What is a small government libertarian?

I didn't take it as picking a fight, we're good. Everything you say is reasonable. And certainly since you've been there there you have a great experience I do not have. You can tell me, but maybe we're talking about different meanings of anarchy. Anarchy can mean chaos, and anarchy can be a political structure with no recognized government.

I am referring to the latter. When I refer to anarchists, I am referring to people who want no recognized government. People are social, and most of them are followers. I have no doubt that if we eliminated a commonly recognized government, that Somalia is the inevitable destination. People will not live on farms with their family in their community in governmentless harmony as anarchists envision, they will join a fief or be destroyed.

In anarchy, we have government, but we do not have any consistency. If you've read the thread, you know I keep saying I don't want to live my entire life within 10 miles of where my great grandfather is born. And while the fiefs may have education, criminal justice and so forth, they are limited.

You can tell me if I misunderstood, but I took your post to mean I think anarchy is chaos. That isn't what I meant.

I'm an anarchist because I believe the phrase "good government" is an oxymoron. So is the phrase "limited government."

People have lived under government for so long that no one can comprehend how anarchy cold work or be stable, but the fact is that prior to the creation of the state farming communities existed for thousands of years without any kind of formal government. They established property rights and resolved crimes without the usual apparatus of oppression. If you want to read how it could work in a modern context then read some Hans Herman Hoppe and what he calls "the private law society."

I gave you what has turned out to be a pretty solid definition of what government functions small government libertarians believe is necessary in government. They generally agreed with me give or take. It's in the first post. Why don't you explain how those functions can be provided without government? I refuted your road argument and you haven't followed up on that or addressed the other areas at all. I was pretty specific.

Oh right, I forgot, in right wing world Obama was responsible since BEFORE he even won the election

January 08, 2009

The federal budget deficit will nearly triple to an unprecedented $1.2 trillion for the 2009 budget year, according to grim new Congressional Budget Office figures.

Dubya, like ALL Prez have a F/Y budget starting Oct 1. His last F/Y budget was Oct 1, 2008 FORWARD

Pres. Obama certainly shares responsibility. He voted for Bush's last budget, plus he and the Democrats in the House and Senate controlled the entire spending starting on March 7, 2009.

Maybe you didn't know that Bush's last budget was only approved for half of FY2009. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr2638/text

Obama voted for TARP too, and that was the major source of the deficit.

Weird, so NOW Dubya, like EVERY other US Prez isn't responsible for his F/Y budget? lol

Only because it was an actual special circumstance. Bush '43 signed a budget for FY 2009 that continued spending at 2008 levels, set by the Democratic House and Senate. It also only appropriated funds through the first half of 2009.

So he and Obama share the responsibility of that spending.

If McCaion won TARP wouldn't had been needed?

McCain would have passed TARP just as Obama did. And you leftists that wanted bigger government would have criticized him for expanding government.

All are wrong in my opinion, but that ship has sailed.

TARP, which Dubya asked for, and EVERY credible economists (sorry AEI, CATO, Heritage, etc) knows SAVED US from a second GOP great depression,

Yeah, the spending by the Dems just happened starting in March, NOTHING else predated their spending spree right? lol

Attributing massive government spending to Bush while also trying to create a myth about Obama being more responsible (while he endorsed the massive spending) is the issue.

"Spending on the TARP program turned out to be much less than the $700 billion originally authorized. Congress later reduced the authorization to $475 billion in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that Obama signed on July 21, 2010. And not all was spent in 2009.

Actual outlays for TARP in fiscal 2009 totaled $154 billion, according to the CBO. ""

Obama?s Spending: ?Inferno? or Not?

SO THE US WOULDN'T STOPPED DEAD IN HER TRACKS SINCE DUBYA DIDN'T WANT TO PUT HIS NAME ON A BUDGET LIKE EVERY OTHER US PREZ? lol

"Dubya" knew he'd lost in 2007 and worked with the Democrats to enact their lawfully gained power. Of that many things he did wrong, the peaceful transfer of power is something he did right.

I know it just sucks for you that Obama and the Democrats increased spending and that's now a negative, but that's how it actually happened. As for the promised results of all this spending?

