What happened to auto shop ,machine shop ,woodworking in High schools

What about electronics, IT ,and Robotics shops .....along with auto shop ,welding and wood working

I'm sure counties could repurpose and old school building and set up a whole trade school for kids who are more interested in something like that ....

Ahh that would make to much sense...what we need is more dei and anal sex studies

Those courses did not fit the "College Prep" plans they wanted to push.

But there will be a shortage of people who get their hands dirty for a living.
There already is a shortage.

The thing is all these kids who fell for the go to college , go deep in debt, to get a good job could have made more money in the trades.

I made my living in the trades and instead of having a pile of debt to pay off for an "education" I bought my first rental property before I was 25

(1) Politics aside, the well-meaning push to have all high school graduates enter college has been disastrous.

(2) School districts will often declare something like: "We are delighted to inform the public that 100% of this year's high school graduates have been accepted into college." Of course, when most of those young people soon drop out of college, not a word appears in the media.

(3) There are so many badly needed "trades" that are begging for competent workers, who will be paid very good salaries.

(4) What a pity that so many young people are passing up this opportunity.

(1) Politics aside, the well-meaning push to have all high school graduates enter college has been disastrous.

(2) School districts will often declare something like: "We are delighted to inform the public that 100% of this year's high school graduates have been accepted into college." Of course, when most of those young people soon drop out of college, not a word appears in the media.

(3) There are so many badly needed "trades" that are begging for competent workers, who will be paid very good salaries.

(4) What a pity that so many young people are passing up this opportunity.
No kidding....
Used to be that cabinetry, electrical wiring, auto mechanics. Plumbing, welding, machining and etc were all taught at the high school level...and you could take those classes on further to aircraft mechanics, electrical engineering and design, and becoming a regular contractor.

Contractors can go broke but usually most make a great living before they make a bad deal and make themselves go broke.

There's still a desperate need for aircraft maintenance crew. Still a need for quality electricians, still a need for cabinet makers. Even though the bulk of manufacturing has left the USA there's still a high demand for these trades. These trades used to be common among the population....not so much anymore. So the pay has skyrocketed. They have artificially kept the wages down for a while...until people simply stopped showing up for work. Even today 300% or more turnover at a big job lasting 18 months is not uncommon.

Cabinets in homes has become cheap, mass produced crap...but since we don't have home ec nobody cooks in them anyway.
Men are often the house cooks...women still take care of the kids but they have careers too. And during the winter there's little lawn maintenance for men. That usually means that men have to cook or change diapers...so they often cook family meals.

I've seen what DIYers have done to their homes...I fix it (usually by ripping it all out and starting over) and flip it. Sometimes these DIYers are scary like when they try plumbing or electric wiring and they don't have a clue as to what they are doing....even a simple jacuzzi can be deadly or get their house burned down.

No kidding....
Used to be that cabinetry, electrical wiring, auto mechanics. Plumbing, welding, machining and etc were all taught at the high school level...and you could take those classes on further to aircraft mechanics, electrical engineering and design, and becoming a regular contractor.

Contractors can go broke but usually most make a great living before they make a bad deal and make themselves go broke.

There's still a desperate need for aircraft maintenance crew. Still a need for quality electricians, still a need for cabinet makers. Even though the bulk of manufacturing has left the USA there's still a high demand for these trades. These trades used to be common among the population....not so much anymore. So the pay has skyrocketed. They have artificially kept the wages down for a while...until people simply stopped showing up for work. Even today 300% or more turnover at a big job lasting 18 months is not uncommon.

Cabinets in homes has become cheap, mass produced crap...but since we don't have home ec nobody cooks in them anyway.
Men are often the house cooks...women still take care of the kids but they have careers too. And during the winter there's little lawn maintenance for men. That usually means that men have to cook or change diapers...so they often cook family meals.

I've seen what DIYers have done to their homes...I fix it (usually by ripping it all out and starting over) and flip it. Sometimes these DIYers are scary like when they try plumbing or electric wiring and they don't have a clue as to what they are doing....even a simple jacuzzi can be deadly or get their house burned down.
Anyone can go broke no matter what profession they are in.

