What Is Your Opinion Of Snake Handling In The Church?

I know....it was probably the Roman emperor Constantine. He's the guy who picked the winter solstice and vernal equinox for Jesus' b'day and Easter. The Pagans were already using them as holidays so it was convenient to do it that way....or were you aware of that? Those were the two most important Sun god Holidays. Just think....those Pagans actually providing the dates for the two most important Christian holidays. You did know about Constantine and The Council of Nicea I suppose. They decided which scripture to include and which to omit from the new testament. They really started a thing back then....the priests got their pick of the young alter boys and it carried on for all this time. What a load of bullshit and you people accept it without even understanding it.

The council of Nicea did not address the Biblical canon at all. They defined what "Christianity" was with the Nicean Creed and debated Arianism. They never even discussed what books would be included in the New Testament. Good Christ...once again popping off about shit you know nothing about.

I don't know where you get your information but you should look around and find a more reliable place. The history I studied told it the way I posted it. Were You There? DUMBASS!!

I know....it was probably the Roman emperor Constantine. He's the guy who picked the winter solstice and vernal equinox for Jesus' b'day and Easter. The Pagans were already using them as holidays so it was convenient to do it that way....or were you aware of that? Those were the two most important Sun god Holidays. Just think....those Pagans actually providing the dates for the two most important Christian holidays. You did know about Constantine and The Council of Nicea I suppose. They decided which scripture to include and which to omit from the new testament. They really started a thing back then....the priests got their pick of the young alter boys and it carried on for all this time. What a load of bullshit and you people accept it without even understanding it.

The council of Nicea did not address the Biblical canon at all. They defined what "Christianity" was with the Nicean Creed and debated Arianism. They never even discussed what books would be included in the New Testament. Good Christ...once again popping off about shit you know nothing about.

I don't know where you get your information but you should look around and find a more reliable place. The history I studied told it the way I posted it. Were You There? DUMBASS!!

Usually I don't accept Wiki as a reliable source but I am going to make an exception in your case, Campbell because it's about as advanced as your brain can handle, and I don't have time to go searching for other sources.

The agenda of the synod included:

1. The Arian question regarding the relationship between God the Father and the Son (not only in his incarnate form as Jesus, but also in his nature before the creation of the world); i.e., are the Father and Son one in divine purpose only or also one in being?
  2. The date of celebration of Pascha/Easter
  3. The Meletian schism
  4. Various matters of church discipline, which resulted in twenty canons
    1. Church structures: focused on the ordering of the episcopacy
    2. Dignity of the clergy: issues of ordination at all levels and of suitability of behavior and background for clergy
    3. Reconciliation of the lapsed: establishing norms for public repentance and penance
    4. Readmission to the Church of heretics and schismatics: including issues of when reordination and/or rebaptism were to be required
    5. Liturgical practice: including the place of deacons, and the practice of standing at prayer during liturgy
    First Council of Nicaea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
THEY NEVER DISCUSSED SCRIPTURE AT THE COUNCIL OF NICEA. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Learn something before you talk.

Usually I don't accept Wiki as a reliable source but I am going to make an exception in your case, Campbell because it's about as advanced as your brain can handle, and I don't have time to go searching for other sources.

1. The Arian question regarding the relationship between God the Father and the Son (not only in his incarnate form as Jesus, but also in his nature before the creation of the world); i.e., are the Father and Son one in divine purpose only or also one in being?
  3. The Meletian schism
    2. Dignity of the clergy: issues of ordination at all levels and of suitability of behavior and background for clergy
    3. Reconciliation of the lapsed: establishing norms for public repentance and penance
    4. Readmission to the Church of heretics and schismatics: including issues of when reordination and/or rebaptism were to be required
    5. Liturgical practice: including the place of deacons, and the practice of standing at prayer during liturgy
THEY NEVER DISCUSSED SCRIPTURE AT THE COUNCIL OF NICEA. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Learn something before you talk.

I know that these books and writings were omitted from the bibles of today:

. Epistle of Barnabas

3. The Meletian schism

. Epistle of Barnabas
Says who?

3. The Meletian schism

. Epistle of Barnabas

Yeah those and about 100 more, but it wasn't Constantine that banished them and it didn't happen at the Council of Nicea. It was a progression that happened over decades. See here's the problem Campbell. You have an opinion, but you have no actual knowledge about this subject. You don't even know the basics. You know...you sit here and talk about Constantine and the Council of Nicea and you don't even know what they were all about.

I have no problem with someone who disagrees with me. That's totally fine, but know what the fuck you are talking about.Other posters have something to offer because they disagree and know their shit so they can offer a perspective that is based in logic and historical accuracy. From that everyone can grow and learn more. You don't even have the basics down. I mean you fail to grasp even the most fundamental concepts. You don't even know what happened and when it happened so you can't possibly opine on why it happened and what the fallout was.

