What holidays do you celebrate

As a kid it was Halloween, Rosh H , New Years and Hanukkah And Passover

As middle aged it’s just the super bowl

What about you

We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve for whatever reason. Always have since I was a tot and probably will til I am carried away in a pine box. Other than that, not much. Sure we observed all the big holidays growing up, but that has never really been anything in particular. Low key stuff.

What about you
Mainly just the moon landing in '69. It's the day before my people landed on earth.

Well, okay . . .

Holi
Hindu New Year
Ram Navami
Easter
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Diwali
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas
New Year's Eve/Day
Birthdays
Anniversaries

Family celebrations are big with us at the moment.

What about you

Wow, so far a lot of USMBers who don't celebrate holidays. Hmmm.

First, I like regular days better than holidays. I'm a happy person I guess and find plenty to celebrate in the everyday, and the big brouhaha over holidays can be overwhelming. I really like:

Thanksgiving
Fourth of July (Happy Fourth!)
Easter

All of the above are meaningful without having a bunch of expectations. I also like but don't love

Christmas
Valentine's Day
Mother's and Father's Day
Other holidays like Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, President's Day etc

Don't love:

Halloween
Labor Day (what even is that?)

I don't celebrate any holidays but I love them all. I love seeing the decorations and the movies. I watch all the Christmas Hallmark movies. The Scify movies at Halloween. I just don't celebrate any.
Watching the films alone might be a form of celebrating. Maybe the better question is how do you celebrate whatever holiday it is that you celebrate?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day, New Years, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, and the 4th of July.

Watching the films alone might be a form of celebrating. Maybe the better question is how do you celebrate whatever holiday it is that you celebrate?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day, New Years, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, and the 4th of July.
I do not celebrate any holiday. They are all just like any other day.

I celebrate St Patrick's Day, because I am Irish.
I celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day.
I celebrate Memorial Day, because the fallen should never be forgotten.
I celebrate Halloween because it is the best holiday on the calendar.
I celebrate Veteran's Day, because those who served should be remembered. (I call every veteran I know to say Thank You)
I celebrate Thanksgiving because it is a time for family.

And I have a personal holiday I celebrate in December.
Yet St. Patrick wasn't Irish.

True, but I am and I like the holiday.
Holidays is a funny moment. It throws up many questions, like -

1) Why do they celebrate a past event?

2) What does a particular holiday mean to them?

3) Do they know the history of the holiday?

4) What if they celebrate the holiday, but the holiday conflicts with their views? So does it warrant a pass to being a hypocrite?

5) What do they physically do to show they're celebrating a certain holiday?

Anyone can celebrate any holiday they want, never bothers me, I just find it interesting.

For example, Thanksgiving is traced to the 1620s when European settlers invited Native Americans to a feast. The settlers later killed the population and gave thanks to God for allowing them to slaughter the "savages." But I imagine Americans celebrate it because of believing it's some kind of Harvest Festival, I think, so if an American now knows it stems from slaughtering the Indians, will they now stop celebrating it?

I think many celebrate most certain days because they where brought up doing so because of their parents.

Christmas, Thanksgiving ,Easter , 4th of July. Family never big on celebrating birthdays. Observed vets/ rememberance day by going to the cemetery and cleaning up graves. Participated in Halloween not celebrated I like the Fall festivals put on by churches better. ( Always observed first friday before deer season.);)

The Scots celebrate Robert Burns. He died young (aged 37) because he shagged anything that moved. Ask any Scot what did Burns produced or wrote, a tiny tiny handful might list a handful, some will say Auld Lang Syne, and the vast majority of the population and planet haven't a clue what he wrote, yet he's a national hero. Weird.

Forum List

Back