What income constitutes being middle class?

48 grand is a pittance. Let's be honest that doesn't sniff lower middle class ANYwhere today. Non survivable wage.

I'd say 100 grand gets one into middle class. Less than that doesn't.
A good question but you obviously didn't work too hard on the answer.

Let's work the math. Family of 3. Rents 2 br.

Rent: The bank type say you should spend about 30% of your income on housing.
Say rent is 1750/month
and a middle class income in this region would be $30k for family of 3.

BUT

What about a place like Manhattan or SF where rents for a 2BR apt easily go $5k that puts middle class entry at about $86k.

Point is that "middle class" income varies depending upon location and other factors.

Yes I don't argue that. But overall it takes 6 figures to get a tiny bit ahead in america today.

48 grand is a pittance. Let's be honest that doesn't sniff lower middle class ANYwhere today. Non survivable wage.
Depends on where you live...48k in LA is poor...48k in Twin Falls Idaho is livable..in fact, you can save money, buy a house and start a family on that kind of money.
I'm talking take-home, of course. Probably 65k gross--or about 30$ hr with some reasonable overtime. You can still rent a studio for $400 month. 2 bedroom house for 650-850. Buy a house on the canyon for 700k---1/3rd of what it would cost elsewhere.

But middle class/ Hell..I could make the argument that there is no such animal, any more..as we defined it in the 1950-70's. Blue collar workers who make enough to afford to buy their own home, send kids to college--vacation every year and retire with no worries? With minimal credit?

People LIVE like they are all that..but it's all front, for many. Fueled by credit...and apt to vanish in a heartbeat.

You asked a question. I gave you the answer that Pew Research gave. As for sniffing lower middle class? People with a bit of financial common sense have been living on that for some time--it takes a little doing--not going out for dinner, driving less than desirable cars, not having cell phones and internet, but it can and is done.

If you go by what the Cost of Living raises should have been (if they were kept up), since they cut them from employees wages back in the 70's.............in addition to the working wage raise of 10% per year that was cut to 3% and lower...........

For the 2020's (these rates are the lowest end of each level)--

The poverty level would be around $22.00 an hour, or $45,760 a year.
The poor level would be around $25.00 an hour, or $52,000 a year.
Mid level would be around $31.25 an hour, or $65,000 a year.
Wealthy Mid level would be around $37.00 an hour, or $76,960 a year.
Wealthy level would be about $45.00 an hour, or $93,600 a year...up to $100K a year.

If you want the real wage for middle class today, if the standards of the entire wage, raise, and Cost of Living raises were still as they were 40+ years ago.................
You would be looking at around $40.00 an hour, or $83,200 a year.

I ran across this private economics journalists article back in the early 90's. I had it saved on my pc, but the damn thing caught a virus and I lost most everything on my pc, including that article. He did a wonderful job explaining in detail how the entire economic factor of wages and raises and benefits worked in this country, before companies got so fucking greedy and cut everything down about 80%.

I'm still trying to find it, but I don't remember his name or the publisher that printed his article. If I ever find it again, I will definitely post it.

I'd say 100 grand gets one into middle class. Less than that doesn't.
Depends on the rent or the mortgage payment, mostly. You either rent or you still owe money on a home as middle class. That's about right for Bay Area San Francisco or other high rent Districts, but there are other areas.

It's a certain "High California" lifestyle, not so much a precise level of income.

Two earners, a married couple, can easily have that "middle class" lifestyle in most cases.

Other areas of the U.S. are much cheaper to live in, but wages and business opportunities to make money are much scarcer.

Forum List

Back