What Is the Word of Faith Movement?

This is wild stuff and absolutely new to me.

The Word of Faith (WF) movement emerged within Charismatic/Pentecostal Christianity in the latter 20th century. The Word of Faith movement as a whole has no formal organization or authoritarian hierarchy, though the movement does have a number of high-profile teachers who heavily influence Word of Faith theology. It's basic theology is a peculiar mix of orthodox Christianity and mysticism.

Kenneth Hagin is often referred to as the "father" of the Word of Faith movement, but in reality it was Phineas Parkhurst Quimby (1802-1866) who laid the foundations. It was Quimby's metaphysical teachings that influenced E.W. Kenyon, and it was E.W. Kenyon's teachings that in turn influenced Kenneth Hagin. Most prominent Word of Faith teachers today draw their inspiration from Kenneth Hagin.

The "force" of faith, an unbiblical view of faith, is the foundation of Word of Faith theology. Proponents believe they can use words to manipulate the faith-force, and thus actually create what they believe Scripture promises (health, wealth, etc.). Laws supposedly governing the faith-force are said to operate independently of God's sovereign will -- God Himself being subject to the "laws" of faith.

Doctrines considered essential by historic Christianity are not necessarily considered essentials in Word of Faith theology. Word of Faith teachers often redefine or reinterpret Christian essentials in order to fit them into their own peculiar theological systems. These reinterpretations are often derived from "revelation knowledge" (i.e. special revelations supposedly from God, given specifically to the WF teacher).

Placing "revelation knowledge" above Scripture is one reason why WF teachers often blatantly contradict Scripture (and often each other). For example, one WF teacher, when speaking of God said, there are nine of them; and yet another WF teacher, when speaking of Jesus said, I (Jesus) never claimed to be God.

Word of Faith teachers are notorious for teaching everything from the heretical to the downright ridiculous.

continued.​
I don't think WF will catch on.
I beg to differ here. There's already millions of adherents to the "prosperity gospel" message, and many of them are actual believers in Christ.
I don't think it's the same thing. The idea that God wants his followers to be healthy and prosperous doesn't override Biblical teaching.

WOF preachers tell their congregants that if they had more faith, they wouldn't have cancer.

I think you're right, but I'm hoping an adherent will explain it from their point of view. Looks like no one wants to either admit or deny that.

The Word of Faith (WF) movement emerged within Charismatic/Pentecostal Christianity in the latter 20th century. The Word of Faith movement as a whole has no formal organization or authoritarian hierarchy, though the movement does have a number of high-profile teachers who heavily influence Word of Faith theology. It's basic theology is a peculiar mix of orthodox Christianity and mysticism.

Kenneth Hagin is often referred to as the "father" of the Word of Faith movement, but in reality it was Phineas Parkhurst Quimby (1802-1866) who laid the foundations. It was Quimby's metaphysical teachings that influenced E.W. Kenyon, and it was E.W. Kenyon's teachings that in turn influenced Kenneth Hagin. Most prominent Word of Faith teachers today draw their inspiration from Kenneth Hagin.

The "force" of faith, an unbiblical view of faith, is the foundation of Word of Faith theology. Proponents believe they can use words to manipulate the faith-force, and thus actually create what they believe Scripture promises (health, wealth, etc.). Laws supposedly governing the faith-force are said to operate independently of God's sovereign will -- God Himself being subject to the "laws" of faith.

Doctrines considered essential by historic Christianity are not necessarily considered essentials in Word of Faith theology. Word of Faith teachers often redefine or reinterpret Christian essentials in order to fit them into their own peculiar theological systems. These reinterpretations are often derived from "revelation knowledge" (i.e. special revelations supposedly from God, given specifically to the WF teacher).

Placing "revelation knowledge" above Scripture is one reason why WF teachers often blatantly contradict Scripture (and often each other). For example, one WF teacher, when speaking of God said, there are nine of them; and yet another WF teacher, when speaking of Jesus said, I (Jesus) never claimed to be God.

Word of Faith teachers are notorious for teaching everything from the heretical to the downright ridiculous.

continued.​
AKA "the prosperity gospel"

continued.​
I beg to differ here. There's already millions of adherents to the "prosperity gospel" message, and many of them are actual believers in Christ.
I don't think it's the same thing. The idea that God wants his followers to be healthy and prosperous doesn't override Biblical teaching.