To toxic?
Here are list of K-12 programs in one VA county center. Some are fun, some are practical. The center has a 4-bay automotive shop with all the fixings.
Health & Medical Sciences PathwayHuman & Public Service Pathway
  • Biotechnology Techniques & Applications
  • Emergency Medical Technician / Human Anatomy & Physiology
  • Forensic Technology with application in Biotechnology
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Health Sciences
  • Medical Terminology
  • Physical Therapy / Sports Medicine Technology
  • Technical Animal Science / Veterinary Science I & II
  • Advanced Animal Science / Small Animal Care I & II
  • Air Force Junior ROTC (I/II; III/IV; V/VI)
  • Barbering (I, II, III)
  • Cosmetology (I, II, III)
  • Culinary Arts & Science (I, II, III)
  • Early Childhood Education (I, II)
  • Teachers for Tomorrow (I, II)
Digital Media & Information Technology PathwayIndustrial Service & Engineering Pathway
  • Computer Information Systems (Advanced)
  • Introduction to Information Technology
  • Computer Programming (Advanced / Intensified)
  • Cybersecurity (I, II)
  • Database Design & Management
  • Webpage Design & Multimedia
  • Digital Animation
  • Graphic Communications Systems
  • Photo & Video Technology (I, II)
  • Television Production
  • Television & Multimedia Production (II, III)
  • Entrepreneurship (Advanced)
  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Automotive Collision Repair (I, II, III)
  • Automotive Technology (I, II, III)
  • Aviation Technology
  • Computer Assisted Technical Drawing
  • Computer Assisted Architectural Drawing
  • Computer Assisted Engineering Drawing
  • Construction Technology
  • Sustainable & Renewable Technologies
  • Electricity (I, II)
  • Engineering (I, II)
  • Digital Electronics
  • Computer Integrated Production Engineering
  • Materials & Process Technology
  • Robotic Design

Here are list of K-12 programs in one VA county center. Some are fun, some are practical. The center has a 4-bay automotive shop with all the fixings.
Health & Medical Sciences PathwayHuman & Public Service Pathway
  • Biotechnology Techniques & Applications
  • Emergency Medical Technician / Human Anatomy & Physiology
  • Forensic Technology with application in Biotechnology
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Health Sciences
  • Medical Terminology
  • Physical Therapy / Sports Medicine Technology
  • Technical Animal Science / Veterinary Science I & II
  • Advanced Animal Science / Small Animal Care I & II
  • Air Force Junior ROTC (I/II; III/IV; V/VI)
  • Barbering (I, II, III)
  • Cosmetology (I, II, III)
  • Culinary Arts & Science (I, II, III)
  • Early Childhood Education (I, II)
  • Teachers for Tomorrow (I, II)
Digital Media & Information Technology PathwayIndustrial Service & Engineering Pathway
  • Computer Information Systems (Advanced)
  • Introduction to Information Technology
  • Computer Programming (Advanced / Intensified)
  • Cybersecurity (I, II)
  • Database Design & Management
  • Webpage Design & Multimedia
  • Digital Animation
  • Graphic Communications Systems
  • Photo & Video Technology (I, II)
  • Television Production
  • Television & Multimedia Production (II, III)
  • Entrepreneurship (Advanced)
  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Automotive Collision Repair (I, II, III)
  • Automotive Technology (I, II, III)
  • Aviation Technology
  • Computer Assisted Technical Drawing
  • Computer Assisted Architectural Drawing
  • Computer Assisted Engineering Drawing
  • Construction Technology
  • Sustainable & Renewable Technologies
  • Electricity (I, II)
  • Engineering (I, II)
  • Digital Electronics
  • Computer Integrated Production Engineering
  • Materials & Process Technology
  • Robotic Design
This is near the new Micron plant which heavily funds such classes. These aren't funded by the government. JR Simplot used to do the same thing when he bought Micron in the early 80's....because nobody understood how to build a chip or use one.

The corporation has continued to fund these sorts of classes because it's necessary for the business...

The district in which I work has very good shop and other vocational programs, including culinary and cosmetology. No need to be a "beauty school dropout," because it is provided "free" (taxpayer expense). Not only are the classes offered, but the kids are encouraged strongly to get an "endorsement" which means they take a series of related courses to learn about things like design and construction, public service, healthcare, ets.