Well that chart speaks for itself. Your side's plan didn't work.

080312jobschart2.jpg

You don't know what debt is if you think we compare to Revolutionary War era America

We are the wealthiest nation on earth and have the worlds largest economy. They were an agrarian economy and had borrowed to the teeth to try to get through a war

They didn't borrow anywhere near the GDP of the country, which is what Obama has done.

Critics Still Wrong on What’s Driving Deficits in Coming Years
Economic Downturn, Financial Rescues, and Bush-Era Policies Drive the Numbers

10-10-12bud_rev2-28-13-f2.jpg

Tax Cuts, War Costs Do Lasting Harm to Budget Outlook

Some commentators blame major legislation adopted since 2008 — the stimulus bill and other recovery measures and the financial rescues — for today’s record deficits. Yet those costs pale next to other policies enacted since 2001 that have swollen the deficit and that have lasting effects.

Just two policies dating from the Bush Administration — tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan — accounted for over $500 billion of the deficit in 2009 and will account for nearly $6 trillion in deficits in 2009 through 2019 (including associated debt-service costs of $1.4 trillion). By 2019, we estimate that these two policies will account for almost half — over $8 trillion — of the $17 trillion in debt that will be owed under current policies

Economic Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I love the static economy analyses by the "experts" that called it wrong in the first place.

Real people care about the future and your side promised some results.

Yeah, that worked out so well.

This is why you are playing defense and blaming someone who hasn't been President for a long time, to deflect from your own failed programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
TARP helped to prevent our economy from entering a depression. If the banks had failed our economy would have collapsed

You can't have it both ways, blaming Bush for the last deficit but then saying it was necessary since your guy supported it.

Needed it BECAUSE of Dubya's policies leading up to the fall of 20098, AMNESIA HUH?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/362889-facts-on-dubya-s-great-recession.html

A fall that was known when your side promised to fix things.

"We Didn't Start The Fire" is a song, not a successful view of governing. It's obvious that the amateurs in charge are good only at justifying their terrible ideas.

Yeah, it was Gov't NOT private Banksters that created a WORLD WIDE CREDIT BUBBLE AND BUST 2000-2007, aided by Dubya's regulator failure in the US

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/362889-facts-on-dubya-s-great-recession.html

Yes, it was government that did that.

Clinton threatened CEOs to lower lending standards and said he'd hound and haul them into hearings if they didn't. Then the Fed pumped them with virtually zero interest money.

W said wow, that's not a good idea. Then he kept doing it. Typical useless Republican.

People armed with government money bid up the price of housing. Hence the "bubble."

When the economy burped, massive people who shouldn't have been made loans failed to pay them, the bubble burst.

No, Virginia, the entire financial sector didn't independently make the same stupid decision at the same time to implode. It was government carrot and the stick, threats if they didn't do it, free $$$ if they did. It was on you homey. You did this.

CLINTON?

Q When did the Bush Mortgage Bubble start?

A The general timeframe is it started late 2004.

From Bush’s President’s Working Group on Financial Markets October 2008

“The Presidents Working Group’s March policy statement acknowledged that turmoil in financial markets clearly was triggered by a dramatic weakening of underwriting standards for U.S. subprime mortgages, beginning in late 2004 and extending into 2007

Subprime_mortgage_originations,_1996-2008.GIF

" No, Virginia, the entire financial sector didn't independently make the same stupid decision at the same time to implode. It was government carrot and the stick, threats if they didn't do it, free $$$ if they did. It was on you homey. You did this. "

Examining the big lie: How the facts of the economic crisis stack up

The boom and bust was global. Proponents of the Big Lie ignore the worldwide nature of the housing boom and bust.

