What is a 'fair share'?

A people divided all by design, by the very people we elect to govern our nation. While they divide us they use kabuki theater and pretend to hate each other.

Answer me this... In late 2019 during the heart of the 1st impeachment our elected leaders who supposedly hated each other somehow came together to pass a whole slew of bill right before the end of the year and the Trump signed them all. From added spending to fucking with the retirement system, these bills made it through in the dark of the night with almost no media coverage and not a word from Trump when he signed them.

How does that happen with two parties at war with each other?
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I would need more context to comment.

How many choices for POTUS were on your ballot in 2020?

It is nothing like that.

We have elections every 2 years, a chance to let our elected officials know how we feel about what they are doing. We reelect the people in Congress at a greater than 90% clip. That is WE THE PEOPLE giving them our approval of what they do.
That is not just giving them our approval. It is giving them rein to continue their rape and pillage.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I would need more context to comment.

Which just helps to further my point. Do some research and see all the bills past at the last second in 2019 right before the end of the year. No press, no fighting, no comments from Trump.

How do two sides that hate each other so much manage to do that?

Seems like the more pertinent question would be who exactly decides what the so-called fair share is.

Comparable to Karl Marx talking about ''From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

Well...nobody ever asks who determines need, predictably.

But we all know who does.

Why, it's the presumably omniscient, benevolent State, of course...

And currently we are a people so divided it has become an impossible situation. How many think legalized marijuana is a good idea vs a bad idea. How many people want unlimited abortion or barely regulated abortion vs those who want strict limits on abortion or no abortion?

And these are the things they want us fighting over, these are the things that keep us divided while our elected leaders get away with anything they wish as we are too busy fighting each other over whether someone should be allowed to smoke pot or not...as if the Fed Govt should have any say in that at all

What is the 'fair share' that taxpayers should pay?

We hear a lot from the left that rich Americans should pay their 'fair share.'

President Trump said the USA paid the huge lion's share of NATO, the UN, etc. and other countries should pay their 'fair share.'

Let's be honest that yes, the government can collect taxes, print money, sell bonds to cover some of its debt, but in the end it is we Americans who live with the consequences of tax policy and what the government spends money on.

So how do we define a 'fair share' that we should pay and/or others should pay?

For me "fair share" is about what people use.

So, if you use the roads, then a fair share is more than if you don't use the roads.

It's complicated. Take education. Each individual receives an education. So, should everyone pay the same for education?

Well, a business person will have available a pool of workers who all got an education. So, really businesses should pay more because they're benefiting more from education funding than other people.

At the end of the day businesses would probably struggle if they actually had to pay their fair share. People do struggle because they have to pay their fair share.

Generally speaking fair share means those who I don't agree with on political and social issues should pay more. How much that should be no one will ever say because then they would be asked how they came to that specific amount and to justify it.

For me "fair share" is about what people use.

So, if you use the roads, then a fair share is more than if you don't use the roads.

It's complicated. Take education. Each individual receives an education. So, should everyone pay the same for education?

Well, a business person will have available a pool of workers who all got an education. So, really businesses should pay more because they're benefiting more from education funding than other people.

At the end of the day businesses would probably struggle if they actually had to pay their fair share. People do struggle because they have to pay their fair share.
But there is no way to individually quantify the social contract things like education and/or infrastructure that directly or indirectly benefits everybody. Everybody benefits from roads whether or not they walk or drive on them, because many of the essentials for life or quality of life is delivered on those roads. And also because others are educated/trained to do things essential to our life or quality of life, even the person who never went to school benefits from the education others get.

So the 'use' standard doesn't work unless it is something that only some people intentionally use like a tobacco or gun shop or abortion clinic or massage parlor. I don't want my taxes going for any of those things.

What is the 'fair share' that taxpayers should pay?

We hear a lot from the left that rich Americans should pay their 'fair share.'

President Trump said the USA paid the huge lion's share of NATO, the UN, etc. and other countries should pay their 'fair share.'

