What Happened to Church?

How much did they hit you up for that?

Churches don't "hit up". They pass an offering plate, you contribute or you don't, and you're still welcome to attend whether you give or not.

If you attended church, you'd know that.
I went to church as a youngin'. They pass the plate around, as everyone gives you the eye to see what you're dropping in. What did you give? What's the going rate today?

None of your business, nosy. Seems like you acquired a little too much of the "giving the eye" mentality.

Can't say as I've ever noticed people paying all that much attention to it in the churches I've attended. They typically do it during the song service, and people are more focused on that than on the plate going by.

Churches don't "hit up". They pass an offering plate, you contribute or you don't, and you're still welcome to attend whether you give or not.

I went to church as a youngin'. They pass the plate around, as everyone gives you the eye to see what you're dropping in. What did you give? What's the going rate today?

None of your business, nosy. Seems like you acquired a little too much of the "giving the eye" mentality.

Can't say as I've ever noticed people paying all that much attention to it in the churches I've attended. They typically do it during the song service, and people are more focused on that than on the plate going by.
If you don't reply anything, I'll know you gave at least $40, if not more. :biggrin:

If you don't reply anything, I'll know you gave at least $40, if not more. :biggrin:

If I reply that I don't give a rat's ass what you "know" or don't know, how will that work out for you?

If I reply that I don't give a rat's ass what you "know" or don't know, how will that work out for you?
You gave MORE THAN $40? :eek-52:

If you don't say, it'll mean that it was AT LEAST $100.

I went to a new church for the first time this morning (because I moved to a new city a few months back, and now I need to find a new church home), and I have to say I don't feel even remotely sufficiently churched.

Maybe I'm just really old-fashioned. I grew up in the same two churches throughout my life; in fact, my husband and I were married in one of them. They were both good-sized, but neither was a "mega-church", and it was not only possible to know everyone in the church, it was impossible NOT to. The services took upwards of two hours from start to finish, and they happened three times a week. When the service ended, there were often people still praying at the altars (this church doesn't even HAVE altars), and it took at least another hour for people to get done talking and interacting and head out the doors. The song service was inclusive; the entire congregation worshipping God through music together.

This service was over in an hour; the song service was the "worship team" - basically a music group - giving a performance with lights and videos on screens and a FOG MACHINE, for crying out loud. It was a lot more like going to a concert than anything interactive. Everyone was out the door in about fifteen minutes, the pastors (they apparently have a huge heirarchy of them) were nowhere in sight, and there was no effort made to even identify new attendees, much less meet them and make them feel welcome. The sermon was still on-point in the Word of God, and they don't seem to have edited out the "icky" parts so many churches do - y'know, references to the Crucifixion, blood, death, Hell, all that uncomfortable stuff - but I have to wonder how you're supposed to learn and grow and connect with the Christian community and draw closer to God when an hour a week of listening to other people perform is all the effort you put into it.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

I went to a new church for the first time this morning (because I moved to a new city a few months back, and now I need to find a new church home), and I have to say I don't feel even remotely sufficiently churched.

Maybe I'm just really old-fashioned. I grew up in the same two churches throughout my life; in fact, my husband and I were married in one of them. They were both good-sized, but neither was a "mega-church", and it was not only possible to know everyone in the church, it was impossible NOT to. The services took upwards of two hours from start to finish, and they happened three times a week. When the service ended, there were often people still praying at the altars (this church doesn't even HAVE altars), and it took at least another hour for people to get done talking and interacting and head out the doors. The song service was inclusive; the entire congregation worshipping God through music together.

This service was over in an hour; the song service was the "worship team" - basically a music group - giving a performance with lights and videos on screens and a FOG MACHINE, for crying out loud. It was a lot more like going to a concert than anything interactive. Everyone was out the door in about fifteen minutes, the pastors (they apparently have a huge heirarchy of them) were nowhere in sight, and there was no effort made to even identify new attendees, much less meet them and make them feel welcome. The sermon was still on-point in the Word of God, and they don't seem to have edited out the "icky" parts so many churches do - y'know, references to the Crucifixion, blood, death, Hell, all that uncomfortable stuff - but I have to wonder how you're supposed to learn and grow and connect with the Christian community and draw closer to God when an hour a week of listening to other people perform is all the effort you put into it.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting
Will they make me some oats?