WOF preachers tell their congregants that if they had more faith, they wouldn't have cancer.
Well, that's just wrong.

lol another rubbish thread whining about rich pastors, as if any of you give away a fraction of what you earn to any real charities. Unlike your racist Democrats and your Uncle Joe, they don't have to extort money, they just ask for it. And, the 'Word of Faith'movement is not the same as 'prosperity gospel' stuff.

But, you're all happy with being morons and spreading lies, same with your butt cheeks, so go ahead and make up some more stuff, base on a couple of preachers who actually got caught at something versus most of them who have done nothing to justify the smears, but they committed a horrible crime by not pretending faggots and assorted other deviants and fetishists are 'normal'.

Are you familiar with these people? Defending them?

I don't have to 'defend' them, they haven't done anything wrong. You finding some hit piece isn't a charge. Find something specific instead of babbling rumor and innuendo. Many of them follow Billy Graham's lead and stop taking money from their ministries as soon as their other incomes from books and speaking fees allows them to live independently of the ministry. I'm not a fan of theirs but they are basically just a sect based on positive thinking, no different than the secular versions.

And yes, I'm familiar with a couple of them's charity work. I'm not familiar with yours.

Again, You tell us what the major tenants are. Does giving automatically result in getting?

I already did. Your second question is irrelevant, All you need for that is to read their books and sermons. Too much work for you so we can dismiss your whining for what it is, jealousy and a hate for their lack of enthusiasm for whatever sexual fetish it is you feel bad about .

Got it. You got nothing.

Got it, t was you making unfounded claims you couldn't back up, idiot; that's why you avoid getting to any specifics and names; you know you don't have a clue and are just a sick troll.

Prosperity gospel is a prominent part of the Word of Faith movement. Duplantis, Copeland, Osteen, that crazy Meyer woman, too many to list here.

lol so quote some specifics; and, Osteen for one hasn't taken a dime from his ministry since 2005; he also funds his own speaking tours, renting the stadiums. paying for the security and insurance, etc.,etc out of his own pocket. You don't know where any of them get their money, or how they dispose of it, but I do.

The biggest one who does take a salary from his ministry is Benny Hinn, he does take a salary, some $3 mil to $5 mil some years, but he also turns over all his royalties from sales of his books, tours, whatever, to the ministry. Since he is the franchise, so to speak, and generates on average around $120 million a year, he's getting paid maybe 3% of his earnings. Do you live on 3% of yours and give the rest away? lol of course not, that meth and breakfast beer budget is a killer. I'm not a fan of faith healers but he is one lousy crook if he's only paying himself 3%.

Osteen? Just google scholar up his average book advance from publishers like Warner Books, and he has been paid over $300 million or more, just in advances, not including royalties over those advances. His current personal net worth is less than a third of that, so he's also giving away quite chunk of it. like paying off the church's construction bonds and funding all kinds of programs for church members, for starters. Again, he's a pretty dumb crook if he is one, which of course he's obviously not. He also hardly ever says a thing about sending him money or claiming sending any money will give anybody a big return. You wouldn't know that because like the OP you get your info from bitchy little faggots and assorted mentally ill deviants. Some are crooks,but they're few and get caught. As a group they're a lot less crooked than you are, and most certainly not even remotely as crooked as your Uncle Joe the extortionist and kiddie groper.

Last edited:

continued.​
AKA "the prosperity gospel"
lol you don't know shit either.

continued.​

Yet you can't find one saying that for some reason.

continued.​

Right. As I said earlier it's a theology that emphasizes positive thinking and doing for others, and isn't obsessed with legalisms and exegesis; it isn't for scholars, and in any case few are crooks, despite what the commies and assorted deviants hope to peddle. AS we've seen, they can't seem to come up with anything specific to point to, other than they don't like showmanship and being successful at getting people in the doors.

In any case, people who actually think they're going to buy their way into heaven are the bigger crooks, and no one should lose any sleep over their giving their own money away voluntarily.

lol another rubbish thread whining about rich pastors, as if any of you give away a fraction of what you earn to any real charities. Unlike your racist Democrats and your Uncle Joe, they don't have to extort money, they just ask for it. And, the 'Word of Faith'movement is not the same as 'prosperity gospel' stuff.

