What is God

Man invented the concept of God. The Scriptures were written by man and attributed to the word of God.

Of course you are right to a certain extent. fear based superstitious beliefs in gods and the supernatural had been long established for millennia before Abraham allegedly reasoned that if there was a God he was a supreme living being and not a lifeless block of wood representing an animal or imaginary mythical creature. According to the stories written by men it was only after Abraham cleansed his mind from all of the vile and thought contaminating superstitious beliefs that he was born into that he was able to perceive God and God was able to make himself known to Abraham.

Of course scripture was written by men who claimed to hear from God. Men write stories about being kicked by a mule, but in no way could it ever be the same or accurately communicate what it is like to actually be kicked by a mule. the fact that men wrote scripture does not automatically mean that what they wrote about is false even if what they wrote is impossible to be literally true as is the case in fairy tales and any allegorical story specifically designed to teach sublime truths about reality and life..

If you care to discover whether God exists in actuality or not you too would first have to take the time and go through the trouble of cleansing and purifying your own mind from your own thought contaminating and unsubstantiated assumptions. No one can do it for you.

Be open.

Just do it and heaven will be open to you.

Last edited:
God

/gäd/

noun
a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

What is God? What should be considered a God?

Heck, following the above definition, Satan is a God. Actually, why shouldn't Satan be considered a God by Christianity?

It's my belief that christians DO believe that satan is a god.

Its also my belief that both are imaginary.

You better ask someone else.

Gods are no less real, no less imaginary, than the minds that host them.

God

/gäd/

noun
a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

What is God? What should be considered a God?

Heck, following the above definition, Satan is a God. Actually, why shouldn't Satan be considered a God by Christianity?

He is referred to the god of this world even though he is a cherub (a created being or angel).

2 Corinthians 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Chuckt, I respect your open-mindedness. Shame not many other Christians see it that way.

and what is so open minded about BASIC knowledge that satan IS a CREATED ANGEL, therefore he can not by definition be god?

your lack of basic knowledge of the subject you want to discuss is glaring.

Discussion can be possible only if the subject of the discussion is clearly defined and agreed upon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4UU-RS2cU]Paul the alien.. best scene - YouTube[/ame]

Chuckt, I respect your open-mindedness. Shame not many other Christians see it that way.

and what is so open minded about BASIC knowledge that satan IS a CREATED ANGEL, therefore he can not by definition be god?

your lack of basic knowledge of the subject you want to discuss is glaring.

Discussion can be possible only if the subject of the discussion is clearly defined and agreed upon.

Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me,

chuckt thumps his bible pretending to be the voice of God, just like the girl in the Paul video.

Last edited:
The best, most honest answer I know for this question is: "I don't know. I've never died before."

If I were to speculate on an answer, I'd say G-d is what we human beings call the aliens who visited our world long ago and because of vastly superior technology appeared to ancient Man as divine. As Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." And in this case, divinity.

By any definition, the G-d and gods in our religions are aliens. If the Abrahamic G-d created the planet it obviously can't be from the planet He created, ergo, is alien. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and others are defacto UFO cults.

The best, most honest answer I know for this question is: "I don't know. I've never died before."

If I were to speculate on an answer, I'd say G-d is what we human beings call the aliens who visited our world long ago and because of vastly superior technology appeared to ancient Man as divine. As Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." And in this case, divinity.

By any definition, the G-d and gods in our religions are aliens. If the Abrahamic G-d created the planet it obviously can't be from the planet He created, ergo, is alien. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and others are defacto UFO cults.
Every atom in the universe is magic. 80% of all atoms are empty space. And no one knows what keeps them together.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6H5nNZb1M]Ultimate Argument for Evolution, Clip from the movie Paul (2011) - YouTube[/ame]

chuckt thumps his bible pretending to be the voice of God, just like the girl in the Paul video.

Hey, what do you expect him to do when he has many books, a diploma, and he is licensed by the state to deceive?