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

As surely as they will beat you in football.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

Do I get some milk maids in the haystack?

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

Do I get some milk maids in the haystack?

Nope. A needle.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

The Quakers are the most honest and devoted people I have ever come across, and they remain the closest to the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. Thankfully they were there when I fled Catholicism in my early teens; when we wore jeans and old army jackets, and they welcomed us teenagers and allowed us to sit on the floor in front of the fireplace during worship service.They remain one of the very few variations of Christianity whom I still trust and respect. Whatever happens with people who now say that they are "Christians," Quakers live it.

I enjoy a medium size congregation (700 to 1000) membership with several services and several adult Sunday School classes. Wednesday night worship service is an added bonus.

Ask the Pastor how to serve in your church. You may catch him flat footed.

Best luck in getting to know your new family.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

The Quakers are the most honest and devoted people I have ever come across, and they remain the closest to the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. Thankfully they were there when I fled Catholicism in my early teens; when we wore jeans and old army jackets, and they welcomed us teenagers and allowed us to sit on the floor in front of the fireplace during worship service.They remain one of the very few variations of Christianity whom I still trust and respect. Whatever happens with people who now say that they are "Christians," Quakers live it.

I think people have to be taken individually but Quakers are truly people who strive to operate with integrity.

I usually snuck in a coupon or two.

I read that years ago, in the 1800s, each ministry of Quakers would ask a prospective groom/bride to appear before a committee of the church to explain why he or she had chosen this particular person to be his or her partner in matrimony. GOOD.! Excellent! While they would erect a partition between the male and female congregants for the purpose of discussion of issues confronting the congregation, the side that finished first in finding consensus, would sent an emissary over to the other side to deliver their determination. GOOD. Presumably, the two sides would then arrive at the consensus of the meeting.

I sorta miss church. But....its too much drama now. Once upon a time, one could just walk in to any church to sit in solitude and converse privately with God...but nowadays, the church is locked up tight and the preacher lives across town in a fancy condo. Or has a huge house behind the church with even more huge gates to protect his fancy cars.

I have found more peace out in the woods near the creek...or at the beach. Alone. Than in a church.

I left "church" along time ago. It's better to be alone with one's own thoughts. If one has any thoughts about believing in Jesus, go Quaker.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

Fairly certain I don't agree with Quakers on much of anything beyond the very basics. I've been a fundamentalist Protestant my whole life, and don't plan to change.

Try a Quaker Meeting.
Find a Quaker Meeting

I'll certainly give your opinion of religion all the respect and consideration it deserves.

I sorta miss church. But....its too much drama now. Once upon a time, one could just walk in to any church to sit in solitude and converse privately with God...but nowadays, the church is locked up tight and the preacher lives across town in a fancy condo. Or has a huge house behind the church with even more huge gates to protect his fancy cars.

I have found more peace out in the woods near the creek...or at the beach. Alone. Than in a church.

Peace and solitude aren't really the point of church. One can pray anywhere, since God is everywhere, but the purposes of church are fellowship with other Christians (which definitely means putting up with the friction that goes along with interacting with humans, since it's rather hard for God to teach us patience, compassion, and love without it) and learning from the experienced and revelations and insights of others.

I haven't a lot of patience with preachers who seem to be all about the money and prestige, either, although since I'm not a Catholic, I feel no compulsion to require a vow of poverty from them. I expect my church to pay the pastor a reasonable salary which allows him to provide for his family comfortably (because it's expected in my church for the pastor to marry and have children) without struggling financially. In exchange, I expect the pastor to devote his time and effort toward pastoral duties, such as being in the church on a regular basis (or making certain that an assistant pastor is when he's not available) and being on-call 24 hours a day for visiting the sick and those in crisis. My father died at 3 in the morning the day before Easter, and the pastor showed up right after we called him and prayed with us for hours until he was gone.

Forum List

Back