What happened to liberals pushing gun control?

Ya think? Didn't we learn of a man in New Jersey who is spending 7 years in prison because he had unloaded, broken down guns in the trunk of his car?

I think we did.

so are you saying that the o/p is a lie?

I'm saying if liberals could take our guns they would. You Betcha! Why else is that man in prison for having a broken down unloaded gun in his trunk, by the way did you read the links I posted about child rapists getting nothing more than probation?

No... we're talking about since 1994.
To that end, I havent seen your effective response.
You need to read your own thread pal
If you dont have a sound response to the issue put forth here, you should simply choose to not respond.

We're talking about since 1994.
To that end, I havent seen your effective response.

You got your response from the liberals.....you just don't like what you hear

rightwinger
Sewer Worker
Member #20321 Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanked 3,429 Times in 2,385 Posts

Quote: Originally Posted by M14 Shooter
What happened to liberals pushing gun control?

At one point, they pushed it rather strongly. Nowadays its hardly ever brought up.

If the anti-gun crowd is so right, if their argument is so sound – why pull back from the issue?
It is the NRA that relies on the liberals to periodically push some minor gun control legislation.

Without the "Libruls gunna take your guns away" mantra, the NRA would have zero fund raising

Gun control is not a major issue with Liberals any more and it hasn't been for some time. It is the NRA whipping the "Liberal Gun Control Boogeyman" that is driving the issue from the right

You got your response from the liberals.....you just don't like what you hear
On the contrary -- I got a lot of response that dont make any sense, given the facts surrounding the issue.

Gun control is not a major issue with Liberals any more and it hasn't been for some time.
I know. That's what I said.
I then asked for a reason for the change in position, given how hard it was pushed.

Last edited:
The OP is finding out that the "They are Going to Take our Guns!" mantra was fantasy all along?
Strawman.
The question asks why the liberals have 'stopped pushing gun control', not 'stopped trying to take away our guns'.
Ya' have to forgive Bodecea.....She's not exactly the brightest light on the ol' christmas tree o' life.......Reading comprehension is definitely not her strong suit.......That's why we constantly catch her trying to nail Jello to the wall.:cuckoo:

The largest gun control law passed in the last thirty years was initiated by a Reagan Republican
This is either a lie, or ignorance, or both.

Two Ohio Democrats, Representative Edward F. Feighan and Senator Howard M. Metzenbaum, introduced the Brady Bill for the first time in the 100th Congress on February 4, 1987.
Battle Over the Brady Bill

The largest gun control law passed in the last thirty years was initiated by a Reagan Republican
This is either a lie, or ignorance, or both.

Two Ohio Democrats, Representative Edward F. Feighan and Senator Howard M. Metzenbaum, introduced the Brady Bill for the first time in the 100th Congress on February 4, 1987.
Battle Over the Brady Bill

Who was Jim Brady? Who's administration did he work for?

Last I heard, he took a bullet for Ron Reagan

I'm sorry - I already cited the people that introduced the Brady Bill to congress.
Neither was Jim Brady and neither was a Republican.

Thus, you were either lying or didn't know any better, when you stated that "The largest gun control law passed in the last thirty years was initiated by a Reagan Republican."
Your call on that.

The origins of American gun control was a racist one. It was an attempt to keep guns out of the hands of blacks. And it was democrats that were the big pushers.

Well, that would have been:

1. Before the racists switched over to the Republican party after the Civil Rights act, when the Republican party was made up of "Liberals" like Teddy Roosevelt.

and

2. a loooong loooong time ago.

Like Byrd! Sure, just keep believing. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Racists in the DNC. Every Conservative Black is an Uncle Tom, right??? That's just fact, not Racism!!! Fucking good one there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep those Brothers away from the Tea Party. Pressure them and discourage them from going to Rallies. I get it. ;) Clear as a bell. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, can you put more hyperbole in one statement? Did I say ANYTHING about all conservatives being racist, or all black conservatives being "uncle Toms"? No, I did not, because I don't believe that to be the case at all. And how did the "Tea Party" even become part of the conversation?

What I DID say was that a whole lot of racists switched to the Republican party in the sixties and after, mainly due to the Civil Rights Act.

Does the name Strom Thurman ring any bells for you? He's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Here, this is from Wiki, and should refresh your selective memory:

James Strom Thurmond (December 5, 1902 – June 26, 2003) was an American politician who served as the 103rd Governor of South Carolina and as a United States Senator. He also ran for the Presidency of the United States in 1948 as the segregationist States Rights Democratic Party (Dixiecrat) candidate, receiving 2.4% of the popular vote and 39 electoral votes. Thurmond later represented South Carolina in the United States Senate from 1954 to April 1956 and November 1956 to January 2003, at first as a Democrat and after 1964 as a Republican, switching parties as the conservative base shifted.

Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And why is it that Sen Byrd seems to be the only example of a racist politician that Republicans have any knowledge of? The lone Dixiecrat that remained after all the others were voted out in favor of Republican candidates.

I'm sorry - I already cited the people that introduced the Brady Bill to congress.
Neither was Jim Brady and neither was a Republican.

Thus, you were either lying or didn't know any better, when you stated that "The largest gun control law passed in the last thirty years was initiated by a Reagan Republican."
Your call on that.

Last I checked, Press Secretaries are not allowed to introduce legislation

Jim Brady remained Reagans Press Secretary after the shooting. If, as a Republican, he opposed his name being used on the legislation...he could have had it taken off

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brady

Brady subsequently led lobbying efforts for stricter handgun control and is in the leadership of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, also known simply as the Brady Bill, was named in his honor.

He and his wife, Sarah, have founded the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Sarah and James Brady were each awarded a doctorate degree (of Humane Letters) by Drexel University in 1993. Jim received the honorary degree of doctor of laws from McKendree College, Lebanon, Illinois, in 1982.

In 1996, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Bill Clinton, the highest civilian award in the United States

Last edited:
If they were that radical, there wouldn't be so many of them.

The Westboro Baptist church is one church. I have multiple sources.

Oh there's lots more crazy "militia" types and far right extremists out there, Westboro was just an example.

Well then - knowing that, and that Brady was a press sect'y, you clearly knew that Brady didnt initiate the legislation. Thus, your statement that "The largest gun control law passed in the last thirty years was initiated by a Reagan Republican." was, indeed, a lie.

Last edited:
The OP is finding out that the "They are Going to Take our Guns!" mantra was fantasy all along?
Strawman.
The question asks why the liberals have 'stopped pushing gun control', not 'stopped trying to take away our guns'.
Ya' have to forgive Bodecea.....She's not exactly the brightest light on the ol' christmas tree o' life.......Reading comprehension is definitely not her strong suit.......That's why we constantly catch her trying to nail Jello to the wall.:cuckoo:

don't tell her I just sent ya some rep. she'll freak the hell out! :eusa_whistle:

Well then - knowing that, and that Brady was a press sect'y, you clearly knew that Brady didnt initiate the legislation. Thus, your statement that "The largest gun control law passed in the last thirty years was initiated by a Reagan Republican." was, indeed, a lie.

Brady subsequently led lobbying efforts for stricter handgun control and is in the leadership of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Who was it that lobbied Congress for the Brady Bill? Who was the leader of the Brady Campaign to prevent Gun violence?

Could it be Republican Jim Brady?

Are you willing to call the man who took a bullet for Reagan a RINO?

Well, that would have been:

1. Before the racists switched over to the Republican party after the Civil Rights act, when the Republican party was made up of "Liberals" like Teddy Roosevelt.

and

2. a loooong loooong time ago.

Like Byrd! Sure, just keep believing. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Racists in the DNC. Every Conservative Black is an Uncle Tom, right??? That's just fact, not Racism!!! Fucking good one there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep those Brothers away from the Tea Party. Pressure them and discourage them from going to Rallies. I get it. ;) Clear as a bell. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, can you put more hyperbole in one statement? Did I say ANYTHING about all conservatives being racist, or all black conservatives being "uncle Toms"? No, I did not, because I don't believe that to be the case at all. And how did the "Tea Party" even become part of the conversation?

What I DID say was that a whole lot of racists switched to the Republican party in the sixties and after, mainly due to the Civil Rights Act.

Does the name Strom Thurman ring any bells for you? He's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Here, this is from Wiki, and should refresh your selective memory:

James Strom Thurmond (December 5, 1902 – June 26, 2003) was an American politician who served as the 103rd Governor of South Carolina and as a United States Senator. He also ran for the Presidency of the United States in 1948 as the segregationist States Rights Democratic Party (Dixiecrat) candidate, receiving 2.4% of the popular vote and 39 electoral votes. Thurmond later represented South Carolina in the United States Senate from 1954 to April 1956 and November 1956 to January 2003, at first as a Democrat and after 1964 as a Republican, switching parties as the conservative base shifted.

Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And why is it that Sen Byrd seems to be the only example of a racist politician that Republicans have any knowledge of? The lone Dixiecrat that remained after all the others were voted out in favor of Republican candidates.
Uh, Woodrow Wilson, Al Gore Sr., William Fulbright, Sam Ervin. The 21 DEM senators who voted against the Civil Rights Act, while only 4 Republicans in the senate voted against it.

Strawman.

don't tell her I just sent ya some rep. she'll freak the hell out! :eusa_whistle:
LMAO!......You've got a rep coming for that one!:razz:

Forum List

Back