What is the difference between Snowden and Winner?

The only thing I can think of is intent and reasons why they did it.

Both were contractors who released classified information?

Is there any great difference between what either did?
I agree "leaking" and "whistleblowing" are one and the same, as far as the actual actions.
I don't understand why Winner leaked information that seems to have been pretty much in the public domain already? The place she sent it must have wanted real "documentation" instead of "anonymous sources," I guess. So the Trumpbots would believe it. It doesn't sound like she actually screwed the pooch, security wise. I know that doesn't matter, but it matters.

I agree "leaking" and "whistleblowing" are one and the same, as far as the actual actions.
I don't understand why Winner leaked information that seems to have been pretty much in the public domain already? The place she sent it must have wanted real "documentation" instead of "anonymous sources," I guess. So the Trumpbots would believe it. It doesn't sound like she actually screwed the pooch, security wise. I know that doesn't matter, but it matters.

Secrets are secret…one does not get to decide why they are secret. Sometimes the information is not the secret—the source is.

I appreciate leakers. Sometimes its a waste and all it does is undermind our integrity and loyalty.. Like the manning guy. He released so much stuff. But only a couple things showed bad stuff going down. I don't see the point in that..
What snowden did? Who leaked that stuff to wiki during the election? That chick that went to work for the UN and found a sex slave operation being done by them? Mark Felt? Frank Serpico? Absolutely.

I think many will say that Snowden is an American hero because he uncovered illegal policies of the Obama Adminstration, while Winner is a filthy traitor because she leaked national secrets that made the Trump Adminstration look bad.

My opinion is that these people wouldn't leak anything if the government was doing everything legally.

For starters...

Snowden isn't bat-shit crazy.
Snowden did not pledge allegiance to one of our enemies should we go to war.
Reality did not flee the country

I think many will say that Snowden is an American hero because he uncovered illegal policies of the Obama Adminstration, while Winner is a filthy traitor because she leaked national secrets that made the Trump Adminstration look bad.
and vice versa..

Secrets are secret…one does not get to decide why they are secret. Sometimes the information is not the secret—the source is.
I don't disagree. She should get what she deserves, but I'm still confused what it was for. Maybe someday after the trial, we'll find out.

My opinion is that these people wouldn't leak anything if the government was doing everything legally.
Snowden is a criminal...period. Whatever justification one has for breaking the law does not erase the fact that the law was broken.

He is no different from Winner.

I don't disagree. She should get what she deserves, but I'm still confused what it was for. Maybe someday after the trial, we'll find out.
Long before then. The report is much more important than she is.

Our govt does crazy shit to us and our allies and other countries. People call them traitors when they bring it to the public..
Who is the REAL traitor? The govt is supposed to work for US

Spot on. Among the highly classified documents / products Hillary had on her server was TS satellite Imagery. The target in the photo was not necessarily 'classified', but a trained analyst can tell where the location is, from what angle the photo was taken (location of the satellite), what time of the day the satellite passes over / by (so the enemy will know to hide, if possible, it's actions at that time of day), etc..

Other sources can be HUMINT - human intelligence. Anyone remember reading in the news lately how China, I believe it was, 'PURGED' (identified / located / 'eliminated') almost all of our HUMINT sources? Leaking info has the potential to get people KILLED.

Our govt does crazy shit to us and our allies and other countries. People call them traitors when they bring it to the public..
Who is the REAL traitor? The govt is supposed to work for US
Yeah, and recently we learned Obama and his administration spied on millions of Americans during his 8 years in office....

Forum List

Back