But, you're all happy with being morons and spreading lies, same with your butt cheeks, so go ahead and make up some more stuff, base on a couple of preachers who actually got caught at something versus most of them who have done nothing to justify the smears, but they committed a horrible crime by not pretending faggots and assorted other deviants and fetishists are 'normal'.

I don't have to 'defend' them, they haven't done anything wrong. You finding some hit piece isn't a charge. Find something specific instead of babbling rumor and innuendo. Many of them follow Billy Graham's lead and stop taking money from their ministries as soon as their other incomes from books and speaking fees allows them to live independently of the ministry. I'm not a fan of theirs but they are basically just a sect based on positive thinking, no different than the secular versions.

And yes, I'm familiar with a couple of them's charity work. I'm not familiar with yours.

Again, You tell us what the major tenants are. Does giving automatically result in getting?

I already did. Your second question is irrelevant, All you need for that is to read their books and sermons. Too much work for you so we can dismiss your whining for what it is, jealousy and a hate for their lack of enthusiasm for whatever sexual fetish it is you feel bad about .

Got it. You got nothing.

Got it, t was you making unfounded claims you couldn't back up, idiot; that's why you avoid getting to any specifics and names; you know you don't have a clue and are just a sick troll.

Prosperity gospel is a prominent part of the Word of Faith movement. Duplantis, Copeland, Osteen, that crazy Meyer woman, too many to list here.

lol so quote some specifics; and, Osteen for one hasn't taken a dime from his ministry since 2005; he also funds his own speaking tours, renting the stadiums. paying for the security and insurance, etc.,etc out of his own pocket. You don't know where any of them get their money, or how they dispose of it, but I do.

The biggest one who does take a salary from his ministry is Benny Hinn, he does take a salary, some $3 mil to $5 mil some years, but he also turns over all his royalties from sales of his books, tours, whatever, to the ministry. Since he is the franchise, so to speak, and generates on average around $120 million a year, he's getting paid maybe 3% of his earnings. Do you live on 3% of yours and give the rest away? lol of course not, that meth and breakfast beer budget is a killer. I'm not a fan of faith healers but he is one lousy crook if he's only paying himself 3%.

Osteen? Just google scholar up his average book advance from publishers like Warner Books, and he has been paid over $300 million or more, just in advances, not including royalties over those advances. His current personal net worth is less than a third of that, so he's also giving away quite chunk of it. like paying off the church's construction bonds and funding all kinds of programs for church members, for starters. Again, he's a pretty dumb crook if he is one, which of course he's obviously not. He also hardly ever says a thing about sending him money or claiming sending any money will give anybody a big return. You wouldn't know that because like the OP you get your info from bitchy little faggots and assorted mentally ill deviants. Some are crooks,but they're few and get caught. As a group they're a lot less crooked than you are, and most certainly not even remotely as crooked as your Uncle Joe the extortionist and kiddie groper.

I could probably live on a percentage of millions per year. Since all his expenses are paid by his church, and he controls the churches money, he doesn't need any money in his own name.

How to know what is really Christian...
It is where there is the Biblical gospel emphasized, for any to come to salvation through Jesus Christ with their repentance having faith in him that is needed, and more from the Bible is taught without limiting what is to be learned from it as revelation from God, with having followers in Christ grow in spiritual fruit, with love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control, without limiting these things, as God who models these is perfect, not with limiting these. There should not be other things that would get in the way of any of this.

How to know what is really Christian...
It is where there is the Biblical gospel emphasized, for any to come to salvation through Jesus Christ with their repentance having faith in him that is needed, and more from the Bible is taught without limiting what is to be learned from it as revelation from God, with having followers in Christ grow in spiritual fruit, with love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control, without limiting these things, as God who models these is perfect, not with limiting these. There should not be other things that would get in the way of any of this.
Was listening to Dr. Yusef today and he was speaking to this very subject in relation to the sorry state of culture today. First the mainstream churches got away from Biblical doctrine and now, sorry to say, it's affecting Evangelical circles as well.

continued.​

I think you're right, but I'm hoping an adherent will explain it from their point of view. Looks like no one wants to either admit or deny that.

Looks like you and your fellow deviants can't find where Osteen ever asked anybody for money, despite thousands of broadcasts and over 35 books, much less told anybody they would get rich giving him any. Apparently you're still full of shit.

Got it. You got nothing.

