What era would you like to live in?

We had less persecution and more acceptance in the height of McCarthyism in the 50s' than we than we do with this weird anti white SJW hysteria NOW. McCarthyism didn't hold a candle to what is happening NOW. I lived trough the that, THIS is way worse.

What ever era it would have to have air conditioning. I grew up when air conditioning was an option...My grandparents said it ruined you to have air conditioning, my Dad had slow blood pressure so if it was one hundred degrees it was just right, the army didn't have air conditioning and neither did my aunts and cousins....We had it at home.

For air conditioning, I just fill a 5 gallon bucket with saltwater and ice and strap it into the passenger side of my pickup truck, riding shotgun.

Sorta like this...but much more efficient.

Even on a 100 degree day in the blazing sun, within minutes it will make the cab of my1976 Chevy truck get so fucking cold that you have to roll down the window.

Bucket
Ice
Salt
Water
A few pieces of pipe
A cheap fan

And it will keep beers ice cold too.

Last edited:
The 1920s

The Roman Empire

The Egyptian Old Kingdom

Before the Deluge many thousands of years ago.

There you are.:biggrin:

The 1920s

The Roman Empire

The Egyptian Old Kingdom

Before the Deluge many thousands of years ago.

There you are.:biggrin:

In antiquity, the Roman Empire was the place to be, no doubt about it.

Indoor plumbing, yet still before the invention of pants so you didn't have to worry about gaining weight.

or some island hopping
878e756864f2d57c00e6550f0a4c3b94.gif

I'd love to go back to America in the mid 50's. The music, the zeitgeist.

I'd love to go back to the 1090's, when Urban II proclaimed the 1st Crusade and manly men from all over Europe gathered to organize against Islamic Terrorism that was arising in the middle east. Must have been a tremendous time to live.
Knowing what you know now I bet you wouldn't like it. I'm with Mary, late forties or early 50's.

This one.

Technology is better. Food is better. Medicine is better. We live longer lives. We work less hard and we have more wealth.

I have no idea why people pine for a past period, other than an idealized nostalgia that never really existed.

If I have to go back in time then why not the beginning of humanity and end this failed experiment?

I have to tend to agree but I wouldn’t want to be a kid in today time because let face it we had better times when we were young versus the youth today!

Me, too!

I was a teenager then.

The most evil thing that some fellow students of mine did was to smoke -- cigarettes!

Los Angeles was so clean and orderly and peaceful.

I used to walk at NIGHT around the university without any thought whatsoever of crime.

Yes, I know that the 1950s had its negative aspects: women were expected to keep their place, non-Caucasian groups were expected to keep their place, gays were expected to be celibate or the cops would throw into jail, etc.

I have said for years that I was born about 20 years too late.
I was born in 1965, would rather have been about 1945.

1) Retirement was still, for many, "30 and out". Like my father, who retired at 56.
2) Real, honest pension plans. They died in the 1980s. It didn't cost you one penny. (Note these are not the sudo pension plans of the 80s - 90s)
3) Before corporatism turned every city in America into "Anytown, USA". Stores/restaurants were overwhelmingly locally owned. And you could still get things fixed instead of just buying a new one.
4) Before wage stagnation, the death of benefits and healthcare didn't cost as much as your house.
5) Neighbors actually talked to each other, played cards, horse shoes etc. People ....wait for it.... went outside.
6) Everything wasn't political. And the government was at least "mostly" interested in doing the right thing. Today the federal government is wholly and completely corrupt. Both sides. We are no longer a Republic. We are a corporatocracy.

I can go on.

This one.

Technology is better. Food is better. Medicine is better. We live longer lives. We work less hard and we have more wealth.

I have no idea why people pine for a past period, other than an idealized nostalgia that never really existed.

I think we often miss out on enjoying life and failing to notice that things are getting better and better. It would make no sense for humankind to make things worse and worse. The human species thrives on being dissatisfied so maybe are dissatisfaction is what motivates us to make things better. Oh what a paradox! That's humans for ya. We are smart but not on purpose. Being dumb is what we do intentionally. It is strange but I wouldn't trade my lot in life as a human with a typical farm chicken.

This one.

I think we often miss out on enjoying life and failing to notice that things are getting better and better. It would make no sense for humankind to make things worse and worse. The human species thrives on being dissatisfied so maybe are dissatisfaction is what motivates us to make things better. Oh what a paradox! That's humans for ya. We are smart but not on purpose. Being dumb is what we do intentionally. It is strange but I wouldn't trade my lot in life as a human with a typical farm chicken.
Yeah.... no.
It is a bit juvenile/sophomoric to believe this.
Some things are better, some are worse. Some are a lot better, some are a lot worse.
The middle class has been getting fucked for 40 years straight. And getting worse. Wage stagnation is almost cast in rebar reinforced concrete now.
Benefits reduction is unbelievable.
The cost of health insurance is stupid high. Even though....wait for it... the cost of healthcare has consistently gone down.
I could go on for pages.
Both sides.

Forum List

Back