America, patriotism is being redefined, not only by the citizens, but by the very government that we've entrusted with protecting the very foundation of democracy. We're asked to be patriotic and to love and honor country, even when country shames every principle of freedom and democracy. In today's America, a patriot is merely one that votes, pays taxes, and dwells within their own little bubble of existence. We no longer have fighting patriots that challenge the establishment, nor questions absolute authority. We obey, resign ourselves to be submissive servants of the state, and remain relatively silent to oppressive measures imposed by the government. So, what is a patriot? One would have to research history to see the meaning of true patriotism and real patriots. It's doubtful that one could find many examples on the streets of today's America.

Well written

Were these Vietnam war protesters the real patriots? Who they were and what were they standing for?

Forum List

Back