Osteen? Just google scholar up his average book advance from publishers like Warner Books, and he has been paid over $300 million or more, just in advances, not including royalties over those advances. His current personal net worth is less than a third of that, so he's also giving away quite chunk of it. like paying off the church's construction bonds and funding all kinds of programs for church members, for starters. Again, he's a pretty dumb crook if he is one, which of course he's obviously not. He also hardly ever says a thing about sending him money or claiming sending any money will give anybody a big return. You wouldn't know that because like the OP you get your info from bitchy little faggots and assorted mentally ill deviants. Some are crooks, but they're few and get caught. As a group they're a lot less crooked than you are, and most certainly not even remotely as crooked as your Uncle Joe the extortionist and kiddie groper.

I could probably live on a percentage of millions per year. Since all his expenses are paid by his church, and he controls the churches money, he doesn't need any money in his own name.

Actually he doesn't control the money; you don't know squat about how ministries are set up. He pays income taxes on his salary like any other employee would.

There is a term for trying to elicit reactions from the universe by using special words in special ways; magic. We could call i, "Word of Faith Voodoo".
How could anyone who had more than an infant's conception of 'God' ever think that some human invention such as language could constrain the "Creator of All and Everything", if such a One truly existed?
Unfortunately, the gullible are regular exploited by the soulless.

There is a term for trying to elicit reactions from the universe by using special words in special ways; magic. We could call i, "Word of Faith Voodoo".
How could anyone who had more than an infant's conception of 'God' ever think that some human invention such as language could constrain the "Creator of All and Everything", if such a One truly existed?
Unfortunately, the gullible are regular exploited by the soulless.

Yes, commies and Democrats are indeed very gullible; it comes from a lack of morals and intellect.

The party in power is the same party that has always been in power everywhere that political power has existed. It is the fraction of the population constituting the most intelligent psychopaths. They always ooze to the top over the bodies of all the rest for whom they don't even have enough feeling to call contempt.

continued.​

Looks like you and your fellow deviants can't find where Osteen ever asked anybody for money, despite thousands of broadcasts and over 35 books, much less told anybody they would get rich giving him any. Apparently you're still full of shit.

Osteen isn't as crass as some of the other prosperity gospel preachers, but he does preach that giving thanks BEFORE receiving answers to your prayers increases your chances of getting what you want. Of course, he implies that giving him money is a major way to give thanks for what you can expect to receive. It's a feel good message that can best be described as " thank you-thank you-thank you - gimmie-gimmie-gimmie. (rinse, repeat). The major teachings of Jesus (compassion and care for the poor, sick, old, and the beatitudes, etc.) are only mentioned in passing, or not at all. He's nothing more than a self help guru disguised as a preacher.

Got it. You got nothing.

Osteen? Just google scholar up his average book advance from publishers like Warner Books, and he has been paid over $300 million or more, just in advances, not including royalties over those advances. His current personal net worth is less than a third of that, so he's also giving away quite chunk of it. like paying off the church's construction bonds and funding all kinds of programs for church members, for starters. Again, he's a pretty dumb crook if he is one, which of course he's obviously not. He also hardly ever says a thing about sending him money or claiming sending any money will give anybody a big return. You wouldn't know that because like the OP you get your info from bitchy little faggots and assorted mentally ill deviants. Some are crooks, but they're few and get caught. As a group they're a lot less crooked than you are, and most certainly not even remotely as crooked as your Uncle Joe the extortionist and kiddie groper.

Actually he doesn't control the money; you don't know squat about how ministries are set up. He pays income taxes on his salary like any other employee would.

You bet. Exactly what necessities does he have that his church doesn't pay for? Housing? Transportation? Travel? Utilities? etc?

continued.​

Osteen isn't as crass as some of the other prosperity gospel preachers, but he does preach that giving thanks BEFORE receiving answers to your prayers increases your chances of getting what you want. Of course, he implies that giving him money is a major way to give thanks for what you can expect to receive. It's a feel good message that can best be described as " thank you-thank you-thank you - gimmie-gimmie-gimmie. (rinse, repeat). The major teachings of Jesus (compassion and care for the poor, sick, old, and the beatitudes, etc.) are only mentioned in passing, or not at all. He's nothing more than a self help guru disguised as a preacher.
Yet what is overlooked are the most important teachings like sin judgement and repentance.

continued.​

Evidence? What looks like an 'implication' to degenerate deviants doesn't exactly inspire awe as a 'talking point'. lol

Forum List

Back