You see kids in construction class working toward getting their safety certification, which allows them to start working at 16, or learnign the difference between the life of a cop and the life of an EMT, and otherwise planning their future. Without those shop classes, those same kids might be sulking in remedial classes, waiting for the time that they can end the humiliation that is high school for the non-college bound.

The push for college is unfortunately partly motivated by how poorly high school educates kids at the present time. You used to be able to get a job on a small or medium sized town newspaper if you had a high school diploma. Because kids learned grammar, syntax, and logicand ethics in those days. Hell, nowadays a college graduate still relies on spell and grammar check and logic is the enemy of journalism.

Texas have finally gotten away from the mentality that all Texas kids should go to college, with the implication that dumbass kids from Lousiana and the like would come to us to dig our ditches, and build our homes.

Just about all skilled trades need higher math and writing capabilities. How to read blueprints and schematics is another basic. Also simple machine language and logic programming for controls. (Processors are here to stay)

Alligation tables aren't a joke to figure out. Neither is trigonometry. Your average HS graduate needs to know what a cosecant is and how to use it...or else they get relegated to carrying materials from place to place by hand because they aren't trusted to use equipment. And they won't last long in a skilled trades career.

It's something much better earning than learning the catch phrase, "Would you like fries or a drink with that?".

The district in which I work has very good shop and other vocational programs, including culinary and cosmetology. No need to be a "beauty school dropout," because it is provided "free" (taxpayer expense). Not only are the classes offered, but the kids are encouraged strongly to get an "endorsement" which means they take a series of related courses to learn about things like design and construction, public service, healthcare, ets.

You see kids in construction class working toward getting their safety certification, which allows them to start working at 16, or learnign the difference between the life of a cop and the life of an EMT, and otherwise planning their future. Without those shop classes, those same kids might be sulking in remedial classes, waiting for the time that they can end the humiliation that is high school for the non-college bound.

The push for college is unfortunately partly motivated by how poorly high school educates kids at the present time. You used to be able to get a job on a small or medium sized town newspaper if you had a high school diploma. Because kids learned grammar, syntax, and logicand ethics in those days. Hell, nowadays a college graduate still relies on spell and grammar check and logic is the enemy of journalism.

Texas have finally gotten away from the mentality that all Texas kids should go to college, with the implication that dumbass kids from Lousiana and the like would come to us to dig our ditches, and build our homes.
Men aren't finishing college on a large scale basis anymore. Women are but men aren't. Which makes that whole m/f dynamic of a nuclear family really difficult or different.

Being only moderately successful in a college career will relegate most people into drone status of a bottom level "paper pusher". Anymore you need an above average academic career to see any benefit from your academic career....even then it's no guarantee that you will be able to apply what you have learned. (Few are)

The job market is changing and with AI becoming broadly available most low level office jobs are going away...replaced with a computer program.

We had a half-year gunsmithing course in HS metal shop.....Yeah, and we brought guns to school and kept them in our lockers.

My project was a old .303 Brit #1 MKIII Enfield I made into a Sporter.....I still have it.

You could split your year between wood and metal shop.

There already is a shortage.

The thing is all these kids who fell for the go to college , go deep in debt, to get a good job could have made more money in the trades.

I made my living in the trades and instead of having a pile of debt to pay off for an "education" I bought my first rental property before I was 25

And a person with a trade skill need never be unemployed.

One guy in the class a year before me was so taken with gunsmithing that he went to a gunsmithing school in AZ, came back and apprenticed for a few years at a local shop.

The last I heard of him was that he was hired at a big shop in CO.

He built me a really nice .308 on a Remington action in a bedded Bell & Carlson stock. Sub half-MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards. I've taken a shit-ton of deer and bear with it.

The rifle is on the 4-wheeler rack.

001 (2).jpg

Another thing about a trade like gunsmithing.....You don't beat yourself up and can usually work as long as your eyes/hands hold out....Lot of "under the table" money to be made too. ;)

What about electronics, IT ,and Robotics shops .....along with auto shop ,welding and wood working

I'm sure counties could repurpose and old school building and set up a whole trade school for kids who are more interested in something like that ....

Ahh that would make to much sense...what we need is more dei and anal sex studies
At least one IA course was required in junior high when I attended.

Forum List

Back