What happened to TRUE bi-partanship?

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
Midwestern U.S.
Back in the 80's, President Regan (republican) and Tip O'Neal (democrat & majority whip) would leave contentiousness outside the the capitol steps and socialize, and have lunch together frequently. We lost that, and I miss that. I know it sounds pat, but...united we stand, divided we fall.

Back in the 80's, President Regan (republican) and Tip O'Neal (democrat & majority whip) would leave contentiousness outside the the capitol steps and socialize, and have lunch together frequently. We lost that, and I miss that. I know it sounds pat, but...united we stand, divided we fall.
why get fucked over by one party when you can get fucked over by two of them??

You can thank Newt Gingrich and his "Revolution" for the end of that. That's where it all started to end.

Reid/McConnell and then Trump put the final nail in the coffin. That’s how bipartisanship died

• Banned
However you slice it, this political rancor isn't doing any of us any favors. I have My own incites on how this evolved. (It involves foreign intervention). Take a breather and refrain from blaming the "other". Just STOP. We NEVER where at each others throats like this before. Offer a handshake. Just stop playing the hate game.

However you slice it, this political rancor isn't doing any of us any favors. I have My own incites on how this evolved. (It involves foreign intervention). Take a breather and refrain from blaming the "other". Just STOP. We NEVER where at each others throats like this before. Offer a handshake. Just stop playing the hate game.
Naive much? Because of the routine backstabbing by Congressional Democrats, Reagan was unable to achieve much of his agenda, neither was HW Bush, his successor.

Great Post Mary.

Where did it start?

I imagine it has always been part of the political spectrum.
But this is where it starts for me.

When McConnell said, "That means that we can — and should — propose and vote on straight repeal, repeatedly," McConnell said.

This happened in the past, McConnell Raised it to the 100% level and it has stayed there since.
This is totally on McConnell and trump.

NOPE…not a fucking chance in hell.
Be careful, your post wreaks of typical, predictable conservative cowardice…Conservatives don’t know how to play hardball, they always cave.
Good real Americans should HATE Democrats like Hitler hated Jews…Democrats are America’s worse enemy and they should be treated as such…NO EXCEPTIONS!

Last edited:
I believe there is common ground between the far left and the far right: the federal government, in it's current form, should be shut down. Both sides have vastly different reasons for suggesting it.

And I also believe that will be the defining question: do you support an all powerful government that can and will control every aspect of your life, or do you support a smaller, more pacifist, roll for the national government?

All other issues will not be settled.

Be careful, your post wreaks of typical, predictable conservative cowardice…Conservatives don’t know how to play hardbal, they always cave.
Good real Americans should HATE Democrats like Hitler hated Jews…Democrats are America’s worse enemy and they should be treated as such…NO EXCEPTIONS!
Give it a rest Tonto... You aren't the enlightened super American you think you are. YOU are the problem

Trump did things like that all the time, just never reached mainstream.

Basement Joe can't, one because he not cognitive, two his people can't trust him, and three because people think he's creepy.

Money, money and MONEY. With the Koch brothers (especially) throwing money at politics, it become something else.

Be careful, your post wreaks of typical, predictable conservative cowardice…Conservatives don’t know how to play hardball, they always cave.

This is the guy (BrokeLoser) who claims to be a graduate school drop out ladies and gentlemen.

Bi-partisanship is dead. There is just too much baggage and policy differences between the parties to agree on anything. Just look at the southern border as an example. The GOP wants to control immigration and the democrats want open borders because they think they can win elections with millions of new democrat voters. So we will ping-pong policies going forward, whoever wins elections will re-write the laws and Exec Orders.
Build the wall, tear down the wall, build the wall, tear down the wall.....

LOL...its rather absurd for the OP to bring up missing bipartisanship considering the vile hate she spews on a regular basis.

As for the topic at hand; politics is a profession; best left to the professionals. You wouldn't ask your stylist to represent you in court, or your mechanic to perform surgery on your knee...but somehow we are under the collective impression that we should stock the halls of power with stylists and mechanics who, while being wonderful people, have zero idea about governing.

I'll pick on Marjorie Taylor Greene...just because she's the poster child for what I'm talking about and she always deserves to be trotted out as everything that is wrong with our government--because she is; in more ways than one..

From Wikipedia:

"In 2002, Greene's father sold Taylor Commercial, a general contractor based in Alpharetta, Georgia that he founded, to Greene and her husband, Perry.[1][28][33] The couple are vice president and president, respectively, of the company.[28]

Greene was listed as the chief financial officer of Taylor Commercial from 2007 to 2011,[1] but a 2021 Atlanta Journal-Constitution investigation determined that she had no significant presence at the company.[34] In 2011, Greene stepped down as the company's CFO and began CrossFit training.[34]

By 2012, Greene was working as a part-time coach at an Alpharetta CrossFit gym.[1] In August 2013, she co-founded a CrossFit gym, CrossFit Passion, in Alpharetta, along with Travis Mayer, a CrossFit athlete, before leaving the business in early 2017.[35] In a 2015 interview, Greene said that when she and Mayer founded the gym, they knew little about how to run a business.[34]

In 2021, Greene said that she became politically engaged during the 2016 Republican presidential primaries.[36] Beginning in 2017, she wrote 59 articles as a correspondent for the now defunct American Truth Seekers, a conspiracy news website,[11] and beginning in January 2018, 27 articles for Law Enforcement Today,[2][37] a pro-police fake news website.[38][39] In 2017, Greene visited Washington, D.C. to protest against a Republican gun control compromise.[40]"

Somehow, the people in her district looked at her qualifications as the CFO of a construction company, a cross fit coach, and working for a kook website and said, "yes, that is who I want to represent me". If this dumb bitch runs for Congress, she may win.. Could you imagine this dumbfuck debating a treaty or questioning a nominee for a federal judge position? You don't have to...Tommy Tubberville is already in the Senate with precisely zero experience in any such matter.

We get the government we deserve. We need to do a better job hiring people to govern. And then....We need to let them govern. No...your stylist or your mechanic are not qualified to be in Congress. We need to remove the "gotcha" motivation from the legislators and let them actually horse trade to get bills through congress. We need to, once again, allow earmarks. The system we had before wasn't perfect...but it worked. Government no longer works. So we can't do big things any longer. We can scarcely do small things either by the way.

EDIT:::

Speaking to the OP just a bit... Once you begin getting cooperation, then you can have a working relationship. But since neither side has any cards to play because we've tied their hands with the "gotcha" moments... there is no horse to trade from either side.

Last edited:
Bi-partisanship is dead. There is just too much baggage and policy differences between the parties to agree on anything. Just look at the southern border as an example. The GOP wants to control immigration and the democrats want open borders because they think they can win elections with millions of new democrat voters. So we will ping-pong policies going forward, whoever wins elections will re-write the laws. Build the wall, tear down the wall, build the wall, tear down the wall.....

Meanwhile back in reality, the AZ audit (a border state) didn't find any massive fraud. Try again.

New Topics

Forum List

Back