What you need to do is shut the fuck up and start learning from those who DO know. I can give you a list of theist and atheist posters who actually do know what they are talking about. Look to Meriweather, JakeStarkey, Avatar4321, TrinityPower, Derideo_Te, sealybobo, TimothysAlaska and myself. That group knows what they are talking about. You don't. You need to shut the fuck up, ask questions of those more knowledgeable than yourself and learn. THEN you can talk.

3. The Meletian schism

. Epistle of Barnabas

Yeah those and about 100 more, but it wasn't Constantine that banished them and it didn't happen at the Council of Nicea. It was a progression that happened over decades. See here's the problem Campbell. You have an opinion, but you have no actual knowledge about this subject. You don't even know the basics. You know...you sit here and talk about Constantine and the Council of Nicea and you don't even know what they were all about.

I have no problem with someone who disagrees with me. That's totally fine, but know what the fuck you are talking about.Other posters have something to offer because they disagree and know their shit so they can offer a perspective that is based in logic and historical accuracy. From that everyone can grow and learn more. You don't even have the basics down. I mean you fail to grasp even the most fundamental concepts. You don't even know what happened and when it happened so you can't possibly opine on why it happened and what the fallout was.

What you need to do is shut the fuck up and start learning from those who DO know. I can give you a list of theist and atheist posters who actually do know what they are talking about. Look to Meriweather, JakeStarkey, Avatar4321, TrinityPower, Derideo_Te, sealybobo, TimothysAlaska and myself. That group knows what they are talking about. You don't. You need to shut the fuck up, ask questions of those more knowledgeable than yourself and learn. THEN you can talk.

I've learned enough. I retired to the lake 22 years ago:

DockSept2015.jpg

TreyBoat02.jpg

I think that handling snakes just may be testing God. I read the Mark passage that God protects his people from dangers in the world, snakes and poisons are mentioned. This isn't a call to take poison and pick up deadly snakes. In other words, you don't go looking for trouble. You don't go out of your way to court danger. I think the Mark passage means God protects his people as they follow Him and encounter dangers from the enemy. I don't think you prove your trust in God by messing with poisons.

I think it's in Luke where Jesus says do not put God to the test.

But that's not what it says:

Mark 16:17-18
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Do you believe or not?
My belief is not the issue. The full passage does not change my reading of it. Casting out demons with the help of the Lord, trusting that He will work through you to remove the demon for the good of the person afflicted is a far cry from walking up to a snake, picking it up and daring the snake to bite you.

In Matthew when the devil told Jesus to throw himself off a cliff and be caught by angels to prove He is the Son of God, Jesus did not. We are supposed to act like Jesus, not the devil.

So did Saint Mark have it screwed up? I'll bet the virgin birth and savior of the world stuff falls into the same category.
Ho hum. You didn't prevail in a polite discussion on scripture so you needle Catholic faith.

Did anyone one say anything about handling of statues?

Some believe that to "take up serpents" is a form of religious expression. In the King James Bible, Mark 16:18 says, "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them."

This pastor and his followers believe that God calls upon them to handle venomous serpents and to drink other poisons. Even if they are bitten, they will refuse medical treatment because they believe that they are worthy of God's faith, and that their fate is in God's hands:

Snake-Handling Pastor Dies From Rattlesnake Bite

abc_jamie_coots_ll_131121_16x9_992.jpg

If stupid people want to do stupid things and make the world a little less stupid one person at a time, who am I to complain?

A compassionate person who doesn't want people to do stupid things but instead encourages them to learn and grow and become wise?

Some believe that to "take up serpents" is a form of religious expression. In the King James Bible, Mark 16:18 says, "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them."

This pastor and his followers believe that God calls upon them to handle venomous serpents and to drink other poisons. Even if they are bitten, they will refuse medical treatment because they believe that they are worthy of God's faith, and that their fate is in God's hands:

Snake-Handling Pastor Dies From Rattlesnake Bite

abc_jamie_coots_ll_131121_16x9_992.jpg

If stupid people want to do stupid things and make the world a little less stupid one person at a time, who am I to complain?

A compassionate person who doesn't want people to do stupid things but instead encourages them to learn and grow and become wise?

Well, if people do stupid things, it's their problem. I'm too old to be thinking that I can stop people doing stupid things. I will tell people what I know, what I've experienced, teach them stuff, and if they still do stupid stuff, oh well.... that's the way it goes.

Campbell, in light of his postings about things he does not know, gives us one personal instance of the the truthfulness "people are relentlessly stupid." Blue Phantom gave good advice. Let's see if Campbell takes it.

Moses may have handled snakes. But I doubt he danced and pranced across the sands and stones of the Sinai praising Jesus. Oh, that's right: Jesus had not been born yet.

And if the Risen Lord ever attended a snake-handling church service in Appalachia or wherever, He might well have said, "People are relentlessly stupid."

Fundamentalist Christians should begin playing with Black Mambas and Taipans as a test to prove their devotion to God...
black+mamba+flkr+viperskin.jpg

Last edited:
All real Christians should handle snakes on Sundays to prove how much they love the baby jesus

Forum List

Back