What is a 'fair share'?

What is the 'fair share' that taxpayers should pay?

We hear a lot from the left that rich Americans should pay their 'fair share.'

President Trump said the USA paid the huge lion's share of NATO, the UN, etc. and other countries should pay their 'fair share.'

Let's be honest that yes, the government can collect taxes, print money, sell bonds to cover some of its debt, but in the end it is we Americans who live with the consequences of tax policy and what the government spends money on.

So how do we define a 'fair share' that we should pay and/or others should pay?

A fair share is the we all pay enough to cover the spending we allow the Govt to do in our name.

What is not fair is leaving it all for our children and grand children.

A fair share is the we all pay enough to cover the spending we allow the Govt to do in our name.

But can you be more specific. How much of our income should we allow the government to spend in our name? And what if the most things government spends our money on, we would never have allowed had we had a choice?

But can you be more specific. How much of our income should we allow the government to spend in our name? And what if the most things government spends our money on, we would never have allowed had we had a choice?

Here is what I would do if I were king for a day. I would pass a law that once the spending has been set for the coming year the taxes for every American are adjusted to cover the amount of spending approved, plus 10% to pay down the debt.

I do not know what that amount would be, and do not really care. Let the people feel the pain the spending they approve. My theory is that after one year of that the outcry would be so loud that our elected officials would stop their out of control spending.

If that does not happen then we get what we deserve.

What cannot keep happening is the immoral approval of adding debt to our kids and grandkids due to our own greed.

Holy Jeezus!!!! You just discovered "SHARE THE WEALTH!"

Golfing Gator FOR CONGRESS! You'll be loved and admired! You'll be famous! People will name their kids after you! I can see a candy bar in the future. Just think, ads will say "Gator Nutz, Melts in your hand and your mouth!"

Here is what I would do if I were king for a day. I would pass a law that once the spending has been set for the coming year the taxes for every American are adjusted to cover the amount of spending approved, plus 10% to pay down the debt.

I do not know what that amount would be, and do not really care. Let the people feel the pain the spending they approve. My theory is that after one year of that the outcry would be so loud that our elected officials would stop their out of control spending.

What cannot keep happening is the immoral approval of adding debt to our kids and grandkids due to our own greed.

Puleeeeze God! Somebody shoot meeeeee!

You have far more faith in government than I do. That's allowing the government to do any damn thing it wants, not a government of, for, and by the people.

The rich must pay their fair share is nothing but a mindless bumpersticker slogan attempting to lure people into voting Dem.

The Dems do not believe this.

The rich must pay their fair share, but members of Congress can use inside information to trade stocks?

You have far more faith in government than I do. That's allowing the government to do any damn thing it wants, not a government of, for, and by the people.

That is what they do now.

We have the power of the voting booth, but we do not use it and just keep voting the same people into office because we are not feeling the pain of our actions.

Let me ask you this, if you knew a father that was running up massive amount of debt buying whatever he wanted, know he would never have to pay it but that his kids would be stuck with the debt....how would you view that person?

That is what we are doing as a country, and each election we give it our approval.

How can you approve of such an immoral action?

The rich must pay their fair share is nothing but a mindless bumpersticker slogan attempting to lure people into voting Dem.

The Dems do not believe this.

The rich must pay their fair share, but members of Congress can use inside information to trade stocks?

Limo liberals are the WORST virtue signaller's. The MV illegal fiasco proves this!!

That is what they do now.

We have the power of the voting booth, but we do not use it and just keep voting the same people into office because we are not feeling the pain of our actions.

Let me ask you this, if you knew a father that was running up massive amount of debt buying whatever he wanted, know he would never have to pay it but that his kids would be stuck with the debt....how would you view that person?

That is what we are doing as a country, and each election we give it our approval.

How can you approve of such an immoral action?
It is the bane of the democratic process. If enough people vote for an irresponsible, even evil, person, that person is elected regardless of my opinion of that person. When one party controls the process and methods of the vote, controls the media, controls how the vote is counted, should they in power be unethical, those not in that party have little or no say in who will have the power to govern us or how they will govern and their opinion counts for nothing.

But that is a separate issue from the premise of the OP. Biden and other talking heads keep saying that the rich need to pay their fair share. I don't buy the theory that it is whatever they say it is. I want to know what is a fair share?

What is the fair share for the USA to pay to participate in NATO or help with the war in the Ukraine or any other international project or venture?

But that is a separate issue from the premise of the OP. Biden and other talking heads keep saying that the rich need to pay their fair share. I don't buy the theory that it is whatever they say it is. I want to know what is a fair share?

What is the fair share for the USA to pay to participate in NATO or help with the war in the Ukraine or any other international project or venture?

And I told you the only real fair share, we all pay enough to cover the spending we approved of in the voting booth for the last 50 years.

The rest is is just a smoke screen.

And I told you the only real fair share, we all pay enough to cover the spending we approved of in the voting booth for the last 50 years.

The rest is is just a smoke screen.
Too vague. I never approved government spending millions to study whether pigeons follow the same economic principles as humans. There is nothing constitutional about such expenditure. I should not be taxed to cover that expense.

Someone once said, "Government is not the solution to the problem; GOVERNMENT IS THE PROBLEM."

The solution to the problem, coinciding with TERM LIMITS, is a simple FLAT TAX. Put both propositions on the general election ballots and not the desires of the most corrupt thieves in America. I can't understand why We The People ever allowed the thieves to get away with it.
Hoss, there is no Constitutional authorization for a ballot initiative. That's why we elect Representatives and Senators.

I totally agree. That’s why I also believe that the budget process needs an overhaul. No longer do we try to make income meet spending… instead we determine the approximate tax revenue and limit the budget to 90% of that number. Hard Stop. Any excess monies at the end of the year go into an “emergency” fund that requires 2/3 of both houses of Congress, 6/9 Supreme Court Justices and 2/3 of the State Governors to approve touching.
Supreme Court Justices and state Governors have no input into the federal government's budget. Did you ever take a course in government or civics? If you did, you must have failed miserably!

A "fair share" can really only be expressed in terms of a percentage.

As such, we should have a flat tax. Everyone pays the same percentage of their income.

How that's not fair is a mystery to me...

Forum List

Back