There's lots of money out there, sheep to fleece and business contacts to be made!

Hey, what do you expect him to do when he has many books, a diploma, and he is licensed by the state to deceive?

There's lots of money out there, sheep to fleece and business contacts to be made!
So that's what the cons think Jesus meant when he said, "Give us this day our daily BREAD."

The way I see it the only way to be more discriminating about idols and gods would to first be more discriminating about assumptions that float around in the mind and to be more discerning about what is possible or impossible, true or false and right or wrong.

True, which is why we should first learn what the nature of Truth is.

even that temptation to do evil is colored by what any given person perceives to be good or evil which is not intrinsic but learned and not necessarily the truth.

Your personal code of behavior that doesn't violate the rights of others is subjective, yes. But we have a built in recognition system (self-awareness) whereby we know if what we're about to do to someone else is wrong, because we automatically put ourselves in their shoes. We do wrong when we ignore what we "see" and justify doing it anyway.

By accident of birth everyone is taught to think one way or the other about everything under the sun and made to imitate behavior whether irrational or not because they are under the control of parents, teachers, preachers, etc.

Yes, personal virtue has long been grouped under the labels of sin and immorality; and people use the confusion to help them ignore our awareness of the wrong we do to others.

At some point everyone becomes enough of an adult to be held responsible for what they do based on how they were taught to think, for good or evil. For that reason it should be of paramount importance to anyone with even the least spark of intelligent thought remaining to sort through their own minds and separate what true from what is false, and keep what is good and discard what is evil. Then they must stand guard over the purity of their own minds by discerning what teaching of one creature or another is clean or unclean to receive which is the essence of kosher law.

I think I agree.

If they do their mind will become purified and refined and they will know the truth about all things and perceive God and they will never die the death that results from idol worship or eating the flesh of unclean creatures that do not ruminate..

I believe that God, if It exists, has set it up so that we can never perceive It--a necessary circumstance for our free will.

God is a concept of mind. It resides in our imagination.

Yet the universe came into being from some source that, at least so far, we have not been able to gather the first piece of evidence about--one way or the other.

Man invented the concept of God. The Scriptures were written by man and attributed to the word of God.

Man has invented many false Gods. All of them have one thing in common, they're lies. If a God does exist, It has yet to reveal Itself, and probably never will.

Because God isn't defined by Webster. Let's go back to those who He revealed Himself to.
God is:
El. - Might strength power
El Echad. - One God
El Hanne'eman. - The Faithful God
El Emet. - The God of Truth
El Tsaddik. The Righteous God
El Shaddai. The All Sufficient God. (mentioned 48 times in the Bible.)
El Elyon. The Most High God.
El Olam. God Everlasting
El Roi. God Who Sees me
El Chaiyai. The God of my life
El-Channun. The Gracious God
El Rachum. The God of Compassion
El malei Rachamim God full of mercy
El Yeshuati. The God of my Salvation. From yeshuah, meaning salvation, deliverance, and victory.
El Hannora. The Awesome God
and
Immanuel. God is with us.

Just a few of the less generic definitions of our God.
Satan is not God. He doesn't fit the descriptions. :eusa_angel:

True, Satan is a mythical symbol, but so are all those other names for God. The only name that fits, is Truth. It's not the God of Truth, It is Truth.

Satan is another man-made concept.

True, but that fact only helps you.

Who wrote the prophecies? Man or an invisible God?

There is no prophesy. If it existed, our lives would be nothing but puppets dancing on strings. There can be no prophesy, no divine providence, no divine intervention of any kind. Free will is the one and only gift a God could give to another being. Creation's only purpose was to spawn us with free will, if God exists. If God doesn't exist, we still have it anyway.

The 10 Commandments acknowledges that there are more gods than just one.

I am the lord thy god thou shall have no other gods before me.

Clearly if there were no other gods, GOD wouldn't need to bother mentioning this caveat

Forum List

Back