What is the real reason that the GOP does not want a deal with Iran?

The essence is quite simple: "Country First" is not factored into their opposition, they have judged the negotiations with Iran as another opportunity to attack the President. Six + years the GOP and the right wing has been throwing bull shit on the wall and trying to get it to stick. Nothing has, and the comments by John Bolton were beyond the pale, and an example of zero sum thinking.

Dudes, it is all a political game. The gop wants NOTHING that could help the Dems in 2016. An agreement with Iran would spell doom for Bush in 2016.....yes, he is the only Republican wifh a chance.

But the Loons will probably nominate someone else.

The essence is quite simple: "Country First" is not factored into their opposition, they have judged the negotiations with Iran as another opportunity to attack the President. Six + years the GOP and the right wing has been throwing bull shit on the wall and trying to get it to stick. Nothing has, and the comments by John Bolton were beyond the pale, and an example of zero sum thinking.
Have you read the posts on this forum. Why are you talking such bullshit. We want a deal which guarantees Iran doesn't make Nukes. It really is that simple. Whether Obama gets the deal or someone else does it doesn't really matter as long as Iran gives up on the nukes.

Dudes, it is all a political game. The gop wants NOTHING that could help the Dems in 2016. An agreement with Iran would spell doom for Bush in 2016.....yes, he is the only Republican wifh a chance.

Have you read the posts on this forum. Why are you talking such bullshit. We want a deal which guarantees Iran doesn't make Nukes. It really is that simple. Whether Obama gets the deal or someone else does it doesn't really matter as long as Iran gives up on the nukes.

Try thinking for yourself.

Try thinking for yourself.
I do. "I" don't want Iran to nuke Israel. "I" don't want Iran to have power over her neighbors. "I" don't care who makes the deal that stops them from making Nukes. "I" don't care if Obama gets the credit. The only thing that matters is that Iran doesn't get nukes.

I think Ernie summed it up, though suggesting Obama wants Iran to have nuclear weapons, puts him in the nutter stands. But, the rational people opposing this deal in particular think we can get a better deal, in which Tehran will give up a nuclear program entirely, and that Iran can be persuaded to do this with more sanctions. Jeffrey Goldberg terms this deal "the least worse option" doubts this premise, and so do I, but for reasons a bit different from his.

"War would not end the Iranian nuclear challenge. Israeli strikes, and certainly U.S. strikes, could destroy much of the physical infrastructure of the Iranian nuclear program, but cruise missiles cannot destroy knowledge, and I doubt they could destroy the will of the regime. Iran would rebuild those facilities, and would do so free from the burden of international sanctions, which would most likely crumble after such a preventative attack. Sanctions, too, were not bringing Iran to total capitulation. I do think that sanctions concentrated the attention of the regime, and that additional sanctions might have helped improve America's negotiating position. But the Iranian regime was not going to capitulate in the face of a collapsing economy. It would have adapted."

The Iran Nuclear Deal Obama Chooses the Least-Worst Option The Atlantic

I recall the sanctions on Iran, and those sanctions really did shut down Saddam's nuclear program, and the threat of war allowed inspectors to have free access, which the present framework for an agreement requires. Yet, even when el-Baradi found no evidence of a nuclear program, the GD neocons invaded the place anyway, and in doing so we allied the Iraqi Sunnis with Al Queda. So, I don't believe for a second that ALL the pols saying "we need tougher sanctions" will ever support any agreement, and just want to opt for war, and the sooner the better. Iraq would be a walk in the park compared to Iran, and we really didn't win in Iraq.

France and Germany both say they haven't seen enough from Iran to support withdrawing any sanctions. Sadly, I'm sure they're saner than Cotton of Boom Boom McCain, and I suspect they'll require more from Iran that would Obama.

In other words: Republicans don't have a solution.

I don't think I said that. I don't think all gopers want to invade regardless. I think they have to give lip service to Iran is a nuclear threat to Israel, even if they know that to be total Netanyahu bulltripe. I agree with Goldberg that sanctions in and of themselves probably will not get the Republican Guard to give up the entire nuclear program. But, if they're just saying we don't know enough of what Iran is giving up to know if this is good enough.

Attacking Israel is the last thing the Iranians would want to do. Who wants to attack a nation that can retaliate with a couple of hundred nuclear warheads.

Iran and every other middle eastern nation will never nuke Israel.

They've bothered to do what most of the conservatives are way too lazy to do. That is look at a thing we call A MAP.

When they look at that map they see how small Israel is and they know how big the blast, destruction and fall out zones are for a nuclear bomb. They know that if a nuclear bomb is used on Israel then Syria, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt and Iraq are also nuked. They know that the fall out will be blown with the wind all over the middle east and the last thing Iran or any other middle eastern leader is going to do is nuke themselves or their friends in Syria, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Iraq.

There is absolutely no reason to fear for the safety of Israel. They actually have nuclear bombs and will use them.

The best way to make sure that Israel is safe is to create that two state situation. Let the Palestinians have self rule.

Yes...and Chancellor hitler will never invade Austria.....or Czechoslovakia...only a madman would risk war with the rest of Europe after the horrors of the First World War...........
So Iran is going to invade Austria.....and Czechoslovakia?

It is scary that anyone could believe that the GOP cares more about supposedly keeping Obama from getting "another victory" than they do about stopping Iran from getting nukes. That is a bizarre, wing-nut position, and anyone who espouses it is beyond persuasion and intelligent discussion.
Except they the GOP really does care more about keeping Obama from "another victory". How do we know? They tell us by their actions.

It is scary that anyone could believe that the GOP cares more about supposedly keeping Obama from getting "another victory" than they do about stopping Iran from getting nukes. That is a bizarre, wing-nut position, and anyone who espouses it is beyond persuasion and intelligent discussion.
Except they the GOP really does care more about keeping Obama from "another victory". How do we know? They tell us by their actions.
For the most part, yes; the right DOES want to prevent obama from another victory. Most sane people see obama victories as losses for America.

Forum List

Back