Sept09_CF1.jpg

A McKinsey Global Institute report noted “from 2000 through 2007, a remarkable run-up in global home prices occurred.” It is highly unlikely that a simultaneous boom and bust everywhere else in the world was caused by one set of factors (ultra-low rates, securitized AAA-rated subprime, derivatives) but had a different set of causes in the United States. Indeed, this might be the biggest obstacle to pushing the false narrative

•Nonbank mortgage underwriting exploded from 2001 to 2007, along with the private label securitization market, which eclipsed Fannie and Freddie during the boom.

fannieFreddie2.jpg

Private lenders not subject to congressional regulations collapsed lending standards. Taking up that extra share were nonbanks selling mortgages elsewhere, not to the GSEs. Conforming mortgages had rules that were less profitable than the newfangled loans. Private securitizers — competitors of Fannie and Freddie — grew from 10 percent of the market in 2002 to nearly 40 percent in 2006. As a percentage of all mortgage-backed securities, private securitization grew from 23 percent in 2003 to 56 percent in 2006

Examining the big lie: How the facts of the economic crisis stack up | The Big Picture

It is clear to anyone who has studied the financial crisis of 2008 that the private sector’s drive for short-term profit was behind it

More than 84 percent of the sub-prime mortgages in 2006 were issued by private lending. These private firms made nearly 83 percent of the subprime loans to low- and moderate-income borrowers that year. Out of the top 25 subprime lenders in 2006, only one was subject to the usual mortgage laws and regulations.

The nonbank underwriters made more than 12 million subprime mortgages with a value of nearly $2 trillion. The lenders who made these were exempt from federal regulations.

Lest We Forget: Why We Had A Financial Crisis - Forbes

ANY OTHER FALSE NARRATIVES YOU WANT DEMOLISHED BUBBA?

ALL of this was known to the current administration when they got put in charge. Why couldn't they fix it?

Pres. Obama certainly shares responsibility. He voted for Bush's last budget, plus he and the Democrats in the House and Senate controlled the entire spending starting on March 7, 2009.

Maybe you didn't know that Bush's last budget was only approved for half of FY2009. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr2638/text

Weird, so NOW Dubya, like EVERY other US Prez isn't responsible for his F/Y budget? lol

Only because it was an actual special circumstance. Bush '43 signed a budget for FY 2009 that continued spending at 2008 levels, set by the Democratic House and Senate. It also only appropriated funds through the first half of 2009.

McCain would have passed TARP just as Obama did. And you leftists that wanted bigger government would have criticized him for expanding government.

TARP, which Dubya asked for, and EVERY credible economists (sorry AEI, CATO, Heritage, etc) knows SAVED US from a second GOP great depression,

Yeah, the spending by the Dems just happened starting in March, NOTHING else predated their spending spree right? lol

Attributing massive government spending to Bush while also trying to create a myth about Obama being more responsible (while he endorsed the massive spending) is the issue.

"Spending on the TARP program turned out to be much less than the $700 billion originally authorized. Congress later reduced the authorization to $475 billion in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that Obama signed on July 21, 2010. And not all was spent in 2009.

Actual outlays for TARP in fiscal 2009 totaled $154 billion, according to the CBO. ""

SO THE US WOULDN'T STOPPED DEAD IN HER TRACKS SINCE DUBYA DIDN'T WANT TO PUT HIS NAME ON A BUDGET LIKE EVERY OTHER US PREZ? lol

"Dubya" knew he'd lost in 2007 and worked with the Democrats to enact their lawfully gained power. Of that many things he did wrong, the peaceful transfer of power is something he did right.

I know it just sucks for you that Obama and the Democrats increased spending and that's now a negative, but that's how it actually happened. As for the promised results of all this spending?

080312jobschart2.jpg

Obama added $7T of debt, and all we got for it was a lousy level of unemployment.

Oh right, I forgot, in right wing world Obama was responsible since BEFORE he even won the election

January 08, 2009

The federal budget deficit will nearly triple to an unprecedented $1.2 trillion for the 2009 budget year, according to grim new Congressional Budget Office figures.

Dubya, like ALL Prez have a F/Y budget starting Oct 1. His last F/Y budget was Oct 1, 2008 FORWARD

TARP helped to prevent our economy from entering a depression. If the banks had failed our economy would have collapsed

TARP was a smoke screen, the real bail out came at the discount window of the Federal Reserve. To a tune of 16.1 Trillion Dollars. Why do you continue to post this Lie?

Then they paid off TARP after borrowing from the Federal Reserve at .25%.