Let's be honest that yes, the government can collect taxes, print money, sell bonds to cover some of its debt, but in the end it is we Americans who live with the consequences of tax policy and what the government spends money on.

So how do we define a 'fair share' that we should pay and/or others should pay?
Currently the rich stop paying SS taxes after they earn a certain dollar amount. Meaning the amount they earn over that figure is taxed less.

The poor who don't make as much get taxed on every dollar they make.

Everyone should get taxed on every dollar they make equally if we're going to have that levy.

Currently the rich stop paying SS taxes after they earn a certain dollar amount. Meaning the amount they earn over that figure is taxed less.

The poor who don't make as much get taxed on every dollar they make.

Everyone should get taxed on every dollar they make equally if we're going to have that levy.
The poor pay no federal taxes at all except for usage taxes.

But there is no way to individually quantify the social contract things like education and/or infrastructure that directly or indirectly benefits everybody. Everybody benefits from roads whether or not they walk or drive on them, because many of the essentials for life or quality of life is delivered on those roads. And also because others are educated/trained to do things essential to our life or quality of life, even the person who never went to school benefits from the education others get.

So the 'use' standard doesn't work unless it is something that only some people intentionally use like a tobacco or gun shop or abortion clinic or massage parlor. I don't want my taxes going for any of those things.

Sure. It's a complex thing and maybe something societies need to have a debate about.

And yes, people don't want their taxes going to stupid things that benefit only a few people, and yet the government does what it wants because the people have little control over their own government.

Okay???? I was talking about social security and the fact the rich don't get taxed over a certain dollar amount.
And the amount of social security they receive is also capped. So that's a non starter for this debate since everybody who works pays the same percentage on their earnings. I would say that is everybody paying their fair share in that one instance.

And the amount of social security they receive is also capped.
The amount of value you receive for any tax you pay is capped. Those who pay a lot of taxes or less taxes don't get any more or or less protection by the coast guard for example So that doesn't factor into the discussion.
So that's a non starter for this debate since everybody who works pays the same percentage on their earnings. I would say that is everybody paying their fair share in that one instance.
Translation: You can't justify the rich getting taxed less on their income so you're just trying to dismiss it.

====

Dividend income is taxed at a lesser rate than labor income.

I'm sure you'll have a quite creative reason for why that is completely justifiable too.

The amount of value you receive for any tax you pay is capped. Those who pay a lot of taxes or less taxes don't get any more or or less protection by the coast guard for example So that doesn't factor into the discussion.

Translation: You can't justify the rich getting taxed less on their income so you're just trying to dismiss it.

====

Dividend income is taxed at a lesser rate than labor income.

I'm sure you'll have a quite creative reason for why that is completely justifiable too.
Actually I can justify even without getting creative but I doubt you would be impressed. So I'll wish you a good night.

Actually I can justify even without getting creative but I doubt you would be impressed. So I'll wish you a good night.
I doubt you'd be literate.

I pointed out two cases where the rich pay lesser taxes than others... one on social security and the other on dividend income. Your counter has been to make an absurd claim that they don't get the same benefit in the former and completely ignore the latter.

Someone once said, "Government is not the solution to the problem; GOVERNMENT IS THE PROBLEM."

The solution to the problem, coinciding with TERM LIMITS, is a simple FLAT TAX. Put both propositions on the general election ballots and not the desires of the most corrupt thieves in America. I can't understand why We The People ever allowed the thieves to get away with it.
And that same person oversaw the largest expansion of the federal government since WWII.

The only fair income tax is a flat tax. But then again only people who claim their incomes pay it.

The ideal tax IMO is a consumption tax or a sales tax. Now the necessities should not be taxed so food, prescription drugs, and clothing (up to $100 dollars per item) should never be taxed

LYING Dems bloviate about paying your 'fair share' while vampire sucking the poor and working class at every turn. Our Dem led state is jacking up the gas tax to $1 a gallon on Jan, 1st. Thanks Dems.

Forum List

Back