I've proved this many times.

Basleess talking point, TARP was throwing gasoline on the fire. We needed less government oppression over our economy, not more.

Yeah, it was Gov't NOT private Banksters that created a WORLD WIDE CREDIT BUBBLE AND BUST 2000-2007, aided by Dubya's regulator failure in the US

Yawn. All were to blame, but you only blame one side. The TOO Big Too Fail were created by the Graham Leahy Act.........Signed by Clinton and pushed by the scum bag Graham. They decided that these Banks and Investment firms would be Self Regulated. So the Regulators were put out of the loop. They then used Fractional Banking in the Commercial Sector to fund their Investments in the Markets, which was part of the Glass Steaghall Act in lessons learned by the Great Depression.

You also forget that the GOP tried to regulate it, as they saw what was happening only to laughed at by the Dems in committee. Today, we have another Bubble Machine that is ready to pop using the same dang things that crashed it last time.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Somalia keeps coming up.............The rule in Somalia was who had the most guns. Guns ruled the regions and the country.

Using Somalia as an example of a Libertarian is about as sane as hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop.

Government - Interest Expense on the Debt Outstanding

354 Billion Dollars this year on interest on the debt. 3 months to go. This is why we need a limited Gov't.

We cannot afford the Feel Good Programs that this Gov't continues to fund. This interest payment will go higher and higher, unless we put the brakes on and DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM. Kicking it down the road is quite Frankly TREASON.

080312jobschart2.jpg

"Only because it was an actual special circumstance. Bush '43 signed a budget for FY 2009 that continued spending at 2008 levels, set by the Democratic House and Senate. It also only appropriated funds through the first half of 2009.

"

WEIRD, WHAT WERE THE SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES AND WHY WOULDN'T DUBYA, LIKE EVERY US PREZ, ACCEPT AT LEAST THE $1.2+ TRILLION DEFICIT THE CBO SAID WOULD HAPPEN JAN 08, 2009?

"McCain would have passed TARP just as Obama did. And you leftists that wanted bigger government would have criticized him for expanding government.

All are wrong in my opinion, but that ship has sailed."

Actually it was Dubya who passed it, it saved US from ANOTHER GOP great depression, according to EVERY credible economist!

"Attributing massive government spending to Bush while also trying to create a myth about Obama being more responsible (while he endorsed the massive spending) is the issue."

WEIRD, ONCE MORE, DID REAGAN GET CREDIT OR BLAME FOR HIS SPENDING? CLINTON? But SOMEHOW 'special circumstances' stop Dubya for getting blame for HIS budget, even though Obama, WISELY, unlike most of the GOP who used it as a political football, voted against it?

I get it, typical conservative who just find it in him to be honest

Yeah, THAT'S why Dubya started his vetoing AFTER the Dems took Congress *shaking head*

I get it, EVERYTHING Reagan accomplished was on his leadership' but Dubya, well those nasty Dems just bullied him and Dubya, to his credit, went along with it lol

" Well that chart speaks for itself. Your side's plan didn't work."

Got the chart showing what WOULD'VE happened without the Bush plan?

They didn't borrow anywhere near the GDP of the country, which is what Obama has done.

Critics Still Wrong on What’s Driving Deficits in Coming Years
Economic Downturn, Financial Rescues, and Bush-Era Policies Drive the Numbers

10-10-12bud_rev2-28-13-f2.jpg

Some commentators blame major legislation adopted since 2008 — the stimulus bill and other recovery measures and the financial rescues — for today’s record deficits. Yet those costs pale next to other policies enacted since 2001 that have swollen the deficit and that have lasting effects.

Just two policies dating from the Bush Administration — tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan — accounted for over $500 billion of the deficit in 2009 and will account for nearly $6 trillion in deficits in 2009 through 2019 (including associated debt-service costs of $1.4 trillion). By 2019, we estimate that these two policies will account for almost half — over $8 trillion — of the $17 trillion in debt that will be owed under current policies

Economic Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I love the static economy analyses by the "experts" that called it wrong in the first place.

Real people care about the future and your side promised some results.

Yeah, that worked out so well.

This is why you are playing defense and blaming someone who hasn't been President for a long time, to deflect from your own failed programs.

Dubya lost 1.2+ million PRIVATE sector jobs in 8 years

Obama has 10+ million created under him since hitting Bush's bottom March 2010

The Economists' statement opposing the Bush tax cuts was a statement signed by roughly 450 economists, including ten of the twenty-four American Nobel Prize laureates alive at the time, in February 2003 who urged the U.S. President George W. Bush not to enact the 2003 tax cuts; seeking and sought to gather public support for the position. The statement was printed as a full-page ad in The New York Times and released to the public through the Economic Policy Institute. According to the statement, the 450 plus economists who signed the statement believe that the 2003 Bush tax cuts will increase inequality and the budget deficit, decreasing the ability of the U.S. government to fund essential services, while failing to produce economic growth.

In rebuttal, 250 plus economists who supported the tax plan wrote that the new plan would "create more employment, economic growth, and opportunities for all Americans."

WHICH SIDE WAS RIGHT AGAIN? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't have it both ways, blaming Bush for the last deficit but then saying it was necessary since your guy supported it.

Needed it BECAUSE of Dubya's policies leading up to the fall of 20098, AMNESIA HUH?

A fall that was known when your side promised to fix things.

"We Didn't Start The Fire" is a song, not a successful view of governing. It's obvious that the amateurs in charge are good only at justifying their terrible ideas.

Yeah, Dubya losing 1.2+ million PRIVATE sector jobs in 8 years with 'job creator policies' was good

Obama having 10+ million PRIVATE Sector jobs since hitting Bush's bottom March 2010 is bad. Not counting Bin Laden, doubling the stock market, stabilizing the Dubya subprime/housing crash, etc

Horrible job Obama!

Yes, it was government that did that.

Clinton threatened CEOs to lower lending standards and said he'd hound and haul them into hearings if they didn't. Then the Fed pumped them with virtually zero interest money.

W said wow, that's not a good idea. Then he kept doing it. Typical useless Republican.

People armed with government money bid up the price of housing. Hence the "bubble."

When the economy burped, massive people who shouldn't have been made loans failed to pay them, the bubble burst.

No, Virginia, the entire financial sector didn't independently make the same stupid decision at the same time to implode. It was government carrot and the stick, threats if they didn't do it, free $$$ if they did. It was on you homey. You did this.

CLINTON?

Q When did the Bush Mortgage Bubble start?

A The general timeframe is it started late 2004.

From Bush’s President’s Working Group on Financial Markets October 2008

“The Presidents Working Group’s March policy statement acknowledged that turmoil in financial markets clearly was triggered by a dramatic weakening of underwriting standards for U.S. subprime mortgages, beginning in late 2004 and extending into 2007

Subprime_mortgage_originations,_1996-2008.GIF

" No, Virginia, the entire financial sector didn't independently make the same stupid decision at the same time to implode. It was government carrot and the stick, threats if they didn't do it, free $$$ if they did. It was on you homey. You did this. "

Examining the big lie: How the facts of the economic crisis stack up

The boom and bust was global. Proponents of the Big Lie ignore the worldwide nature of the housing boom and bust.

Sept09_CF1.jpg

A McKinsey Global Institute report noted “from 2000 through 2007, a remarkable run-up in global home prices occurred.” It is highly unlikely that a simultaneous boom and bust everywhere else in the world was caused by one set of factors (ultra-low rates, securitized AAA-rated subprime, derivatives) but had a different set of causes in the United States. Indeed, this might be the biggest obstacle to pushing the false narrative

•Nonbank mortgage underwriting exploded from 2001 to 2007, along with the private label securitization market, which eclipsed Fannie and Freddie during the boom.

fannieFreddie2.jpg

Private lenders not subject to congressional regulations collapsed lending standards. Taking up that extra share were nonbanks selling mortgages elsewhere, not to the GSEs. Conforming mortgages had rules that were less profitable than the newfangled loans. Private securitizers — competitors of Fannie and Freddie — grew from 10 percent of the market in 2002 to nearly 40 percent in 2006. As a percentage of all mortgage-backed securities, private securitization grew from 23 percent in 2003 to 56 percent in 2006

Examining the big lie: How the facts of the economic crisis stack up | The Big Picture

It is clear to anyone who has studied the financial crisis of 2008 that the private sector’s drive for short-term profit was behind it

More than 84 percent of the sub-prime mortgages in 2006 were issued by private lending. These private firms made nearly 83 percent of the subprime loans to low- and moderate-income borrowers that year. Out of the top 25 subprime lenders in 2006, only one was subject to the usual mortgage laws and regulations.

The nonbank underwriters made more than 12 million subprime mortgages with a value of nearly $2 trillion. The lenders who made these were exempt from federal regulations.

Lest We Forget: Why We Had A Financial Crisis - Forbes

ANY OTHER FALSE NARRATIVES YOU WANT DEMOLISHED BUBBA?

ALL of this was known to the current administration when they got put in charge. Why couldn't they fix it?

We have a subprime housing crisis? The economy is slowly coming back from the cliff of Dubya/GOP policy, STEADY and rising

BUT

DEC 2007

The Economic Consequences of Mr. Bush

The next president will have to deal with yet another crippling legacy of George W. Bush: the economy
. A Nobel laureate, Joseph E. Stiglitz, sees a generation-long struggle to recoup.

DAMNED IF HE DIDN'T CALL IT BEFORE DUBYA'S RECESSION!!!

The Economic Consequences of Mr. Bush | Vanity Fair

080312jobschart2.jpg

Obama added $7T of debt, and all we got for it was a lousy level of unemployment.

Sure he did. MORE conservative 'math' lol

National Debt Oct 1, 2009 $11,920,519,164,319.42

Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits

10-10-12bud_rev2-28-13-f1.jpg

TARP was a smoke screen, the real bail out came at the discount window of the Federal Reserve. To a tune of 16.1 Trillion Dollars. Why do you continue to post this Lie?

Then they paid off TARP after borrowing from the Federal Reserve at .25%.

I've proved this many times.

Ok, you are a wingnut. AND?

Yes, they used $16 trillion to save US from ANOTHER GOP great depression. What was the cost to US?

Basleess talking point, TARP was throwing gasoline on the fire. We needed less government oppression over our economy, not more.

Yawn. All were to blame, but you only blame one side. The TOO Big Too Fail were created by the Graham Leahy Act.........Signed by Clinton and pushed by the scum bag Graham. They decided that these Banks and Investment firms would be Self Regulated. So the Regulators were put out of the loop. They then used Fractional Banking in the Commercial Sector to fund their Investments in the Markets, which was part of the Glass Steaghall Act in lessons learned by the Great Depression.

You also forget that the GOP tried to regulate it, as they saw what was happening only to laughed at by the Dems in committee. Today, we have another Bubble Machine that is ready to pop using the same dang things that crashed it last time.

YAWN

"The TOO Big Too Fail were created by the Graham Leahy Act.........Signed by Clinton and pushed by the scum bag Graham."

Sure, that GOP bill did it NOT Dubya's regulator failure *shaking head*

Why The Glass-Steagall Myth Persists

We're members at the Ayn Rand Center, covering economics and liberty.

There is zero evidence this change unleashed the financial crisis. If you tally the institutions that ran into severe problems in 2008-09, the list includes Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, AIG, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, none of which would have come under Glass-Steagall’s restrictions. Even President Obama has recently acknowledged that “there is not evidence that having Glass-Steagall in place would somehow change the dynamic.”

As for the FDIC-insured commercial banks that ran into trouble, the record is also clear: what got them into trouble were not activities restricted by Glass-Steagall. Their problems arose from investments in residential mortgages and residential mortgage-backed securities—investments they had always been free to engage in.

Why The Glass-Steagall Myth Persists - Forbes

" You also forget that the GOP tried to regulate it, as they saw what was happening only to laughed at by the Dems in committee.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

One president controlled the regulators that not only let banks stop checking income but cheered them on. And as president Bush could enact the very policies that caused the Bush Mortgage Bubble and he did. And his party controlled congress.

354 Billion Dollars this year on interest on the debt. 3 months to go. This is why we need a limited Gov't.

We cannot afford the Feel Good Programs that this Gov't continues to fund. This interest payment will go higher and higher, unless we put the brakes on and DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM. Kicking it down the road is quite Frankly TREASON.

Weird, less interest today than 2007 :lol:

DUBYA TOOK US TO KOREAN WAR LEVELS OF REVENUES!

"Starving the beast" is a political strategy employed by American conservatives in order to limit government spending by cutting taxes in order to deprive the government of revenue in a deliberate effort to force the federal government to reduce spending.

Before his election as President, then-candidate Ronald Reagan foreshadowed the strategy during the 1980 US Presidential debates, saying "John Anderson tells us that first we've got to reduce spending before we can reduce taxes. Well, if you've got a kid that's extravagant, you can lecture him all you want to about his extravagance. Or you can cut his allowance and achieve the same end much quicker."

I didn't take it as picking a fight, we're good. Everything you say is reasonable. And certainly since you've been there there you have a great experience I do not have. You can tell me, but maybe we're talking about different meanings of anarchy. Anarchy can mean chaos, and anarchy can be a political structure with no recognized government.

I am referring to the latter. When I refer to anarchists, I am referring to people who want no recognized government. People are social, and most of them are followers. I have no doubt that if we eliminated a commonly recognized government, that Somalia is the inevitable destination. People will not live on farms with their family in their community in governmentless harmony as anarchists envision, they will join a fief or be destroyed.

In anarchy, we have government, but we do not have any consistency. If you've read the thread, you know I keep saying I don't want to live my entire life within 10 miles of where my great grandfather is born. And while the fiefs may have education, criminal justice and so forth, they are limited.

You can tell me if I misunderstood, but I took your post to mean I think anarchy is chaos. That isn't what I meant.

I'm an anarchist because I believe the phrase "good government" is an oxymoron. So is the phrase "limited government."

People have lived under government for so long that no one can comprehend how anarchy cold work or be stable, but the fact is that prior to the creation of the state farming communities existed for thousands of years without any kind of formal government. They established property rights and resolved crimes without the usual apparatus of oppression. If you want to read how it could work in a modern context then read some Hans Herman Hoppe and what he calls "the private law society."

I gave you what has turned out to be a pretty solid definition of what government functions small government libertarians believe is necessary in government. They generally agreed with me give or take. It's in the first post. Why don't you explain how those functions can be provided without government? I refuted your road argument and you haven't followed up on that or addressed the other areas at all. I was pretty specific.

Roads can easily be provided by private companies, especially today when cars can be equipped with transponders and billed for usage without the driver even having to slow down. Most roads are privately built as it is. All the roads in the subdivision where you live were built by a private contractor. Only the major thoroughfares were built by the government. Private corporations were building private toll roads right after the Revolution. They started building limited access tollways in the 1920s.

There are already private fire departments, so that doesn't need to be explained.

Perhaps you don't realize it, but private security provides most of our protection from criminals. The government police only show up after a crime has been committed to take down names and record the incident. If private roads enforced their own rules of the road, then government police become almost totally superfluous.

The subject of the military, the courts and the law is too big to discuss in this forum. Hans Hermann Hoppe has proposed a solution that he calls "the private law society." If you are really interested, then I suggest you put him on your reading list. The first book I recommend is "Democracy: the god that failed."

Weird, less interest today than 2007 :lol:

DUBYA TOOK US TO KOREAN WAR LEVELS OF REVENUES!

"Starving the beast" is a political strategy employed by American conservatives in order to limit government spending by cutting taxes in order to deprive the government of revenue in a deliberate effort to force the federal government to reduce spending.

Before his election as President, then-candidate Ronald Reagan foreshadowed the strategy during the 1980 US Presidential debates, saying "John Anderson tells us that first we've got to reduce spending before we can reduce taxes. Well, if you've got a kid that's extravagant, you can lecture him all you want to about his extravagance. Or you can cut his allowance and achieve the same end much quicker."

What Reagan said is 100% correct. When is government going to cut spending?

Forum List

Back